HEIGHT QUESTION

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BIG DUMMY

HEIGHT QUESTION

Post by BIG DUMMY » Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:19 pm

I'M BREATHLESSLY AWAITING MY NEW EXOCET WITH THE SCOPE PACKAGE.

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD PLEASE HELP ME WITH THE FOLLOWING QUESTION..... ?

IF I'M 15 FEET UP A TREE AND A DEER IS 15-20 YARDS OUT WHERE SHOULD I AIM ? LOW , STRAIGHT AT THE HEART, OR HIGH ?

USING MY COMPOUND BOW I WOULD AIM VERY LOW AT THE HEART AND WOULD HIT ABOUT 6-8" UP. HOW DOES THE EXOCET WITH A SCOPE REACT IN THIS SITUATION ?

I KNOW I'LL HAVE TO SEE FOR MYSELF WHEN I SIGHT IN AND PRACTICE, BUT JUST WANTED TO HEAR WHAT THE EXPERTS HAVE TO SAY.

IN ADVANCE---------- THANKS

ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear » Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:39 pm

Physics and Math theorums both indicate that when one is either shooting uphill or downhill, the point of impact will be a "tad" higher than when one is shooting on a relatively horizontal plane. So you're correct in aiming "lower"
    ComfyBear
    Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
    ComfyBear Custom Strings
    G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

He is served best, he who serves himself.
    Cavendi sunt qui dona ferens.

Red Label

Post by Red Label » Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:35 pm

Aim where you would if you were shooting the horizontal distance to the target, ie. if the deer is 20 yards FROM THE BASE OF THE TREE use your 20 yard pin.

Mike

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams » Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:39 pm

Red Label wrote:Aim where you would if you were shooting the horizontal distance to the target, ie. if the deer is 20 yards FROM THE BASE OF THE TREE use your 20 yard pin.
    ..... and if he is 15 yards aim a little lower. If he is 10 yards aim a little more lower. You get the picture. Aim at for what it is.
    Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:04 pm

IF your up a tree 15 feet aim as you would if you were on the ground. If the deer is 20 yards away from your tree, use your 20 yard target sight while up in the tree. The travelling distance of your arrow would be slightly greater than the 20 yards so it would equal out the distance.

Now if you were to measure the animal from up in the tree (range finder) aim slightly lower but not any more than an inch or two. There would not be enough to really worry about.
    Tom
    [img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]

wabi

Post by wabi » Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:50 pm

I have a 15' ladder stand and have used the rangefinder to check distances from the stand, and from the ground under the stand to objects. The difference is very little. A 20 yard reading from the stand would be about 19 from the ground. Not enough to worry about. In actual shooting, I find I usually hit about 1" high when using rangefinder readings, there again, not enough to worry about. Shot a deer monday at 17 yards using the crosshairs (20 yard zero), and she's in the freezer now. She never knew if the arrow was an inch high, or dead-on.
    wabi (too tired to log on)