Maintenance tips for crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DOXNUT

Maintenance tips for crossbows

Post by DOXNUT »

Was just wondering if anyone would be willing to share a few secrets they use to help maintain their crossbows, or other crossbow equipment.
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

Here's one I used all the time, to reduce ill affects of carbon and aluminum friction. On all my carbon bolts I use parathan wax and create a small film, covering all exposed carbon. This is a preventative measure that also can help bolt removal..........I'm just doing whatever I can to maximize the life of my crossbows.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

The best care is preventative care. Check, on a regular basis, that all "nuts & bolts" are properly secured.

Check your string, and serving, wax it lightly when needed.

If you shoot in foul/wet weather, wipe and dry entire bow, then "slightly" lubricate all bolts heads with a Q-Tip sprayed with WD-40.

Even though all Excaliburs are "tough as nails", by not knocking it about, you will assure that it will not only keep it looking great, but also working great.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
BUCKSHOT

A thought for ya

Post by BUCKSHOT »

A couple of other things that you can do!
You can make sure that you don't get excess string wax on your rail, by scraping it with rigid plastic (credit card). And you can also make sure that all of your heads are tight after shooting and that the inserts on the fletched end are clean.
I have shot and put a dent or burr on the end of an insert of an arrow after the second arrow glanced it! Just file it off! You don't want a burr running against your string.
Another maintenance type thing that I only had to do once on my bow, was to rub the hooks on the trigger vigorously with really fine emery, as the hooks were damaging my serving! The problem went away.
Another good arrow lube, is ivory soap, cheap and portable!
Also if you don't loctite the hold down bars on your db pads, you can check the spacing from the riser to the bottom side with verniers, to make sure the spacing is even within a few thousandths, in all four spots!
Remember not to over tighten these, as you will bend the bar, just make sure the rubber gasket under the bar is compressed just rite! :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

NEVER EVER use WD-40 to lubricate your trigger mechanism. WD-40 is not classed as a true lub, is has much higher cleaning properties. It also contains products that can harden in cold temperatures..........
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong but I thougnt WD40 was a mixture of alcohol and graphite, when the alcohol dries the graphite stays on, I use on my trigger.

Tar Heel
Digger

Post by Digger »

I have used WD-40 for years in my trigger mechanism with no freezing goo build up. I use it in my car's door locks all winter to have easy openig, as my car is outside all winter.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Digger wrote:I have used WD-40 for years in my trigger mechanism with no freezing goo build up. I use it in my car's door locks all winter to have easy openig, as my car is outside all winter.

Digger
So do I, I just forgot to mention it, and by the time I remembered, other members beat me to it. :wink:

WD-40 is also recommended for trigger use by Bill T.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Digger wrote:I have used WD-40 for years in my trigger mechanism with no freezing goo build up.
Ditto, since 1986!...
maddog

Post by maddog »

DOXNUT wrote:NEVER EVER use WD-40 to lubricate your trigger mechanism. WD-40 is not classed as a true lub, is has much higher cleaning properties. It also contains products that can harden in cold temperatures..........
Very interesting........Ive been using it on my gun and Xbow triggers for years. Would like to know more about this product. The MSDS says it contains Aliphatic petroleum distillates, petrolium base oil and LVP hydrocarbon fluid. (No graphite)
Can anyone else offer information or personal experience with it?

Previous posts on this board seemed to recommend it on Xcalibur triggers to reduce creep. What gives?!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

WD-40 is also considered a "penetrating oil", and used to loosen up and remove rusty bolts. It also dispels/evaporates water.

Although some people use it in place of "gun oil", it's not the best for this use, since it's considered a corrosive.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

I SHOOT HORTONS,,,MAINTENANCE FREE:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

JUSTANUFF wrote:I SHOOT HORTONS,,,MAINTENANCE FREE:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just like BIC lighters. :lol: :lol:
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

WOW! Never knew so many guys are using WD-40, maybe it should be used Sparingly. I had to clean a trigger mechanism this past winter do to WD-40, at least thats what the owner said he was using. Whatever the lubricate was, it left a candy like coating ever where. Which ended up seasing up the return spring for the trigger. Since it wouldn't return back to it's normal position, it would not lock the string on the next shoot.

From my the experience with low tolerances and moving parts, I recommend using a 100% natural based oil something more towards the line of sewing machine oils. I have never oiled any of my triggers.....haven't needed to yet!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

maddog wrote:
Previous posts on this board seemed to recommend it on Xcalibur triggers to reduce creep. What gives?!

It worked on mine...

It is slicker than snot on a doorknob now.. :wink:
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]