happiness is owning a MAG 340!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RWBell

happiness is owning a MAG 340!

Post by RWBell »

Just got back in from sighting in my new MAG340. WHAT A FANTASTIC LITTLE XBOW! SO QUIET, DEADLY ACCURATE, SMOOTH and ABSOLUTELY NO VIBRATION (unlike my old 30 year old compound xbow, which is 3 pounds heavier and much, much noisier). I had somewhat sighted it IN using a laser level in the basement (at about 30 feet), so I started out at 15 yards. 1st and 2nd shots were together, but low by 4" and right by 2". Totally shocked at how smooth it was! Made some sight adjustments - shot 2 more - then refined it again. Then shot 3 more - all in the 2 inch bullseye. Backed up to 20 yards. Shot once - needed a little more adjustment (1" up and 1/2 inch left) - shot 2 more - both in 2 inch circle. Backed up to 30 yards, and used the 30 yard up-arrow in the scope and hit the dead centre. Now ----- waiting for the fall deer season!!! All those shots were with the arrows supplied with the bow (which I believe are 2213??). I have a lot of 2219 arrows (both aluminum and carbon fiber) so I cut 2 down - one at 16.5" (to match the supplied arrow for comparison sake) and one at 18". I shot those two arrows at 20 yards - they drop 2" lower and are a tad slower (though not enough to worry about when hunting) - but the penetration is FAR greater with the 2219's. The vane-side of the supplied arrows stuck out of the target by 4 - 6", while the 2219 were completely buried - had to pull them all the way through the target. So, I think that I will cut all my old arrows down to 16.5" and put 2" vanes (used to be 4" vanes) on them and that is what I will be using for hunting. TOTALLY HAPPY with the crossbow and would definitely recommend it! Thanks you EXCALIBER. :thumbup:
grouse

Re: happiness is owning a MAG 340!

Post by grouse »

Welcome to the club! I look forward to reading about your successful hunts this coming season.
axiom
350 SE
Normous

Post by Normous »

Welcome to the forum!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Welcome to the forum! The 340 is one popular bow and for good reason!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome to the Excalibur Forum. That is one great model for sure.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Congrats on the new bow! The 340 is a work horse!
Welcome to the Forum from Texas! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
TCX

Post by TCX »

It's a Excalibur..what's not to like.
Congrats! :D :thumbup:
Matrix 310- XX75 18" 2215
Ibex SMF- XX75 20" 2216
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

From one 340 shooter to another welcome to the club I have been happy with mine ,It is the fastest Excal I can comfortably rope cock being vertically challenged in the height department and played a a roll in my purchasing it .
I also shoot 2219 xx75 bolts and have many harvest with them with no issues, they hit hard and pass through large deer no problem .
I recommend different aiming points for every shot taken in practice so as not to damage your bolts.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Welcome! Don't forget to blue loc tite those scope base screws or else they will come lose.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
RWBell

Post by RWBell »

Thanks for that little tip - will do so before I go out and practice some more. I've cut down my old 2219's and am waiting for the new nocks to come into the store and then I can fletch 12 of them with 2" vanes - then go practice - practice - practice!! lol :thumbup: