mag 340 & 2219 arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RWBell

mag 340 & 2219 arrows

Post by RWBell »

Hi - I am new to the forum and Excalibur. Bought a new mag340 and 6 factory arrows (and am now anxiously waiting for the spring time to take it out and get it all set up). I used to use another brand of crossbow (compound) that uses 2219 arrows, had a speed of around 300fps, used a capture nock, 4" fletchings, and a length of 24" (exclusive of the tip) in both carbon & aluminum. So there is plenty of room for me to cut these arrows down at the nock end and put square (threaded) inserts into them and then put on new fletchings. A few questions I am hoping someone can answer for me. (1) Are the 2219 arrows okay to use with the mag340? (2) It was suggested to me that 18" arrows work better than the 16.6" - True of false? and should I just stay with the factory length and the 2" fletchings? (3) Could I go as long as 20" arrows, and if so should I go to the larger (i.e. 4") fletching? (I know the longer length as well as the larger fletchings will slow the arrow slightly, but I like the extra mass for better penetration). I hunt both deer and bear. Thank you in advance to anyone who can give me sound advice.
PS - The reason for the new cross bow : the cables for the compound have worn through to the covering where they cross the metal separation bar and the metal of the cables is now showing and I can not get new cables. But it has served me well for 30 years - so it does not owe me anything.
Boo

Re: mag 340 & 2219 arrows

Post by Boo »

Welcome to the forum! 2219s are fine and fairly common amongst guys who shoot aluminum. They do yield a heavier arrow though and you want a good amount of FOC for better accuracy. Four inch fletchings are ok as long as they aren't too soft. A broadhead that hangs out past the stirrup can easily be nudged out of the flight groove as well as cut unintended objects like a ground blind. Most keep it just short of the stirrup. Too short and you run the risk of poking your foot when you let the string down if you forget to remove the arrow (it'd been done countless times). The shorter the arrow the more weight up front you need to get the FOC up for accuracy. Those 2219s are not light weight so longer means heavier. However, there's nothing wrong with a slower heavier arrow. Your capture nocks will probably be too tight for the fat strings used on an Excalibur.
Steel cables? You're right, its so old it can't owe you anything!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

I've shot a lot of 2216 and 2219 out of my Excal's back in the day. 2219's will be fine!
You can measure and cut them to your specific length preference between 16 and 20". The broadhead position ideally between the riser and stirrup as noted .
As mentioned above by Boo, I also suggest a heavy front insert at 110 gr +.
Fletching choice is a preference. 2" to 2.25" handles mechanicals and small profile compact fixed heads well.
Bigger profile / cut fixed heads can benefit from 3" + fetching to stabilize arrow flight.
Excal arrows do perform well with helical fletching orientation.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
RWBell

Post by RWBell »

Thanks to both Boo & Normous for your (immediate) input. Think I will try 18" with the 2"vanes that have an offset. I use mechanical broadheads. Will let you know how they turn out once spring time comes. Once again - thanks!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

RW congratulations on the new 340 Mag!
You have been given solid advise by everyone but I wanted to chime in as well as my current set up is a 340 with 2219 xx75 shafts.
I shoot 16 inch length arrows and it is perfect for a low profile fixed broadhead ( Slick trick 150 xbow ) reaching to the far side of the stirrup but not extending past , this is important as a safety feature when uncocking with the rope cocker your foot will hit the bolt and not allow you to forget to take the bolt off before uncocking and putting the bolt through your foot .
You will be well served with some weight up front I shoot a 150 grain Broadhead with an extra long aluminum insert looks like a standard aluminum insert but is about a half inch longer
https://www.amazon.com/Easton-Insert-2219/dp/B00EGSAM9G/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=2219+inserts&qid=1708281112&sr=8-7
This is a heavy hard hitting arrow that has passed through everything I have shoot at and i am very happy with it .
My speed dial is set at 280 with this set up I have not chronographed it but I like my results on game.
Their are other heaver insert options out their if you like a certain light broadhead but I have opted for a heavy Broadhead and the extended aluminum insert .
I use an arrow squaring tool on my shafts and then on the front and rear inserts after installation.
My fletching is standard Blazers put on with a Arizona EZ Fletch Helical bolt jig and Gorilla super glue.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Normous

Post by Normous »

RWBell wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:59 am
Thanks to both Boo & Normous for your (immediate) input. Think I will try 18" with the 2"vanes that have an offset. I use mechanical broadheads. Will let you know how they turn out once spring time comes. Once again - thanks!
About 1.5 to 2 Deg. offset with mechanicals will be fine.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family