O/T 870 Scope Mount Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dave Snobelen

O/T 870 Scope Mount Question

Post by Dave Snobelen »

I've got an Reminton 870 Express with a fully rifled open sight deer barrel. My eyes getting as old as the rest of me and can't focus on the sights and the deer at the same time :( . I tried a saddle mount and red dot. The red dot's fine but the saddle mount sucks big time. One of our local gunsmiths recomend drilling and tapping the receiver for a scope mount base. This is a 3 1/2 inch magnum and I'm concerned about removing the red dot every time I want to shoot duck. Anybody have any other suggestions short of buying a cantaliever barrel???
Dave
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

What don't you like about the saddle mount and what make is the mount? I use a B-Square saddle mount on a Mossberg and it works great.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Dave,

Does your barrel have a rib? Then you can buy a cantilever that will mount on it. You then mount the scope on that. That way anytime you take the barrel off the scope will keep it's zero.

The barrel WILL float on an 870 and putting the scope on the receiver is futile. It doesn't matter if it is the B Square or drilled and tapped. One little bump on the barrel and you can lose your zero.

My turkey barrel is set up that way. My rifled barrel for deer hunting came with a cantilever on it.

Last I looked the cantilever sells for about $50 USD.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

I see Woody "beat me to it", I was typing while he was posting :D

The problem with mounting a scope on the receiver of any of the take down pumps like the 870, BPS, Ithaca....etc. is that there is always some "play" between the barrel and the receiver.

The barrels on these guns can move around a bit in relationship to the receiver. This is not a problem or noticeable when shooting a shot patern at a duck or trap target at 35 to 40 yards but it is an issue firing slugs when the scope is on the receiver, not the barrel.

Attaching a scope base to the receiver will cut down on the potential movement between a saddle mount and the receiver nut there still will be movement between the barrel and the receiver.

Ithaca has got around this on one of the latest "Deerslayers" by perminantly mounting the barrel to the receiver like a rifle. The 37 can get away with this because the bolt comes out the back of the receiver for dissassembly (with the butt stock off the gun).

http://www.ithacagun.com/product/firear ... erII.shtml

The description mentions this feature. However, this Ithaca model is very specialized and limited in what it can be used for.

I am afraid it I wanted to scope an 870 for slug for my own use, I would buy the cantalever deer barrel.

I base this on 35+ years of shotgun experience. I used Ithacas a lot from 1970 to about 1978. I have hunted with 870's since 1972 and the trap versions have been my "main" trap gun since 1976, even though I have more costly o/u's. I have been to the Remington Shooting School and the factory at Ilion NY and have discussed this issue there. These are a few of the things I base my comments on.
Last edited by 10Ring on Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10Ring
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Hi 10Ring..

I know you're an 870 man from way back.

You still shootng the 870 TB?

Dave,

OK.. B Square does make a Universal Cantilever rib mount. If your barrel has a rib this would be the way to go..

BSS16175 - B-Square Shotgun Mount, Universal Cantilever rib mount, up to 3/8" wide rib (for all ribbed shotguns), clamps to ventilated rib

$46.99

It is listed at ….

http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/shotgun2.htm
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

Woody Williams wrote:Hi 10Ring..

I know you're an 870 man from way back.

You still shootng the 870 TB?
Yes sir :!:

Bought new in 1976. A conservative estimate of 75,000 shells have gone through it (not a lot for a trap gun, really but I have owned and shot other stuff too).

This one's my main trap gun still, though tomorrow I think I'll shoot my 1994 manufacture 870TC.

I have a 1980 870SA Skeet too, they quit making the Skeet model in 1982.

I have a few others that get used for upland game or sporting clays. Never have an "issue" with doubles targets with these pumps, I am just old enough to have started shooting early enough before folks "found out" you "can't" shoot doubles on skeet or sporting with a pump :wink: .

I am well aware of the more costly makes/models and can afford them but I just enjoy my 870's. Kinda like Vic Reinders and his Remington M31; but I'm not as good or will ever be as good at trap as he was :oops: :wink:

A short note on Vic Reinders;

http://www.sportsinwisconsin.com/wahf/i ... 1#reinders

Vic shot the Remington 31 pump, the gun the 870 replaced;

http://www.remington.com/aboutus/history/m31.htm
10Ring
Dave Snobelen

Post by Dave Snobelen »

Woody and 10 Ring
Thanks for the input. I don't have a vent rib so I'll see if I can trade my barrel in on a cantaliever mount barrel. I'm just picking brains for other ideas before I spend money I don't have to. I've learned to ask first 'cause there's a lot of experience out there.
Dave