Major Wisconsin Archery Club Clearly Hates Crossbows!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FlyingAce

Post by FlyingAce »

bstout I know, to a point, where you are coming from. Growing up, I was an avid outdoorsman until a rock climbing accident rendered me paralyzed from the shoulders down with very little movement in my arms and hands (basically enough to operate a electric wheelchair through a joystick and work a computer trackball mouse). For the past couple of years I have hunted the rifle season in Washington that runs from mid-October for two weeks then again in mid-November for 6-8 days with an adapted shooting rig. Due to my quadriplegia I am very sensitive to cold weather. The archery season in Washington runs the whole month of September when the temperature is still in the mid to upper 60s. I have tried the past couple of years to continue to hunt with my rifle, but although the scenery and the thrill of the hunt is still alive and good the cold weather is making it miserable at times. Therefore, the change to hunting the archery season is somewhat of a no-brainer. Plus, the thrill of being within 40 yards of harvestable game with one of the most accurate crossbows is something that I am dying to experience.

As for "traditional" archers and their vertical tunnel vision I pose them this question, "If your physical faculties were, all of a sudden, rendered motionless, would you still not use a crossbow to participate in a sport that you love, or would you let life kick you around even more and take that away too?"
Jim Mace

"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." Gen. George S. Patton

Flying Ace Enterprises Inc.
[url]http://www.flyingaceinc.com[/url]
Fur & Feathers

Post by Fur & Feathers »

According to a New York Bow member there are some things a disabled person just cant do. He told me that with my disability I shouldn't try bowhunting. His statement was that a guy with no legs may want to play basketball but cant. Get over it he said. What a sportsman this guy was.
I informed him that the guy with no legs Can play basketball. There is wheelchair basketball. The wheelchair being his tool that allows him to play. A crossbow would be the tool that allows me to bowhunt. There was no response when asked if he was for banning wheelchairs from gyms. Imagine that.
Get out & Enjoy.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

Fur & Feathers wrote:According to a New York Bow member there are some things a disabled person just cant do. He told me that with my disability I shouldn't try bowhunting. His statement was that a guy with no legs may want to play basketball but cant. Get over it he said. What a sportsman this guy was.
I informed him that the guy with no legs Can play basketball. There is wheelchair basketball. The wheelchair being his tool that allows him to play. A crossbow would be the tool that allows me to bowhunt. There was no response when asked if he was for banning wheelchairs from gyms. Imagine that.
turds like that guy who is so selfish to deny someone who is disabled to hunt should be banned from ever hunting IMHO. These losers have publicly stating that its better that NO DISABLED person hunt than allowing crossbows a foothold

that is the position of the PBS liars btw
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

[quote="bstout"]. They will have to share their self righteous season with people who shoot recurves.
Likewise the self righteous recurve shooters will have to share their season with the unworthy compound bow folks and so on.

Yep, and us firelock shooters have to occupy the same woods as those @##%$%%! per-cussin folks and even the (gasp) inline idiots :o).
Greg
BUCKeYeHunter

of all the bows i've seen shoot

Post by BUCKeYeHunter »

the excal is the most accurate...ok,first question i have is----if xbows were legal for deerhunting in your state,would more people hunt? and/or would it effect vertical bow sales? even here in ohio where xbows are lega to hunt with(but not exomax :roll: 200lb draw limit) where many do hunt with xbows.the point saying is that when going for a record,with certian equipment,it may be more favorable to a hunter to use a compound bow that meets criteria.......maybe someone should be founder of some hunting club that recognizes xbow records like the pope&young for xbows :idea: i know of some local 3D shoots but xcals aren't invited,i betcha my excal can shoot as well as any one of them.why couldnt we form a group right now? :P oh well........fun bs'n for a minute anyway.checkback
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

BUCKeYeHunter

I doubt that the introduction of crossbows would significantly increase the total number of hunters. I think there would be some muzzleloader and many general firearms hunters migrate to the early archery season if they were allowed crossbows.

I think the sale of compounds wou go down but I would not want to try and calculate just how much. I don't think it would have any effect on the sale or use of longbows or recurve bows(traditional)

What botheers me is that in my state(Virginia) crossbows are only allowed for the handicapped. It seems to me that the handicapped are those that have the most difficulty or find in near impossible to use a crossbow. I don't have the full use of the middle finger and index finger on my right hand. Even with the rope cocking aid, I can't cock a crossbow. Plese don't laugh, but I can only cock a crossbow by the use of a wrist strap release(as used for shooting a compound) on each wrist and sitting in a straight back chair.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Beaver reads like you should get a Crank-a-roo or a Acru draw from tenpoint. Would sure make things better for you. I have and use both and either is great, but the CrankAroo is faster and cheaper.. :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!