The Barbary Sheep

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

The Barbary Sheep

Post by XB I GO »

My Dad and brother officiated a wedding as the Pastor and assistant. In return the bride's parents gave us permission to hunt their ranch. They said it was "bigger than Rhode Island", and it might be since it is about 34-square miles. This a primarily a gas ranch with not much sign of humans. The Malone Mountains and the Sierra Tinaja Pinta Mountains make it feel like anyplace but Texas. The Oh-Dad, Aw-Dad or A-Yo-Dad depending on your dialect is really spelled Aoudad and otherwise known as the Barbary Sheep.

They told us a few people have been able to get a Barbary Sheep with a high-powered rifle at long range. They said odds were against us and there was no way to get close enough to put the Excalibur to work. They said we could spend a month and not see any. They said is we walked up the mountain we'd disturb them and they'd be gone. We went anyway. Even though would have one hunter the other 3 of us could be important for dealing with anything that comes up when your cell phone doesn't work and it's an hour drive to get back to the pavement.

When we got there we found the maintenance house that has some beds, two bathrooms and a generator for electricity. From there, we could watch the peak and the trails running down from it with a spotting scope and binoculars. We got lucky, we spotted a small group of Aoudad on the first evening right at dark. The next day we split up. My Dad found a few walking down on a main trail just as the sun came up. My brothers and I found a group in the bottom of a canyon far away and possibly on someone else's property. None of them seemed that big anyway. We did not see any on the next day or night. The following day we all saw some in different spots. My Dad saw what he thought was a big one. It popped up over a peak for a second and then hours later it came out on a ledge. Later, it looked like the same one was on top of the two spots he was seen, kind of making a triangle.

My Dad figured it was only a mile away. He left the maintenance house in the middle of the night. His plan was to move up there and sleep in the Aoudad's backyard. He told me to watch my phone for text, which seemed to work even though the phone signal did not. If the big ram was going to do what he had, he would come down to an intersection of trails and be there about 8AM. My Dad said when the sun came up he was a little off his mark and could not see the trails to the right. He could see in front, and a trail angling in from the left and one 90 degrees to the left. There's a little pocket where the trails meet that will put an animal within 30-yards in about a 60 foot by 100 foot window.

My Dad said his head when hanging to the left as he opened his eyes. In just seconds a giant ram appeared. It did not come in on any of the trails we found but on a small ancillary "trail" that was just a worn path about 6-inches wide. Also, it was only 7:16AM. Dad says he knew immediately this was a big one due to the mane and chaps flowing off of it and the fact that it was alone. He eased the M380 up while the ram was stopped just to the left. The ram took one more step and turned his head staring towards my Dad. We believe in the HECS technology - a carbon fiber grip that uses the Faraday Cage principle to block human electrical output. Animals might know you're there but they can't figure out what you are. Dad said the ram looked puzzled and was staring hard trying to figure out what this thing was. He found the money spot in the Leupold scope and sent the BEZS with a InnerLock 150 grain 3-blade toward the ram. The shot ended up just 18-yards! Dad said the noise from impact reminded him of stopping on an empty soda can.

I got a text. Get up. Start coming this way. Use binos, look for orange flag. I tried to wake my brothers but they weren't budging so I headed out. I ran until I couldn't and I climbed as fast as I could. It was a long time before I got there. My Dad hadn't moved an inch. We looked for the bolt and found it with the lighted knock on. Two blades of the InnerLock were broken off but the bolt was covered with blood. Dad told me the story quickly and I helped him find blood. The blood trail was pretty solid but it seemed like we went a long way. It is amazing that a big animal that's shot can go along such skinny, tough paths. It took us probably 15-minutes but there he was. He was already bloated even though it was just a few hours and only in around 60-degrees. The shot was true, severing the top of the heart and catching both lungs.

We cut the skin in front of the hips and peeled it forward, then separated the shoulders. This was our first load. We rigged up a way to both carry this. So we have the head and front legs and 3/4 of the skin all together. When we got down we weighed it and it was 116 pounds!. We made another trip where we took the backstraps and both hams and we packed a set each. The hams and backstraps were another 80-pounds. We took a long rest before my Dad caped the animal and then de-boned all the meat. It was 4PM before we got to the nearest town. The lady that took the meat to process weighed everything and looked at the horns and teeth. She said the ram was about 11-years old and likely 350 pounds live weight. She flash-froze the cape for us which took about 3 hours. It was a very long ride back but my brothers drove most of it. This is probably our greatest crossbow trophy so far!

gerald strine

Re: The Barbary Sheep

Post by gerald strine »

Wow congratulations to your father he earned that harvest with his determination to spend the night in the hills and get in undetected .
Great job packing the harvest out on that very fine trophy it is a very impressive animal.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Congratulations to you and your dad and happy Easter! :thumbup:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

My Dad, Oh-Dad, Aw-Dad or A-Yo-Dad had me laughing from the start!

That's and amazing trophy for sure. Good plan sitting at the maintenance house studying animal movements habits. That saved you a lot of time and wasted energy. It separates the experienced hunters from the beginners.

Oh Dads got it!!!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

That's awesome, congratulations on a great ram! :thumbup:

Happy Easter!
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
grouse

Post by grouse »

Congratulations to both of you and thanks for posting an interesting story!
axiom
350 SE
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Great hunt ,
Congratulations. :thumbup:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

GREAT story. Your Dad sent me a pic, but I didn’t know all the rest. Really nice.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Just WOW!! :thumbup:

Congrats indeed!
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Congrats on one hellova story and trophy!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats to all on the great sheep
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Impressive harvest with archery gear, congrats to all!
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
CBRon

Post by CBRon »

Congrats to your dad on that beutiful animal . And great story by you.. :thumbup:
VIXEN 2 , PHOENIX
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

That's what its all about! Congrats! :thumbup:
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Great story. Thanks for sharing.