3D Shoot at the CSC on Jan. 30, 2005

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

10Ring

3D Shoot at the CSC on Jan. 30, 2005

Post by 10Ring »

I have not posted one of these for a while, this is for information purposes because it is a small shoot and I honestly don't know how far folks would want to travel for it.

Location: CSC (Canadian Sportsman's Club) of Fort Erie, Ontario

14 Target Fun Shoot (Outdoor)

January 30, 2005

Random Start; 8:30 with a 1:30 Cutoff

Cost; $7.00 Adults, $5.00 Juniors, Cubs Free

Open to ALL types of archery equipment

Lunch Available

This will be a go, regardless of weather.

Practice/warm up range is available at no cost for participants

We have a 2,500 sq ft fully serviced clubhouse

We are only setting 14 targets due to;

- reduced turnouts in recent years
- unpredictable weather
- small work parties with an average age of 50+

We will see how this one goes.
10Ring
PRB

Post by PRB »

I like everything you wrote except the part about reduced turnouts :cry: . I hope you have three times the people there this time.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

Pineyriverbuck wrote:I like everything you wrote except the part about reduced turnouts :cry: . I hope you have three times the people there this time.
Thanks

For some background, I used to post a lot here.

I posted this just in case anyone in the immediate area reads it and might want to come to the shoot. IMHO it is too small a shoot for anyone to be expected to make a 2+ hour drive to attend.

Our club is on 45 acres with some nice trails on it for 3D. We have been a small trapshooting club for 50 years.

In 1996 we started our 3D program (for everything from longbows to crossbows to open class compound) and it grew fantastically. In 2001, we would get 60 to 100 shooters to one of these winter shoots; everyone seemed to have a good time and "issues" and complaints were few. Last year we were averaging 20 to 30.

The other clubs in the immediate area have the same situation. I phoned an archery shop about an hour away from here to advise them of the shoot and they reported the same thing.

We love to see visitors who travel for hours to come to shoot and appreciate their efforts to attend; numerous forum memebers have been to our shoots. HOWEVER, the issue in my oppinion, is that we are not getting the support of the local people within 30 minutes drive of here in sufficient numbers to keep the program going, since it has been the locals that have always made up the bulk of the numbers.

It is a lot of work to set a course, especially in the winter and when you get 20 shooters, it does discourage the work party. In our case, it no longer follows the line from the movie "If you build it, they will come".

Having been in the various shooting sports for over 35 years and know that attendance/participation in these things is often cyclic over the years and we hope this is the case and will see a rebound at some point.

3D is one of the shooting sports that is wide open to all ages, even the very young (under supervision), we even have some very light stick bows available for young kids to use. It also provides a place for everyone to practice with and test their equipment as well as meet other hunters/shooters. Time will tell how things work out with our program.
10Ring
A.W

Post by A.W »

Couple of years ago.

[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I want to get out and try some of these shoots, so I'm marking it on my calendar :D .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I was thinking I might give it a try too. Just have to get me some more bolts, I've only got three left.
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

chris4570 wrote:I was thinking I might give it a try too. Just have to get me some more bolts, I've only got three left.
If you are new to 3D (sometimes even if you are not :oops: ) bolt loss can be an issue.

At these fun shoots, our club has no issue with the new shooters "stepping up a little closer", within reason.

Boots are must at these shoots, as is good comfortable outdoor gear. We are on a "class 2 wetland". If there's snow on the ground, that's one thing; if there's a thaw, there will be some wet areas. Although with lower number of targets, they can pick the better locations. With the lower number of targets, we usually charge a reduced rate for those who want to "go around again".
10Ring
TALON

Post by TALON »

Dad and I will be coming too, maybe along with a few friends. :)
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

TALON wrote:Dad and I will be coming too, maybe along with a few friends. :)
Good to hear, lets hope the weather is OK :!:
10Ring
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

10Ring,

If this was a bigger shoot (more targets) I would try to come for sure but it's a long drive for a few targets...trust you will understand.

Due to family stuff I regretfully have to pass on this one. If you are having another shoot this year I will make every effort to come.

Mikey Vee
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

Red Label wrote:If this was a bigger shoot (more targets) I would try to come for sure but it's a long drive for a few targets...trust you will understand.
ABSOLUTELY :D

It is too far to drive for a shoot of this size, I wouldn't do it myself either.

I offer the following merely as a report on the club and our situation locally with the shoots.

This shoot will be interesting, to see what local participation we get from people who are not involved with this forum. It is nice to have visitors, especially those who take the trouble to travel but numerically, 80% of our shooters have come from 30 minutes or less away. It is simple, if these people no longer participate in suffficiant numbers we can't continue with our 3D program.

So the next few shoots may be an indicator of where we go as a club with the 3D program.

It looks like the weather forecast is good, around 32F and we have back bladed the snow on most of the trails involved in the shoot.
10Ring