Exocet 200 "accuracy problems"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Butt

Post by Butt »

Just wandering if anybody has had a chance to sight in further distances yet with the Exocet 200? Seem to be having quite a time getting good groups out 40 to 50 yards :? Have a 3D shoot coming up Jan.30th and have no confidence in this xbow. Already own a Vixen in deerhide brown, it's a tack driver, but really wanted to shoot the new xbow. I am shooting 2216's, five inch fletch 125gr point. Get one bolt to hit right on the money and the next one is 8" to the left. Doesn't seem to be very consistant :evil: Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Butt
Digger

Post by Digger »

Sounds like you may a screw loose ( no pun intended ) check the mounting screws on your scope first then the rest if thats not the cause. Are you using a rope cocking aid , try putting some white out on the string on either side of the rail when its at brace height. Then check that the lines are in the same place when you cock the xbow. These are the problems Ihave run into on my xbows before.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

Hi Butt..first try as Digger has said..if problem still occurs, you must have a scope problem..It happened to me this past fall, i was shooting 8-12" high at about 35-40yds, missing 2 Deer the same morning...i had sent the scope back, and got another...she's shooting just great now. also if you have the varizone, while turning the speed ring, check and see if the cross hairs move up and down at all ( they're not supposed to)..however mine did this as well when i had my proplem..hope this helps Butt..
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads
Butt

Post by Butt »

Digger I do use a cocking aid, checked limb bolts and they are snug, checked scope, it also is tight. One funny thing that I did try and for some unknown reason it made my groups tighter at 20 yards was I removed my stabilizer, but I find this Xbow has noticeable recoil not like a rifle but something like a unforgiving compound bow. Do you know what I mean, some of them fast compounds jump all over the place. Bigbear I had this same scope on my Vixen and it was deadly. I think more than anything I need to find a way to tame this beast down. Any idea's?

Butt
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

My MAX gives me a little problem on tight groups but it is I the shooter, as the extra 25LBS on the trigger makes me pull left. This is me and not the xbow...The trigger needs to smooth up some. futher I shoot the more I see it..
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

Butt..were is your brace height set at?..also is your string square to the rail?..I'm kinda stumped considering that your bolts should weigh 450grs.+...having said that, it should be shooting very smooth with these bolts....i'm shooting 2216's with 4" duravanes (about 4 deg. offset) with 125 tips for 452gr. @ 306fps and find hardly any recoil at all...shoots very smooth and quiet...Good luck..i'm sure you'll get it figured out....BB.
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
Butt

Exocet 200 Accuracy problems

Post by Butt »

Bigbear, my brace height is set at the second line, 1 1/4. Should I take some twist out and put it down to 1 1/8 ? It could very well be what Garyl said about maybe torque. The trigger is a bit more harder than my Vixen. Was considering on trading in for the Phoenix, but really want to get this Exocet shooting.
Butt
BigBear

Re: Exocet 200 Accuracy problems

Post by BigBear »

Butt..i would set the brace height at 1 1/8". One more thing,maybe your trigger is loose..(2 screws that hold the trigger to the mainframe)..this could be causing the problems that your having.Hope this helps.
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
Dude at home

Post by Dude at home »

Grouping and accuracy problems are typically either scope/sight or arrow setup related. My bet is either you have a few bent arrows or your sighting system (scope or peep sights) are loose or have a problem. The bow can't cause the error unless there is something loose or you have a very bad tiller problem. But, being off tiller will still group just not where you want them.

Call me in the office tomorrow and we can talk about it in detail.

Peter
519-743-6890
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Check your bolts 1st. The Ex200 is slamming them into the target with a lot more energy than a Vixen would have. Carbon will cure that little problem. The only other thing as Gary mentioned is maybe your new trigger is stiff to the point that you are jerking the trigger not squeeeeeeeezing it. I know when I went from my old Exocet with a worked trigger to a new one, I had to work at squeeeeeeezing the trigger softly and not moving the bow.
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

Check the tiller measurements. There have been several threads where the tiller was off and this causes all kinds of accuracy problems. As stated above, check that the string is perfectly square to the frame.
dsr

Post by dsr »

Hey Butt
Had your little guy over with his gran the other day.Neat kid. Marg thinks the world of him. Back to the topic. If this bow is really screwing up I'd phone Bill at Excalibur, describe the problem and ask his advice. If anyone knows these bows it's Bill. I spoke to him a few years back and he was very helpful .If there is a problem he would want to know about it especially if it was something that he could rectify during the manufacturing process. Lots of luck!!! DSR
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Beaver I have only read about one Exocet that the tiller was off, and that one was due too a weak limb which don't happen that often. Also as pointed out if your tiller was off your bolts would still shoot the same just not wjere you were aiming.

I bet if it is not the scope/sight that he like I, is jerking the trigger instead of a slow squeeze. I only do this on my Max as the trigger for me is hard to squeeze compared to my other xbows from the EXTRA WEIGHT PULL.

If I take my time which one should do with all shot's it shoots where I want it too, but if I squeeze a little to fast I pull off to the left as I am left handed at shooting. Sure do hope my Max trigger starts feeling smoother :!: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I've been hearing about a tiller. My question is, what part of the Xbow is the tiller, and what's its function or purpose? Much appreciate any advice.

Grey Owl
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

The tiller Grey Owl, is how much each limb is bent. if one limb is weaker than the other, it will bow more than the stronger limb, causing your string not to be square with the rail. Or the tiller could be off, if one limb is longer than the other. I hope this makes sense. You can see if your tiller is off, by putting a square against the rail, if your string is square, your good to go. My Exomax, the tiller is off, but I can still hit a baseball at 30 yds with broadheads, but I wanted to wait till the end of the season, and try to correct the problem. Butt, try taking the scope off, and shooting with peep sights. I know mine are plenty accurate at 20 yds, that would at least tell you if you have a scope problem. Also, are you guys shooting off hand? When I sighted everything in, I laid sand bags on my picnic table, and shot benchrest style, just to take my error out of the equation. Hope some of this helps. Butcher
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain