New Exocet Owner

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

miwi

New Exocet Owner

Post by miwi » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:25 pm

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for the great posts I've been reading voraciously. I began hunting when I became a falconer last year, and the new friends I've made have turned me on to other hunting and shooting sports. Considering I was a vegetarian anti-hunter who hated guns just a few years ago, my profound enjoyment of hunting sports has been quite a shock to myself and family. Anyway, I decided to get a xbow a week or so ago when I realized that most of the land I've been given permission to hunt with my bird would allow deer hunting with a bow only. I didn't have the time to become proficient with a vert. bow this season and Michigan just began allowing xbows for non-disabled during firearm deer season, so...

Went to Cabela's Sunday and stood in line at the archery counter behind a guy with a Horton HunterXS needing a new bowstring. To my shock, they gave him the number to call Horton's and sent him away. Ouch. When I got home, I went surfing and found this forum, read carefully, and resolved to get a recurve. To my delight, Bill Bishop had just posted his Exocet w/supplies at a very reasonable price. I had almost resigned myself to the long drive to his place when he said he needed to go to London soon anyway and would meet me there. Oh Happy Me! We got together Tuesday night and I can't wait to get out into the woods. Based on some of the descriptions you guys have given for deer "honey holes," I stumbled into several of them while hawking last year. Being the bird's dog means you cover a lot of ground.

I hope to get the bow set up and sighted in next week. This weekend, I'm trying pheasant hunting with a special women's program. I've shot trap three times now and am only shooting 50 percent, so the pheasants are probably safe, but we'll have fun!

Thx Again!

10Ring

Post by 10Ring » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:35 pm

Congratulations on the Exocet, IMHO, you now have the finest hunting crossbow made. :D

If you did not get one, you may want to consider getting the excellent video;

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/accessories/video.html

Don't be too discouraged with the trapshooting. When I lived in London, Ont., I shot at the Crumlin Gun Club. It is a large club and they had some very good women shooters there. There is a lot to learn about trap, after 35 years, I'm still learning :oops:

You will find the Excalibur is an excellent value, my Vixen has seen 1,000's of shots at 3D and target shooting and it just keeps on working.

Good luck and good hunting/shooting.
10Ring

luckyned

Post by luckyned » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:44 pm

Well Shaazam! Welcome aboard.

So soory Michelle I read and re-read your post but I could comprehend anything past...."Considering I was a vegetarian anti-hunter who hated guns just a few years ago, my profound enjoyment of hunting sports has been quite a shock to myself and family."

Maybe all is not lost afterall.

"I'm not a killer..I just prefer to bond and get close with what I eat."

Don

Post by Don » Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:40 pm

Hey Michelle,

Welcome aboard, I am sure yo will love the bow, no finer a hunting to has been made. But I am a little prejudice cause I love my Exocet. And to make things even better you got a heck of a deal. Enjoy the forum you can learn a tonne from the people here. And if you don't see what you are looking for just ask. and the people here will fill your mind with all that you need to know.

Just a question about the falconry, do ya own your own bird, and if so post a pic if you can would love to see that self guided hunting tool.

If only Bill and Kathy could come up with homing bolts for the excalibur. Hmmmmm

Don :lol:

wabi

Post by wabi » Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:52 pm

Michelle,
The Excalibur is a great way to begin hunting. IMHO you can experience so much more of the true hunting experience with a primitive weapon than with a modern firearm. I'm in no way trying to condemn the use of modern weapons, but for me getting close enough to use a bow, or crossbow is the real thrill of the hunt. I was taken hunting as a youngster and as soon as I was able to shoot a firearm was allowed to hunt. I think my first kill was probably a grounghog at age 10 or 12. Soon all the emphasis was on the kill, not the hunt. I became bored with hunting (killing game), and almost gave it up in my 20's. Then I found the bow and arrow as a hunting weapon! I soon found I knew next to nothing about the game I persued, and was very inept at bagging more than an occasional squirrel or rabbit. But what a thrill it was to outsmart even a rabbit! I am older now, but the thrill of outwitting the game is still there. I have learned a little about how the game lives, and have learned that many times it is enough just to outsmart the prey. I now only kill what I can use to eat, but still spend many hours afield just hunting, not killing - hunting! I frequently "draw a bead" on a squirrel, rabbit, deer, etc. then lower the bow/crossbow knowing I could have killed and chose not to because I had no need of the meat. I do kill when I can use the meat, I killed a deer Monday and steaks are on the menu for tomorrow. Good, low fat, no chemical or preservatives added food!
I'm rambling now, so I'll shut up, but I hope you enjoy hunting, and I wish you success. Welcome!
wabi

GaryL

Post by GaryL » Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:47 am

:D welcome enjoy and be happy :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!

ComfyBear

A Big welcome Michelle

Post by ComfyBear » Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:24 am

First and foremost, let me welcome you to this board. You'll find that there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here, who are more than willing to help. We might be somewhat biased towards Excalibur products, but when one finds such a wonderful product, it’s hard not to be.

In regards to your comments:
Considering I was a vegetarian anti-hunter who hated guns just a few years ago, my profound enjoyment of hunting sports has been quite a shock to myself and family.
I suppose stranger things have happened. However, it is most refreshing and assuring that even "anti's" can be reformed. :D

Now if only our community could get more of them to "see the light", this world would be a better place. I understand that you're a teacher, and quite adept at enlightening your audience/students. Perhaps you could be our spokesperson. :wink:

Once again, welcome to this site, and I sure hope you'll enjoy your time here and will partake in all it has to offer.
Last edited by ComfyBear on Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Custom Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

He is served best, he who serves himself.
Cavendi sunt qui dona ferens.

Red Label

Post by Red Label » Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:25 am

Michelle,

Welcome!

My buddy came close to buying that bow but you beat him to the punch. I wish you all the success in the world, let us know if we can help.

Please tell us about falconry, it sounds amazing!

Mike

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:47 am

Michelle " Welome and congrats on your new purchase . I have always been interested in Falconry(hope I spelled that right). I use to raise and train GSP's and GWP's ... I have read several articles on hunting with birds of prey and bird dog's working together ... the articles make it sound easy .....A question for you ... from the stand point of someone that actually does it , is it a difficult and expensive hobbie to persue ? My daughter is also very keen on the idea.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:29 am

Welcome!!

You've made a fine choice in taking up hunting with a crossbow and an Excalibur at that. Of course you were already hunting with your bird.

ANY questions you may ask will surely be answered by someone in this fine group. Of course you might get some 'varied' opinions about some things but that's OK.

Let's hope that the DNR in Michigan will see the light SOON and allow non-handicapped individuals to hunt with crossbows in the time frame where they belong. The same time as the early archery season.

You are a very articulate person and crossbowers need people like you on our side.

Good luck with the crossbow and hunting.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]

A.W

Post by A.W » Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:03 pm

Wecome Michelle. You have made a great choice.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams » Fri Oct 18, 2002 2:07 pm

Michelle,

Since you are getting started on two different hunting tools at the same time you might be interested to know they are quite different.

The trap or shot gun is a 'point/aim' hunting tool and a crossbow is purely an 'aim' hunting tool. The only similarities is form of shooting. I've found over the years that keeping my head down on the stock and following thorugh are of the utmost importance in shooting of any type.

The trigger pull is quite diffreent in between the shotgun and the crossbow. In the shotgun you are slapping/pulling the trigger hard when you shoot. It is quite different when shooting the crossbow.

For shooting the crossbow it's the same as shooting a rifle. You should concenrate only on your aim and let your fingers squeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzeee the trigger slowly. If you do it right the bow going off should almost surprise you.

I've found that I can shoot MUCH better if I try to watch my arrow flight through the scope. In other words I hold my bow stationary until the arrow hits what I am aiming at. That's call 'follow through'. For good accuracy 'follow through' is necessary in just about any type of shooting that you can name.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]