Off Grid Abitibi for end of Season Win

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

Off Grid Abitibi for end of Season Win

Post by Species8472 »

Sunday morning at 1130 my nephew and i hit the road bound for Abitibi. Had to make a 45 minute pit stop at the cottage to pickup gear and had a few anxious moments with the truck. Truck is brand new and i misjudged the range and we almost ran out of diesel in the middle of nowhere. Found some with less than 2 litres left in the tank. Tank is 136 litres and put 134.2 litres in when i filled it. Got to hotel fine had a few drinks and hit the sack.

The next morning dawned sunny, clear, no wind and plus 4 or 5. Absolutely perfect. At the end of the road preparing for the 8km ride by snowmobile to the lake:

We went in on the Munro Lake Road and drove 20 km in to where the trail starts. Road condition was terrible and it took 90 minutes each way to travel the 20km. Truck could have done it faster without the snowmobile trailer but that trailer is a highway trailer and any faster and i fear it would have come apart. Few pics of the road:

The trail in was in fantastic shape and the smoothest i ever remember it. Some years it is horrible. Set a personal best and covered the 8k in 12 minutes towing the toboggan:

We set up about 2km out from the end of the trail. 24 inches of clear solid ice and 9 fow. Weather both days was sunny and warm and all fishing was done open air:

Both days saw many walleye, sauger, goldeye and even some perch caught. We kept a limit of nice walleye and put a whack back. Also kept about 20 goldeye for the smoker. Sorta lost track but i think it was about 24 walleye, 15 or 16 sauger and a ton of goldeye.

Select pics:

Nephew:

Myself:

13.5 inch Goldeye:

Largest Walleye was 21 inches and a bunch 17 to 19 inches. Was a great few days other than sunburned faces which i will happily accept.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
IronNoggin

Re: Off Grid Abitibi for end of Season Win

Post by IronNoggin »

Awesome!
Fun in the Sun and Great grits too boot! :thumbup:

Congrats!
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Always love your trip pictures and post.
looks like a beautiful outing with out the drama of the last trip.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

My previous truck had a Warne front bumper and 16 ton winch. I would have loved to transfer them to my present truck. Sadly, the bells and whistles (and sensors) on my current truck preclude any such practicality. So, my truck is now a sissy model. No heavy bumper, no winch.

I sense that you are a pretty handy sort of guy. You likely know the drill to bleed air out of a diesel fuel line if you run the engine out of fuel.

Nice fishing. You make me jealous. My fishing buddy died of cancer a couple of years ago and I've hardly winter fished since then.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Hi5 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:12 pm
You likely know the drill to bleed air out of a diesel fuel line if you run the engine out of fuel.

Nice fishing. You make me jealous. My fishing buddy died of cancer a couple of years ago and I've hardly winter fished since then.
Yeah been there done that with the diesel. Sorry to hear about your buddy - RIP. Mostly i go out solo but if my kids are in town I go out with them and usually do 2 trips every winter with my nephew. He is one the few hardcore outdoor kids i have met from his generation who is willing to try anything and actually respects and wants to learn from us older guys. He is a good kid, good company and i enjoy encouraging and teaching him when i can - drives my sister nuts as she is sure i am going to get him killed one of these days. Skipped him across his first open water pressure crack on this trip - LOL - pretty sure he won't divulge that to my sister.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

artifact

Post by artifact »

Great pics. and looks like you got some fine eating there, those road pics. remind me of when we used to hunt Maine.
Normous

Post by Normous »

How was the break-in fuel mileage?
Do you like the KUIU pants?
My favorite clothing brand I might add.
Last edited by Normous on Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Kind of crazy. It's been boating season here in Windsor since end of February and we had zero ice to fish on. I bet those walleye taste better than ours. Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Normous wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:41 pm
How was the break-in fuel mileage?
Do you like the KUIU pants?
My favorite clothing brand I might add.
So not done the break in yet - only had the truck for 8 days. Unloaded on the highway the milage is currently about 10% worse than my old truck. Right now new truck it is getting about 12.5 L/100. Towing the snowmobile trailer it is getting about 10% better than the old truck at +/- 17 L/100.

Love the Kuiu pants. Warm, dry, light, waterproof, breathable and pocket layout is excellent.

Normous

Post by Normous »

The newest KUIU PROXIMITY Whitetail Series is fantastic.
My wife and I each wear it down below 40 F with just a miidlayer.
Kudos to the KUIU designer who came up with the final rendering.

Light weight, excellent ergonomics, pit zips, full length leg zippers, great hood fit, lots of pockets and huge inside drop pockets.
All at a reasonable cost.
Highly recommend.

It's not what I would wear in downpour . That's what dedicated rain jackets are for.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

It doesn't get any better than that!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher