Red squirrel problems

This area is for other topics not associated with crossbows or crossbow hunting.
Onetimeonly x-->

Red squirrel problems

Post by Onetimeonly x--> » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:28 pm

Got a problem with them at my northern property. Remove all that I see...other than lead any good proven remedies that will keep them out of my place?? Little bastages can do some damage!! All sugestions welcome Thanks..
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott

Deaf jeff

Re: Red squirrel problems

Post by Deaf jeff » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:10 am

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:Got a problem with them at my northern property. Remove all that I see...other than lead any good proven remedies that will keep them out of my place?? Little bastages can do some damage!! All sugestions welcome Thanks..

I feel your pain as I have been in constant war with them for many years. I used to rely on lead but once the leaves come out the little guys cannot be seen so the trees are a safe haven for them. I done a search for "squirrel trap"
and found what is a live trap about 7"x 7" that has a door at each end with a single trip plate that releases both doors at the same time,and cost about $21. I caught 8 in 7 days the first week that I had it. after one is caught I submerge the trapinwater and all is done in seconds. I use a 1/2 of cracker for bait with peanut butter on the UNDERSIDE so it sticks to the trip plate. was given this idea from another member here. doing it this way the squirrels cannot raid the trap without tripping it. I have also used sunflower seed scattered under the trap with equally good results. I bought the trap off amazon.com.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Jeff
matrix 355 w/ y25 stock
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/80gr brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife

BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:20 am

Matrix 310 works well, but I recently picked up an air rifle
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~TT~Tombstone Case.
36" All Weather Tactical Case. Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:

Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:02 pm

Jeff and BRon thanks..I'm on a lake and the pellet is my friend..don't want to upset the neighbors with anything larger. Those little guys can eat through a lot.. I've used screen, steal wool and even carpet tack strips trying anything where they get in..just nail some flashing last time up. The kids like to play when I'm not there, even had them sit close by on a limb and bitch at me like I'm in thier place!! Bad move :shock: 8) ..thanks gentlemen
Wabi Custom Calls
Godspeed!!
Scott

Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:44 pm

Hardware cloth in heavy gauge and 1/4 inch mesh.
Mice make a hole and let the rest in.

As far as traps go, the old fashioned rat trap works very well.
You just have to build an enclosure with a small hole. Head goes in and touches trap trigger and it's lights out before the varmint knows what happened.

The box has to be weighed down or bolted down so they can't get a free meal.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"

hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:02 pm

Here is how I successfully trapped squirrels as a boy. Buy a roll of thin flexible snare wire, make three snares spaced two inches apart in the middle on a 4 foot stick. Lean the stick against squirrel tree with the snares on top. Make sure the butt of the stick is jammed into ground The tree rat will run down or up the stick and hang himself. The extra two snares are for his buddies who will come to see what the racket is. I paid for my first .22 rifle using this method. :D
Hank
Edited to add; Google squirrel traps to see correct placement of snares.Make as many as you need. The best locations are where there are cone husks scattered around the base of a tree or if you can find their winter stash.
2010 Equinox The "Beast"
Big John's Zombies with helical blazers
S-5 string stoppers
150 gr. boltcutters, 145 gr. Saunders blunts
Dead zone scope
Vixen master string
DaGriz knife

Exomag6.5

Post by Exomag6.5 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:46 pm

Found this one completely by mistake. 23L plastic pail tucked against one of the trees they frequent...filled to within 6" of the top with water...and then a few handfuls of leaves, pine and spruce needles floated on top. They hop down onto what they think is solid ground and splash... "Red squirrel and chipmunk begone". Last summer it was good for 2 - 4 rats/week for the first 6 weeks or so and then it tapered off but so did the damage to our 113 yr old cottage.
WARNING; don't be bragging it up about how many reds you've taken out. They are classed as a fur bearing animal in Ontario and as such you are supposed to have a trappers licence to harvest them.
I took mine out with the firm belief that they were a nuisance animal and as such I was protecting my property. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I like the old things best....old friends, old knives, classic firearms, seasoned firewood, vintage wine and aged scotch.
Carved limb Exomag
Matrix 355
Too many knives. Favs-my Grandpa's Buck knife, my Dad's Schrade Sharpfinger and my DaGriz.

BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:11 am

That pail trap sounds pretty good for chipmonks and red squirrels, but I also have 4 gray squirrels in my back yard and would hate to see them fall in. :(
Huess I will stick with my air rifle :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~TT~Tombstone Case.
36" All Weather Tactical Case. Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:

awshucks

Post by awshucks » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:52 am

110 Conibear hung on a tree, staple, w/ small pieces of ear corn on it is a trip....Bend the trigger wires out a bit so theres room for it to trip. When the trap springs it swings them 3' off the tree, lol
"Eze 18:21"

Hot Pepper Dude

Post by Hot Pepper Dude » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:22 pm

My response is the same as Ont_Excal. Victor brand rat trap. Bait with peanut butter. Place inside a wood box built just enough to hold the trap and accounting for the swing of the bow. A hole in the end just big enough for the head to go in and attempt to take the bait. Whammo! The bow will usually close behind the ears. Crushes the windpipe and the Squirrel dies quickly.

Regards, H.P.D.

Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:51 pm

BrotherRon wrote:That pail trap sounds pretty good for chipmonks and red squirrels, but I also have 4 gray squirrels in my back yard and would hate to see them fall in. :(
Huess I will stick with my air rifle :)

"selective harvest" with using the live trap :D
IN GOD WE TRUST

Jeff
matrix 355 w/ y25 stock
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/80gr brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife

Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:27 pm

Thanks all, wish I had no problem..seems like the troops are umpteen deep :shock: clones at its finest!!! Thanks again keep em coming!!
Wabi Custom Calls
Godspeed!!
Scott

agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:59 pm

Red squirrel story; Back in the day I came home and quickly ran around the house getting my stuff together and out and into a stand for deerhunting. I walked into my shop and was slipping on my boots when a red squirrel jumped on top of a step ladder that was leaned up against the far wall. I was in hunting mode and without skipping a beat I went and got my 410 gauge single shot with no.6 shot, walked back in and the squirrel still was there. Blew him part way back through the wall of the shop. let me tell you that shooting a shotgun in a room is fricking loud. One dead squirrel and off hunting I went. Done deal! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh, to be young and foolish and now just foolisk. :lol: