Tree stand height???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Benooneb

Tree stand height???

Post by Benooneb »

I was looking at hunting footage and i notice the height of there tree stand, some of theme look pretty high, My stand is at 13-15 feet, just wondering at what height yours were?
ExcalBeliever

Post by ExcalBeliever »

I hunt primarily from a climber,

tree stand height will vary between 18' - 26'. My "pull-up" rope is 25' long from the hand climber/seat portion of my Summit Viper climbing tree stand.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

15 to 18 on my ladder stand. I set on the side of a hill so I am shooting deer that are 20-23 feet below where my feet are
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

I use 15 foot ladder stands thats it.
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I use a Northstarr climber...I usually climb to 22 ft. I have a 25' rope for pull up. No matter how high you hunt, please use some type of safety belt/harness.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

i usually hunt from a 15 foot ladder stand, but i do know one guy that has never been off the ground more than 8 feet and he has killed plenty of deer
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Moreland

Post by Moreland »

I am usually about 12' off the ground, i'd like to be a bit higher, but can't teach the old guys new tricks, and they always have to help me when I want to build a new stand. I built a ladder stand in manufacturing though that is 15' I will hopefully do a bit of hunting from that next season.
It's not a Passion. It's and Obsession.
PRB

Post by PRB »

15' for me. I dont feel comfortable going any higher than that( I'm scared :oops: )
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
maddog

Post by maddog »

I use a 15' ladder stand mostly. My feet are at 14'. This has been very adequate for many years. Rarely do deer ever see me. I see some guys go up to 25 - 30 feet. Way too high for me!
But to each his own!
shifty

Post by shifty »

Ive shot deer and bear from the ground on up to 20 ft and dont care how high you are if the wind isnt in your favor dont hunt it.
Old Kid

Post by Old Kid »

My wife isn't happy high up ,so her stand this year was@ 4 feet off the ground. She took a button within the first 20 minutes sitting it. About a week later I sat the same stand & took an 8 pointer after abou 45 minut
es.
Most of my other stands range in height from 8 -15 feet depending on cover & location.
If it's ain't fun ....don't do it !!!
Old Kid

Post by Old Kid »

My wife isn't happy high up ,so her stand this year was@ 4 feet off the ground. She took a button within the first 20 minutes sitting it. About a week later I sat the same stand & took an 8 pointer after abou 45 minut
es.
Most of my other stands range in height from 8 -15 feet depending on cover & location.
If it's ain't fun ....don't do it !!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I find the height for your stand really depends on a lot of variables. Lay of the land, pressure on the deer from hunters (especially tree stand hunters), and the hunter's age.

HUH? Hunter's age? Is this guy nuts?

Yep, AGE! Old hunters don't bounce well :lol: :lol: :lol:
15 feet is my ladder stand height, and I've had great success from it. I keep it where I have plenty of trees and brush behind me (prefer cedars around me) to break up my outline. I see no need to go higher where I hunt. If I was in a heavily pressures area with not much cover I might go to 25' with a climber, but a good ground blind might be a better option for those areas!
My ability to "bounce back" from injuries has declined over the years :lol:
wabi