Spring Texas hog hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Carnivorous

Spring Texas hog hunting

Post by Carnivorous »

Any forum members live near Spring Texas?

I'll be there mid April and wondering if there are any good hog hunting ranches in the area for hog hunting with my crossbow? :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
XB I GO

Re: Spring Texas hog hunting

Post by XB I GO »

wolfden
in Columbus
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Thanks! Found it...

http://wolfpenhunts.com/
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

It is also Spring Turkey season in Texas during April. Might look for a combo hunt. Get you a Rio Grand to go with y’all Easterns.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:44 am
It is also Spring Turkey season in Texas during April. Might look for a combo hunt. Get you a Rio Grand to go with y’all Easterns.
Nice!!! God bless Texas!!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Jeff, that whole area is loaded with hogs. You should be able to find plenty of places to fill your needs. For Turkeys, you'll need to move west from there. Might be a few in that area, but nothing like you'll find in Central Texas. Lots of places around San Antonio and Bandera to hunt Turkeys.
What we call the Edwards Plateau area is full of Thunder Chickens!!

If you're driving, all these areas can be reached in a few hours from Spring.

If you travel up toward Toledo Bend or Sam Rayburn Lake area, you'll find Eastern Turkeys in a few counties (Angelina being the primary), for spring. But no Rio's.
Just remember, Texas is like 95% private land. Hunts can be costly. I'd invite you to hunt Easterns at one of my places, but Texas Parks and Wildlife closed our spring season. Seems there wasn't a sufficient number of young birds that made it thru the drought last summer.

Both the Sam and Toledo are also lousy with White Bass and Crappie this time of year.

Good luck on your quest.

https://texaswildhoghunting.com/services.html
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

AJ01 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:39 am
Jeff, that whole area is loaded with hogs. You should be able to find plenty of places to fill your needs. For Turkeys, you'll need to move west from there. Might be a few in that area, but nothing like you'll find in Central Texas. Lots of places around San Antonio and Bandera to hunt Turkeys.

If you travel up toward Toledo Bend or Sam Rayburn Lake area, you'll find Eastern Turkeys in a few counties (Angelina being the primary), for spring. But no Rio's.
Just remember, Texas is like 95% private land. Hunts can be costly. I'd invite you to hunt Easterns at one of my places, but Texas Parks and Wildlife closed our spring season. Seems there wasn't a sufficient number of young birds that made it thru the drought last summer.

Both the Sam and Toledo are also lousy with White Bass and Crappie this time of year.

Good luck on your quest.

Appreciate the information.

I'll be there for my future son in laws bachelor party. So between going to the ballet :mrgreen: and whatever else we get in to maybe we can squeeze in a hog hunt! Lol
Normous

Post by Normous »

Nothing could go wrong in Texas during a bachelor party :wtf: :problem:
Hope you mysteriously don't end up in Vegas playing pissing in Mike Tysons pool and playing with his pet cat :eusa-doh:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
janesy

Post by janesy »

Carnivorous wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:55 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:39 am

Good luck on your quest.

Appreciate the information.

I'll be there for my future son in laws bachelor party. So between going to the ballet :mrgreen: and whatever else we get in to maybe we can squeeze in a hog hunt! Lol
You can't go to your future SIL's bachelor party Jeff.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Normous wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:29 pm
Nothing could go wrong in Texas during a bachelor party :wtf: :problem:
Hope you mysteriously don't end up in Vegas playing pissing in Mike Tysons pool and playing with his pet cat :eusa-doh:
Let's see, just a few miles up the road from Downtown Houston, 4th largest city in the USA. (Spring is basically a suburb of Houston), Houston is the largest city in Texas. Bars that are open 23 out of 24 hours, not far from the Mexican border, not far from the Gulf Coast.
The list CAN go on..... :wtf: :lol:

Naahhh....nothing could go wrong in Houston. :eusa-naughty: :mrgreen:
At least it has 2 major airports for escape. Bush Intercontinental is the closest to Spring!! :lol: :lol:

Just remember this....Gulf Coast.... Lots of Bull Sharks.....no one will ever know!!! :eusa-popcorn:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Spring break road trip to Texas maybe 10+ years ago:

Kid (my youngest) is now 25 and getting married this summer. Toured NASA and then spent a day/night camped at Flightattendants place with a bunch of other forum members on a lake that i don't remember the name of. Killed a whack of hogs and a blackbuck after that somewhere in the Hill Country. Field dressed them all and then flash froze them all in a walk in freezer. Put a big azz tarp down in the box of my 1-ton and went to a bulk ice station somewhere and put 1000lbs of ice in the box for $70. Drove back to the walk in and loaded the frozen hogs on top. Went back to the bulk station and put 1500 lbs of ice on top of the hogs for another $100. Tied the tarp shut and drove home 2000 miles in a day and half. Hogs were still frozen solid when i got home but pretty sure i left a pinkish/red watery trail all the way from the Hill Country to Dufferin County. Fun times.

OP - Enjoy the trip - Texas is a special place.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend