Maintenance tips for crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

speedball

Post by speedball »

is there any penetrating oil that doesnt smell like wd-40, i would like to keep my 200 as scent free as possible using winki-dinki oil would make it smell to high heaven for every mature buck for miles would know i'm there :? :o :? speedball..........
gone huntin never to return................
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

maddog wrote:
DOXNUT wrote:NEVER EVER use WD-40 to lubricate your trigger mechanism. WD-40 is not classed as a true lub, is has much higher cleaning properties. It also contains products that can harden in cold temperatures..........
Very interesting........Ive been using it on my gun and Xbow triggers for years. Would like to know more about this product. The MSDS says it contains Aliphatic petroleum distillates, petrolium base oil and LVP hydrocarbon fluid. (No graphite)
Can anyone else offer information or personal experience with it?

Previous posts on this board seemed to recommend it on Xcalibur triggers to reduce creep. What gives?!

I've also been wanting to know whats in WD40, I pulled this up
http://yarchive.net/chem/wd40.html

Tar Heel
Last edited by Tar Heel on Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Interesting facts about the product WD-40...

The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and
de-greaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three
technicians at the San Diego Rocket
Chemical Company. It's name comes from the project
that was to find a "water displacement" compound. They
were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40.

The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their Atlas missile parts.
The workers were so pleased with the product, they began smuggling (also
known as "shrinkage" or "stealing") it out to use at home. The executives
decided there might be a consumer market for it and put it in aerosol cans.
The rest, as th! ey say, is history.

It is a carefully guarded recipe known only to four people. Only one of
them is the "brew master." There are about 2.5 million gall! ons of the stuff
manufactured each year. It gets it's distinctive smell from a fragrance
that is added to the brew. Ken East says there is nothing in WD-40 that
would hurt you.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Digger wrote:
I have used WD-40 for years in my trigger mechanism with no freezing goo build up. I use it in my car's door locks all winter to have easy openig, as my car is outside all winter.
I tried using WD-40 on my wife's car door hinges, after a short time the lubricant is gone. Since then I have switched to a product called Fluid Film. It works great! WD-40 is more a solvent than a lubricant.

Evan
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

ComfyBear wrote:The best care is preventative care. Check, on a regular basis, that all "nuts & bolts" are properly secured.

Check your string, and serving, wax it lightly when needed.

If you shoot in foul/wet weather, wipe and dry entire bow, then "slightly" lubricate all bolts heads with a Q-Tip sprayed with WD-40.

Even though all Excaliburs are "tough as nails", by not knocking it about, you will assure that it will not only keep it looking great, but also working great.
I do the same as ComfyBear...I also rub some talcom (baby powder) on the DP pads as well...also instead of WD-40, I use G96 complete gun treatment on all the bolts and trigger too..
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

Thanks! I really enjoyed "the facts" on WD-40. Has anyone tried REMOIL, or does anyone know any info on REMOIL? I use this product alot, on my pump shotguns when they are exposed to too much moisture or rain.
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D One more fact on WD-40 it is a penetrating oil! and many police dept's do not alow it's use on service weapons because it can penitrate the primer's and render them non-functional. make's sence to me. for lubrication nothing beat's a light coating of Gun oil
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

What kind of lubricant is best for semi autos in the extremely cold weather
of Canada, as regular oil will thicken and cause them to jam, I think it might also cause the trigger on a crossbow to pull harder in cold weather.
A oil that works in these conditions might be good on crossbows triggers.

Tar Heel
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

The old WD 40 debate! :lol: I've been using it exclusively on all my guns to clean and lubricate for over 20 years! No jams and no rust.

I never use oil. It collects debris and gums at very cold temps. The only oil I use is on my wooden gun stocks...that's it.

WD 40 on primers? Primers are waterproof. i.e. no liquid gets in. Sounds like an old cop's wife tale to me. :wink: :lol: Besides, who cleans their gun's loaded? :?
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
claude

Post by claude »

reloaders spray wd-40 "inside" brass to deaden primers to deprime
unfired brass
epd1102

Re: Maintenance tips for crossbows

Post by epd1102 »

I was a police armorer for years and there was one rule that every armorer's class mentioned. NEVER use WD-40 on your firearms. WD stands for Water Displacing and it leaves a lacquer-type residue behind that can only be cleaned off by.....more WD-40 :-)
This rule was shared by Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, Glock, Remington, Rock River, and Sig-Sauer.
If you insist on using it, good luck. It does work for a while as I used it a lot as a kid. Now, I only use lubricants made for firearms as I consider my Excalibur to be similar to a firearms in many respects.
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

WD-40.......I’ve been working at an oil refinery for the past 22.5 years. We use every kind of penetrating oil, lubricating oil, rust protection products you could even imagine.
These next statements are personal observations and have nothing to do with the place where I work other than we use some of the products I mention. I compare WD-40 to Varsol with added lubricant, added rust inhibitors and perfume.
We use lots of it. Personally I have it at home. I find it to be a poor penetrating product while comparing it to many other products. The best penetrating product I have ever used is Kroil hands down. Kroil I would not consider to be a rust inhibitor.
As a rust inhibitor WD-40 in my experience is poor as it evaporates in a very short time. Fluid film is the best lubricating rust protectant I have used. Rust check original is an OK rust inhibitor that doesn’t evaporate but does dry eventually this is why you have to reapply every year to maintain warranty. I compare Rust check to Transformer oil (mineral) with perfume, colour, and likely some type of rust inhibitors added other the the obvious oil.
Again my statements above are just what my experiences have led me to surmise.
I use WD-40 every time I clean my shotguns I spray it inside the barrels, use a brass bore brush to loosen any lead or plastic residuals and then push wadded up paper towels. After the barrels are clean I then coat inside and out with a very fine layer of Rust check original. Wipe it on wipe it off and don’t put oil on a fine wooden stock PLEASE :eusa-naughty:

A great experiment for folks would be to put some WD-40 in a clean white container and let it evaporate over time to see if it leaves a sticky residue. Remember this product is petroleum based so put it in a well ventilated area and away from sources of ignition. The goal of this experiment is to find out if we leave WD-40 on our triggers for an extended time will it gum up, become tacky and/or interfere with the trigger mechanism in any way?

We could/should also consider looking at all products we put on our triggers do they or will they dry, become tacky over time, cause adverse effects to our triggers?

It seems to me most all these type of petroleum products will dry and become tacky overtime if left to do so. I feel a good maintenance regime of properly cleaning and reapplying fresh product of our choices sparingly will prevent any adverse effects.
When applying remember LESS IS MORE!

There must be a millwright or a machinist on this site. Let’s hear from them.

Wayne
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

epd1102 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:34 pm
I was a police armorer for years and there was one rule that every armorer's class mentioned. NEVER use WD-40 on your firearms. WD stands for Water Displacing and it leaves a lacquer-type residue behind that can only be cleaned off by.....more WD-40 :-)
This rule was shared by Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, Glock, Remington, Rock River, and Sig-Sauer.
If you insist on using it, good luck. It does work for a while as I used it a lot as a kid. Now, I only use lubricants made for firearms as I consider my Excalibur to be similar to a firearms in many respects.
:thumbup:
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

I have used remoil religiously for 40 years. It is fine stuff and the only thing I use on my guns and my Excalibur’s. I have seen WD 40 here in the south both draw moisture and be more corrosive than any other so called lubricant I’ve seen. Rem oil is the way to go bar none!
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I have found this stuff to be very very good
https://www.nano-oil.com/index.html

I use the 10wt and the grease.

There is a good review/read here. Look for the review by Ben Roberts. Did an experiment with this stuff at a Police Rifle course where they shot a bunch of rounds through a bunch of ARs.
https://www.nano-oil.com/HappyCustomers.html
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><