Evidence does not support call for gun bans in Canada

This area is for other topics not associated with crossbows or crossbow hunting.
IronNoggin

Evidence does not support call for gun bans in Canada

Post by IronNoggin » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:24 pm

Opinion: The evidence simply doesn't support calls for gun bans in Canada

According to gun control advocates’ logic, Australia’s buyback should have been followed by a sudden drop in firearm homicides and suicides. After all, access to legal guns ought to have been greatly diminished

John R. Lott, Jr. and Gary Mauser

It seems obvious: ban guns and there won’t be any gun crime.

After two people were killed and 13 injured in a July shooting in Toronto’s Greektown neighbourhood, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau ordered his government to assess the idea of “a full ban on handguns and assault weapons in Canada.” They are scheduled to finish the assignment by the end of the year.

Here is a simple question for Canada to answer: has a single place, anywhere in the world, ever seen its murder rate decline after banning all handguns or all guns?

We can’t find such a place. Every single time that guns have been banned, murder rates have gone up — often several-fold.

Handgun homicides continued to rise after Canada’s 1995 ban on more than half of all legally registered handguns. Americans tried to completely ban handguns in Chicago and Washington D.C., and saw murder and violent crime soar. Gun control advocates argued that these aren’t fair test cases because criminals could bring in guns purchased outside of city limits. But that argument can’t account for why rates of violence exploded in both places.

Murder rates have increased even when all guns or all handguns are banned in entire countries, even entire island nations. Murder rates more than tripled after Ireland’s 1972 ban. In Jamaica, they went up six-fold after a 1975 ban.

The reason is simple. When guns are banned, it is law-abiding citizens rather than criminals who turn in their firearms. And criminals can continue buying arms from drug gangs. If governments can’t enforce drug bans, there’s no reason to think that they can enforce gun bans.

Australia is a favourite example of gun control advocates, but guns weren’t banned there. The country’s buyback program caused more than 700,000 firearms to be handed in and destroyed, reducing the number of legally owned guns from 3.2 to 2.5 million between 1996 and 1997. But since then, the increase in privately-owned guns has outpaced population growth by a factor of three. The number now stands at 5.8 million.

According to gun control advocates’ logic, Australia’s buyback should have been followed by a sudden drop in firearm homicides and suicides. After all, access to legal guns ought to have been greatly diminished. Gun control advocates would then have predicted a slow increase in firearm deaths as the ownership rate increased again. No such thing occurred. Firearm homicides and suicides were falling for 15 years prior to the buyback, and fell more slowly after the buyback. So there is no evidence that the buyback actually caused the fall, but it may look that way in the absence of historical context. Armed robbery rates rose after the buyback, and then slowly fell back down to pre-buyback levels as gun ownership increased. This is the exact opposite of what gun control advocates predicted.

The evidence for gun control is no more hopeful when it comes to preventing mass public shootings.

The United States Federal Bureau of Investigation defines a mass public shooting as an incident in which four or more people are shot to death in a public place, excluding gang fights and guerilla warfare. The murders also cannot have occurred in the commission of another crime such as robbery.

Compared to the average country, Canada has been pretty safe from these attacks. Canada has just half a percent of the world population, but it has had an even much smaller share of the world’s mass public shooting deaths. From 1998 to 2012, it had just 0.03 per cent of such fatalities. The same numbers for the U.S. were 4.6 per cent of the population and 1.1 per cent of the mass shootings, so it is also much safer than the average country.

Whether we look at all countries or only at developed ones, we find that nations where gun ownership is more common tend to have lower homicide rates and lower rates of death from mass public shootings. That’s because armed citizens are able to defend themselves and stop attacks in crowded, public places. Every single mass public shooting on record in Canada has occurred in areas with gun prohibitions. In the United States, that’s true of 98 per cent of attacks. It’s no wonder, since many mass killers intentionally pick targets where people can’t defend themselves.

Police are important in the fight against crime, but they almost always arrive after the crime has occurred. Depriving law-abiding citizens of firearms leaves us all more vulnerable to attacks.

National Post

John R. Lott is the president of the Crime Prevention Research Center and the author most recently of “The War on Guns.” Gary Mauser is professor emeritus at Simon Fraser University.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/opinion-the-evidence-simply-doesnt-support-calls-for-gun-bans-in-canada
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Patcon

Re: Evidence does not support call for gun bans in Canada

Post by Patcon » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:19 pm

Well said but don't confuse them with facts!!!
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly

SALTYDOG

Post by SALTYDOG » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:45 pm

It’s funny that these Politicians who have armed body guards,want to ban firearms from law abiding citizens..here in the US they are starting this Red Flag law..all it takes is a Ex-girlfriend/wife...anyone that doesn’t like you having firearms to file a red flag order and the Police will come to your house and you have to surrender all of your firearms..Twenty years ago you never had this kind of stuff.. :(

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:06 pm

Blair was supposed to be "consulting" Canadians on the matter of these potential bans Canada wide, and taking into consideration comments from all who chose to do so. He has done anything BUT. Instead he has openly encouraged "Public Consultation by Written Invitation" ONLY. One guess who is on the "attend list". Even going so far as to reduce the so-called consultations in Alberta to a completely worthless exercise:

https://firearmrights.ca/en/minister-blair-scales-down-calgary-consulations-no-public/

Even before a good handful of these pseudo consultation meetings has occurred, Blair announces that he has collected all the information needed to formulate his opinion, and therefore recommendations to the government. Not too difficult to ascertain that he likely had his mind made up well before any such "consultations" ever occurred:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/blair-guns-ban-legislation-1.4983849

Funny, myself nor the several hundred other gun owners I know were never asked for their opinion. Guess we didn't mesh with their Agenda... :evil:

Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:34 pm

The buzz on Parliament Hill over the past couple of weeks (to the extent there has been any buzz other than the Liberals’ SNC-Lavalin scandal) has been that the federal government now believes an all-out handgun ban might be too expensive.

Since last summer’s tragic shooting in Toronto’s Danforth district, the Trudeau government has been searching for some dramatic gesture to symbolize how much they care.

One thing hasn’t changed, though. The Liberals’ justification for new gun controls is still the assertion that the main source of crime guns in Canada is legit owners – people who have licences and buy guns legally, but then “illegally divert” guns to the black market for thieves or drug runners.

Perhaps most troubling, there are more than 420,000 Canadians who are banned from owning guns, typically because of previous criminal convictions. But Goodale had to admit recently, the federal firearms computers “do not capture information concerning the illegal acquisition of firearms by prohibited persons.”

The Liberals are about to impose more restrictions on legit owners to win votes in Liberal cities and to claim they are taking action to reduce crime.

Yet they have no clue – none – how many convicted criminals possess guns or where they got them.

Talk about cynical, ineffective policy.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/gunter-the-liberals-cynical-ineffective-gun-policies-continue

Nog

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:05 pm

What is amazing to me is the lack of history knowledge the 'libtard' population has! These idiots will say, 'impossible, never in Canada, it'll never happen...etc' The fact is, the maneuvers of our liberal globalist government, are the exact same maneuvers played by the Nazi party. I'll tell you right now, the intention of all this is to disarm the legal, law abiding, tax paying CANADIANS!!! We all know the stats...it's irrelevant! The liberals don't care. They want to make us slaves in our own country. They have bought our mainstream media with the 1.5 billion dollars for 'trusted journalists' and I'm betting 90% of Canadians are oblivious to this or don't care! They're part of the globalists that have infiltrated our schools, universities, and media trying to convince people that multiculturalism is our strength and we need open borders. I'm stopping my rant here as this will probably see me getting arrested.....I'm so angry and upset at the miserable direction our society has gone and the traitors destroying our country!!!

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:20 pm

‘The Proposal Is a Ban on Private Ownership,’ Government MP Says

A public-relations firm that advises the government has said new restrictions on gun owners present an “untapped opportunity” for Trudeau to win re-election this year. A poll late last year showed almost all Liberal voters are hostile to gun owners in cities.

https://thegunblog.ca/2019/02/24/the-proposal-is-a-ban-on-private-ownership-government-mp-says/

Starting to get it yet??

Wondering...
Nog

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:16 pm

IronNoggin wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:20 pm
‘The Proposal Is a Ban on Private Ownership,’ Government MP Says

A public-relations firm that advises the government has said new restrictions on gun owners present an “untapped opportunity” for Trudeau to win re-election this year. A poll late last year showed almost all Liberal voters are hostile to gun owners in cities.

https://thegunblog.ca/2019/02/24/the-proposal-is-a-ban-on-private-ownership-government-mp-says/

Starting to get it yet??

Wondering...
Nog
Nog, I really believe Canadian gun owners are generally too reluctant to accept reality and truth. Rather, choosing to believe it'll never happen. I'd love to see some passion and outrage as yet another attack on our freedom is presented. This IS an attack on our very freedom!!! Get it??? We have a government that wants to regulate our very speech. Ignores what's happening throughout Europe and openly states that he (Justine) would be proud to see Canada be the first nation to surrender its autonomy....in the name of progressivism and tolerance. It's a big lie!!!

jd4223

Post by jd4223 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:30 pm

History has taught us that in order for a country to control its' populace,the populace has to be disarmed. Once disarmed,the dictator(s) in charge will then use food as a means to control the populace. If this fails,they will resort to using force against an unarmed populace. There are untold millions of people killed through out history and through out the world as a result of people being disarmed by their government(leaders). Never forget!

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:33 pm

paulaboutform wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:16 pm
Nog, I really believe Canadian gun owners are generally too reluctant to accept reality and truth. Rather, choosing to believe it'll never happen.
The stance of this government regarding firearms is extremely alarming.
But it is only one of a great many serious problems with they way they think and operate.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would support them in any way, shape or form. :wtf:
I will be doing my utmost to ensure they get removed this coming October!

Simply had enough!! :evil:
Matt

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:51 pm

IronNoggin wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:33 pm
paulaboutform wrote:
Nog, I really believe Canadian gun owners are generally too reluctant to accept reality and truth. Rather, choosing to believe it'll never happen.
But it is only one of a great many serious problems with they way they think and operate.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would support them in any way, shape or form. :wtf:

Matt
I couldn't agree more!

Paul

janesy

Post by janesy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:05 am

IronNoggin wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:33 pm
paulaboutform wrote:

Matt
Especially after last night bombshell!
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
MOBUC Micro BD345
Xtra Micro BD310 "Small-Fry"

Every little sound in the bush sounds like footsteps... Until you hear footsteps!

nchunter

Post by nchunter » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:38 pm

What bombshell? :eusa-popcorn:

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:40 pm

nchunter wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:38 pm
What bombshell? :eusa-popcorn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l7p8WuWucc

Explosive testimony from the now fired Attorney General regarding illicit and unethical pressure applied on her by Pierre's Idiot Child et al in support of dropping charges on a Big Buck Montreal Firm... And while the latter cry it "was for jobs", the real and recognized reason is IT WAS FOR VOTES. :evil:

How this Idiot has not been impeached is well beyond me...

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:45 pm

The Full Meal Digs for any who might be interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Vx6kmfutc&feature=youtu.be

Cheers,
Nog