Draconian Fisheries Closures in BC

This area is for other topics not associated with crossbows or crossbow hunting.
paulaboutform

Re: Draconian Fisheries Closures in BC

Post by paulaboutform » Tue May 07, 2019 2:01 am

And people wonder why I'm so angry and combative....and I wonder why they aren't!!! :eusa-think: :eusa-snooty:

Paul

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Tue May 07, 2019 3:39 pm

paulaboutform wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:01 am
And people wonder why I'm so angry and combative....and I wonder why they aren't!!! :eusa-think: :eusa-snooty:
You are far from alone my Friend!

Just last night at a dinner party with friends.
When one asked why I came across so angry over the closures, I explained what this meant to both Area G and the recreational fleet. Explained how it came about in detail. Explained the fact that DFO holds 17 million US explicitly earmarked by it's US donors as to "alleviate economic hardship for the southern troll fleet in times when they are regulated off the water" yet DFO has stated there will be no consideration whatsoever to any form of compensation for their latest actions. Explained how the livelihoods of my colleagues and buddies up and down the coast are directly effected. Explained that these restrictions are simply POLITICAL Expediency, and will do nothing to address the declines of Fraser Chinook stocks. Then went on to explain that no less than SEVEN FN openings have occurred simultaneously to, and following these closures.

Could have heard a pin drop through it all.
Red faces, and finally the comment - We get why your pissed off now. We never knew.

Of course they didn't. Our message isn't getting out there enough.
Despite the many who are trying.

More letters to the Minister & Pierre's Idiot Child again today...

Selling toys to afford the roof now... :cry:
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Sat May 11, 2019 6:22 pm

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Sat May 11, 2019 9:52 pm

Today. Granville Island. NO legal source whatsoever...
Still up at the end of the business day...
And yeah, reported... For whatever "good" that will do... :evil:

Nog

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Thu May 16, 2019 5:10 pm

Now SEVENTEEN FN in-river openings the government has let since yanking everyone else off the water!! :shock:

This post is for any that suggest the FN's have a "right" to these endangered fish.
They do not.
Conservation trumps all (or is supposed to).

NO FN has the so-called right to fish any run into extinction.
And NO government has any call openly supporting them to do so.
What we are witnessing now is a complete travesty on both parts!

Any that wish to educate themselves as to just how low some of the numbers are, have a read:

http://www.frafs.ca/sites/default/files2/Day 1 2019 Fraser River Chinook Conservation Measures.pdf

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Mon May 27, 2019 4:14 pm

Funding denial comes on the heels of fishing closures

The letter is misleading in that every hatchery request was denied, Saunders said.

The denial of funding comes on the heels of other announcements by the federal government this spring that have severely limited salmon fishing in the region and have dealt lethal blows to several fishing charter businesses in the region.

“When the fishing closures were announced, I can tell you that I lost $250,000 in donations for the project. People were just at rock-bottom and it was hard to generate any enthusiasm for our project. I can’t imagine what this latest announcement is going to do,” Saunders said.

https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/federal-government-actions-hurt-sooke-hatchery-fundraising-efforts/

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:09 pm

Related Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iaUahXWmn4

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:49 pm

FORTY-ONE FN in-river Openings to date on the most threatened runs of Chinook the Fraser has since Wilkinson imposed the restrictions.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/abor-autoc/UpperFraser/UMFPrevOpenTimes-eng.htm

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CeremonialOpeningTimes_Previous.html

In addition to an ongoing full blown FN Troll Fishery (with no numbers cap) in Area G waters that the latter were forced off of due to "conservation concerns".

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=221391&ID=all

And on top of that, the letter the Minister sent around today no longer even attempts to disguise the re-allocation aspect:

“In addition, new restrictions in commercial and recreational fisheries are intended to support increased availability of not at risk Summer 41 Chinook for First Nations fisheries harvest opportunities during August and September.”

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?attachments/fraser-river-chinook-management-letter-june-2019-final-pdf.45727/

Rather obvious to anyone with eyes this is a complete travesty. :thumbdown:

Nog

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:52 pm

Victor says salmon was once so abundant, there would be three or four fish barbeques in the community every weekend throughout summer.

And they wonder where the fish went??

“I can tell you, our value on the fish is much more than any recreational or commercial fish they catch,” he said.

So the fish sold roadside out of the back of a truck is more valuable than troll or recreational caught? Really??

But if they catch one fish that’s Fraser-bound, that’s enough. You compromise the constitutional priority, in my mind.”

Locked down the entire South Coast damn near, while recognizing the majority of those fisheries had no impact.
Under threat that they would fish the stocks of concern into extinction should they not get their way.
And now whine for even more...

Victor says that to uphold constitutional priority, DFO shouldn’t allow any fisheries, catch-and-release or otherwise, until after Indigenous fisheries have theirs.

He also says that Canada should consider giving control of commercial fishing to Indigenous Peoples, who have fished the same populations for millennia

Bottom Line: We want it ALL, and we want it NOW! :evil:

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/06/05/features/he-lives-share-his-salmon-faces-tighter-regulations-and-waning-fish-stocks

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:06 pm

Unfortunately due to mechanical difficulties (damn front differential) I was unable to attend today's scheduled meeting with Conservative MP Calkins (Federal Standing Committee on Fisheries) & Staff.

However two of our Directors did make it there.They both suggested the discussions were very positive, and that Blaine was both attentive and supportive.They also noted that he still requires some additional education regarding fisheries matters in BC, but was quick to grasp what they laid out in that regard for him.

I believe we both have an ally in MP Calkins. I will be following up directly with him in the next couple of days as a consequence. Although it was disappointing MP Doherty could not make this trip, his schedule at this point simply precluded that. I will be following up with Doherty in the next few days as well.

Overall the impression was that there is genuine concern, and a willingness to work with both the recreational and commercial troll sector in moving forward. Hell of a different impression than Wilkinson and the lieberals have left us with.

On the related matter, the so-called Impact Study has been settled - frankly it does not exist. I will be following up on that issue as it is a rather serious offense of lying to a government committee by Department of Fisheries and Oceans Paul Gillis, Director General, Strategic Policy.

Cheers, Nog

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:23 pm

Matt, I'm glad we think alike and that we're on the same team!!! :thumbup:

Paul

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:42 pm

paulaboutform wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:23 pm
Matt, I'm glad we think alike and that we're on the same team!!! :thumbup:
Always will be Buddy!! :thumbup:

Bet there are a few lieberals that are smarting due to giving someone like me the time to address their failings... Publicly that is :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:20 pm

A little slow out of the gate, but finally a report of some nature:

https://rachelblaney.ndp.ca/chinook-public-fishery-report

Unfortunately the Minister and his government could not care any less. :evil:

Nog

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:42 pm

Minister Wilkinson was caught directly and publicly LYING today.
In a radio interview he insisted that there have been NO FN in-river gillnet openings for Chinook since he announced the related closures for everyone else.
In fact, DFO's own website notes no less than NINETY-FOUR such openings in that time frame, some up to a week long, and most targeting the most endangered runs of Chinook the Fraser has.

Nog

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:30 pm

Open Letter from the Sport Fishing Institute (SFI) to Wilkinson:

https://mailchi.mp/8c7db2691b7e/sfi-member-update-071019?e=d242420a33

Pretty much nails it from the recreational aspect.

Cheers,
Nog