Blood trails

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Re: Blood trails

Post by XB I GO »

I like American Broadhead Company and killed all my deer for the past 10-years with their Sonic from my vertical bow. With the Excaliburs we use the same company's Bolt (in the M380) and Liberty (in the M340). None of them cut wide, the Sonic is under a 1" cut. The Bolt is 1.025 and the Liberty is 1.25 inch. But, these are razor sharp steak knives (all 3 blade). You can shave with them out of the box but they are also thick at the spine of the blade. Hardly a deer makes goes 25-yards and 50-yards is far. This is with good shot placement. I can only think of one deer where there wasn't a pass-through. We used American Broadhead Company products on rams, hogs, a longhorn, Ibex, antelope and bear all with great results. The Bolt products were out of stock for over a year as the Company changed some things, so I got the Innerlok 150 grain expendables. These needed sharpening right out of the package. What a pain, I spent between a half and a whole hour PER broadhead to get the 3 blades shaving sharp. We've shot a few deer with these from the M380 and the M340. Once I get them scary sharp and put them back together they're great. 100% pass through on 10 or 12 deer. The blood trails are ridiculous! The cut seem gigantic both in and out. I'm going with if it aint broke, dont fix it. As long as I can get Sonic for vertical bow, Liberty for the 340 and Bolt for the 340 or 380 I am going to keep using them. The back up for the crossbows is the Innerlock 150 grain expandable. If the American Broadheads become unavailable in Sonic for vertical bow, I will have a long hard look at what else is out there. Sharpness and durability first, tip,flight, then width of cut last.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

AJ01 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:30 am
Exit wound. 25-yard recovery. 2" cut Mean Green. Blood everywhere.
I was impressed! :lol:

Yep!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Longbow42

Post by Longbow42 »

I've had great performance for the most part using large mechs out of my vertical and xbows. Being a BH junky, I'm always buying and testing BH's and have thrown many away over the years. I got my first excalibur last year as I shot a longbow exclusively for about 20 years and have been fortunate to take a lot of big game animals, with my largest a 52" bull moose. To me, Excaliburs are made to shoot big fixed blade BH's. Last year I shot the 1.5" DeadX Bloodflow which is massive. This year, I am shooting the newer B3 Destruct Max. It flies amazing as blades are curved and offset; it's also a 3 blade 1.4" cut. Blade edge was ok, but on my Lanky, was able to get very sharp. Can't wait to try them out with the RevX.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I like the creative way on the destruct they use a simple screw....ingeniously simple but cool and efficient.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Longbow42 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:54 pm
I've had great performance for the most part using large mechs out of my vertical and xbows. Being a BH junky, I'm always buying and testing BH's and have thrown many away over the years. I got my first excalibur last year as I shot a longbow exclusively for about 20 years and have been fortunate to take a lot of big game animals, with my largest a 52" bull moose. To me, Excaliburs are made to shoot big fixed blade BH's. Last year I shot the 1.5" DeadX Bloodflow which is massive. This year, I am shooting the newer B3 Destruct Max. It flies amazing as blades are curved and offset; it's also a 3 blade 1.4" cut. Blade edge was ok, but on my Lanky, was able to get very sharp. Can't wait to try them out with the RevX.
Welcome to the forum LB42!👍
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

longbow joe wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:43 pm
I like the creative way on the destruct they use a simple screw....ingeniously simple but cool and efficient.
Looks like a RamCat with better blades maybe. Still kinda thin IMO.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

200gr VPA 3 blade or 2 blade single bevel for me.
I sharpen the 3 blades on a curved sharpener to reduce the angle to 44 degrees. Very sharp. Very deadly.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><