O.T. - gun storage

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

schnarrfuss

O.T. - gun storage

Post by schnarrfuss »

I was wondering if someone can help me out here. Is it mandatory here in Ontario too store firearms in a gun safe. Is it legal too store gun's hidden in a closet, with a trigger lock and in a case??? Also stored seperately from the ammo.
Also, does anyone know how or where I can dispose of some old ammo I have kicking around??

Thanks in advance for your help.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Either a gun lock, locked case or locked cabinet or action removed(such as the bolt on a bolt action. Anything to render it inoperable. Also, ammunition must be locked away separately.

This is a Canadian law.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Big John

Gun storage

Post by Big John »

I keep all guns trigger locked, in cases, locked in gun room, and ammo stored separately in different locked area with locks on ammo cases. If this isn"t safe enough and legal there"s a problem. All old or damaged ammo should be taken to local Police department for proper disposal. I believe this is correct procedure.

Hope this helps!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
A.W

Post by A.W »

[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
POLE AXE

Post by POLE AXE »

I store one loaded and holstered on the bed post, within arms reach. Another stopper is a short double barreled 12 loaded with OO Buck, just a step or two away. There's more..... :wink:
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

POLE AXE wrote:I store one loaded and holstered on the bed post, within arms reach. Another stopper is a short double barreled 12 loaded with OO Buck, just a step or two away. There's more..... :wink:
:lol: :lol:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Spring

Post by Spring »

This safe storage nonesense is precisely that. I don't know of a single gun owner who is against gun control. I know of about the same number who support Bill C68.

That anyone should not suffer accidental injury or death as a result of the way we store our firearms is a no brainer. However, Bill C68 goes way further than that. It concerns itself with the possibility that someone might break into our homes, steal our firearms, then use them in commission of crimes.

Where the whole thing gets messed up is that should that occur, the gun owner is at fault, trigger locks or no and contains stiff penalties. The break and enter is irrelevant.

As a result, safe storage becomes subjective. The minumum standard includes those procedures outlined above. If, however, someone breaks into your house and finds locked firearms in your closet and steals them, be prepared to answer some questions particularly if the firearms stolen were not registered.

Firearms theft in Canada is not a huge problem yet we devote all kinds of time, effort and money toward it. Firearms smuggling, particularly handguns into urban centres such as Toronto is a far bigger problem. Bill C68 does nothing to address that. Go figure?

Cheers!