Couple of Vixen questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Beaver

Couple of Vixen questions

Post by Beaver »

I just realized that when I ordered my Vixen I forgot to ordet the Excalibur string and deck wax. Does anyone know if it would be OK to use Tex-Tite string wax and Horton rail lube until I can get the Excalibur wax.

I am going to be shooting 175-200 shots per week. Is a bolt as light as 430 grains safe to shoot on a high volume basis without ovelry stressing the limbs?
PRB

Post by PRB »

No problem at all. I also have been using the Tex-Tite wax. I'm not sure if its any better than Excalibur's wax or not, but it does the job.
As far as bolt weight you are doing just fine as long as you dont go below the minimum weight of 325 grains.
Good luck
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Digger

Post by Digger »

I have been using tex-tite sting wax for the last 5 years on my Excaliburs and I like it better for appling than the round tub of Excal wax. I have used tex-tite on strings of my verts and on the strings of my crankeroo and acudraw.
I have Horton rail lube also but only use it sparingly once a year at the most when I was shootng 3 or 4 times a week. Use too much rail lube you'll get an ugly build of goo.
As Prb stated you can use as low as 325 gr bolts for your vixen and as short as 18" for the shaft and be safe..

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
BUCKSHOT

Credit Card

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Keep your credit card handy, to clean your rail! :wink:
Wax the heck out of your string and serving every 20-30 shots and the rail will take care of itself!
IMO Too much wax will create drag and effect your fps!
Not drastically but personally I have always used only the string wax, and from time to time, I still need to remove excess wax from the rail!
When I wax my string I rub the heck out of it with a piece if deer tan,
this allows you to create heat easily, and ensure the stirng and serving are thouroughly waxed!
Enjoy the Harvest!
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

Thanks bstout I just asked my wife and she showed me some sewing wax. It looked very good. I also have some pure bees wax that I used to mix with alox to make lube for muzzleloader bullets and patches. I have some flemish string makers wax that works into strings very well and seems to be about the same as the sewing wax.

Someone, and I do not remember who, told me to be careful not to use any wax that had silicone as the silicone would damage the deck. I ruined a very expensive(for me) spring piston air rifle with silicone oil.
Dash

Re: Couple of Vixen questions

Post by Dash »

Silicon won't damage your deck, quite the opposite. We use it at work every day to "protect and lubricate" Metals, Plastics, Rubber, almost anything with no side effects. Only problem is when you need to paint a surface that has had silicon on it at some time its almost impossible.
If you have the gel silicon don't over apply it, just use less than the volume of one pea, rubbed into the deck with a cue tip. remove any excess with the other side of the cuetip. it works great.
A touch of CRC spray silicon works great on the bolts to help remove them from targets too.
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

Beaver,

Since there are many appropriate replies to your questions, I am sure that you will receive many replies.

My responses are:

(1) The arrows that Danny Miller made me for my Vixen have a total weight (with 100 gr. broadhead) of 415.9 grains. I have not had any problems shooting them with the standard Excalibur string and I am shooting at 261 pfs.

(2) I do not know of any reason why any string wax that one would normally use on a vertical bow string would not work on a crossbow string.

(3) Horton rail lube is thick grease. I do not wish to have grease on my rail catching and holding grit, sand, leaves and other stuff. My personal preference is TenPoint Microlon. Microlon is not grease and it works just as well on my Vixen rail as it does on my TenPoint rail.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'm glad someone finally answered those 5.5 year old questions. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
munch

Post by munch »

sumner4991 wrote:I'm glad someone finally answered those 5.5 year old questions. :lol:
summer i started reading this post and when i got to the digger post .i almost fell of my chair.
he has been gone a while now.always seemed to want to help.
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

munch wrote:
sumner4991 wrote:I'm glad someone finally answered those 5.5 year old questions. :lol:
summer i started reading this post and when i got to the digger post .i almost fell of my chair.
he has been gone a while now.always seemed to want to help.

That's what caught my eye too Munch . . .his user name should be in the Excalibur Hall of Fame and retired.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

An thats the truth by God!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315