how's the hunting?

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

how's the hunting?

Post by wabi » Wed Oct 16, 2002 10:29 pm

Here in southern Ohio the weather is finally cool and wet. The deer are still hard to see because of the foilage, but the bucks are doing some rubbing. I haven't seen any scrapes yet, but the turkeys are scratching so much they may be causing me to miss them. I was able to get a doe Monday, so there's meat in the freezer now, and I can look for a nice buck. Special areas primitive weapons season is next week (bucks only), and since I live about 20 miles from the Shawnee forrest area, I guess I'll look for a buck next week. Probably use a muzzleloader there because I like to drop them on the spot when there are a lot of hunters in the woods. Saves the confusion of some other person thinking it's their deer.
I think a good hard freeze is needed to really get the leaves off the trees, and put the bugs into hiding before hunting will be really good.

Sam In Northern Ont

Post by Sam In Northern Ont » Wed Oct 16, 2002 11:00 pm

Hey Wabi our weather here in northern ont has been real crazy too. the moose rut is still on most years its done by now. We had a nice cold night perfect moose weather did some calling this morning low and behold bull winkle came to visit me he is now on the pole in the back yard. As i was walking out from the kill sight i heard crunching looked over my shoulder heres a 50'' plus bull moose watching me he must had been coming in be hind the other bull. He was one lucky bull i hope he realizes that. Ha Ha. Thought i would share that story with ya all . Sam

OneShot

Congrats Wabi

Post by OneShot » Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:51 am

Great going on the bull !

Send one down to me , in the big brown truck if need be ! :D

OneShot...........

wabi

Post by wabi » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:14 am

Sam,
Congratulations!
Sounds like you will enjoy some good eating this winter.
wabi

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:18 am

How's the hunting?

One word - slooooooooowwwwwwwww!

Very few acorns, crops in the fileds. 3/4 moon, etc, etc. WAHHH!

But it is still very early. Prime time rut around here doesn't happen till about the first week in November.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:47 am

Wabi : It's been slow in the big buck dept. , but lots of does and twin fawns...I guess thats why they issued 2nd tags in some areas.

I've been moving around lots , careful not to put too much pressure on a certain spot . I have seen 2 nice bucks now but both have been well into the bush and although it has still been legal shooting time , it's too dark in the bush !

Last night I set up with my climber , as deep in as I dare go for fear of putting them off their beds ... the wind was perfect blowing strong from the bedding area.

I did some quick shooting lane trimming and started up the tree ... as I went up , trimming branches on the way I would make an occational light grunt to cover for the odd branch that hit the ground a little hard .... I wasn't even up all the way and hadn't even switched my seat around when I was startled by 2 fawns that came straight in under the tree . They wasted no time in licking the tops of the stumps of the small saplings I had trimmed ... the doe was close behind ... a very large mature doe ( of course they always look larger then the one you took earlier ) they hung around for approx 1/2 hr. They were all around at one point or another in that 1/2 span ... I was worried that when the doe got down wind of the stand that she would catch my scent and blow out , but I must have been high enough up because I would occationally launch a piece of milk weed fluff and watch it blow approx 10 feet over her head and into the bush.

So I was content to have 3 live decoys ....... unfortunatley that's all I saw ... they moved on and I had no further action ..... still cool to watch them though ... it gives you confidence in your set up !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:02 pm

Sam : Cool story .... man , a bull with a 50" spread ... that's got to get your heart going.........

Congrats on the one you got on the poll !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "

wabi

an update

Post by wabi » Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:16 pm

an update:
I did find a line of fresh scrapes today. Things are looking better!
wabi