test results in

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

test results in

Post by wabi » Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:27 pm

Finally had a chance to test the Vixen shooting 2216's, feather fletching, and wasp jak-hammers on a (appx 125 lbs live weight) doe this evening.
Shot distance - 16/17 yards
Penetration - about 4" into the ground after passing through the deer
Recovery - she travelled about 80 yards after the hit - good blood trail after 20 yards
The deer is hanging in a cooler at the processor's now, will be converted into tasty steaks, roasts, burger, and jerky tomorrow evening.
The Vixen performed flawlessly (as usual). The jak-hammer did it's job leaving a good exit wound. The deer did not offer an ideal angle, but the jak-hammer did a great job of cutting the vitals. The blood trail was very sparse for the first 20 yards, then small drops for another 20 yards, then a good steady stream of blood to where she died. A tatal of appx. 80 yards. Luckily I was able to get my truck to within about 30 yards of her, and made the job of dragging much easier.
Looking forward to some good eating!
Thanks for a great crossbow Bill T. :!:

Red Label

Post by Red Label » Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:30 pm

way to go Wabi! Nice shooting!

The does had a rough go of it today in Vermont, Ohio, and Ontario!

cheers, Mike

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams » Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:51 pm

Congrats, wabi!!

There was never a doubt in my mind you'd put one in the freezer pronto.

Good hunting/shooting and good eating!!
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]

Congrats!

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:14 pm

Nice one wabi! It's good to have fresh meat put away for the Winter. Gotta love it.

Congrats again, :)
Carl

wabi

Post by wabi » Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:12 am

Thanks for the congratulations.
I'm not sure what has been going on with deer movement, but they seem to have abandoned all patterns when season opened. I saw three does feeding in a grassy area along a busy highway yesterday at 11:00 AM, so I went to my stand earlier than usual. The doe I shot was about an hour early, and I didn't wait to look for more, but took the first opening to shoot. I was getting hungry for venison (and my wife was telling me not to come home without a deer).
I plan to purchase another tag today, and get back out amongst 'em soon. Special area bucks only primitive season comes in next week, and I have a new muzzleloader to break in. Think I'll go for one more with the Vixen this year, that sure was a great archery kill. Might even try a turkey, too.
wabi

A.W

Post by A.W » Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:26 am

Congrats Wabi. Well done!!
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams » Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:51 am

wabi,

The seoasn here is weird too. There weren't any acorns to speak of. The folks down in Georgia got them all. :wink:

Corn is still standing, lots of leaves still on the trees and that makes for minimum deer sightings.

I am finding a few scrapes and rubs though.

Again congratulations on your nice doe. Good things come to those who do their homewrok right.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]

ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear » Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:17 am

The ultimate test is on live game. Congrats on a successful test. :)
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Custom Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

He is served best, he who serves himself.
Cavendi sunt qui dona ferens.

Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga » Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:30 am

Congrats wabi............Good tracking job...... :) I did not get one this season, had a few come thru at about 35 to 40yds but did not feel comfy with the shot. Might try again during gun season if deer are not too spooked.

Yea we got the acorns....every where... deer only got to get up, eat, lay down again...come on "rut" :wink:

Leo

R.J.

Post by R.J. » Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:04 am

Congrats wabi ... been very warm and dry here ... just found a spot with lots of acorns and the beans are still on ! ... many farms we have been hunting took the beans off 3 days ago .

Its always nice to have one in the freezer ..... :D
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "