Another Project Looms...

This area is for other topics not associated with crossbows or crossbow hunting.
IronNoggin

Another Project Looms...

Post by IronNoggin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:40 pm

Every now and then one wanders across an item they MUST collect, even though they were not looking! :lol:

Such is the case with this one. Stumbled into a stainless shell with Great Potential!

Must have been an old freezer or fridge of some kind, as the compressor etc are still in place.

My current smoker does an OK job of Cold Smoking, but I simply know this one - once modified - would do a hell of a lot better!

Tower smokers are usually just a little more efficient than wide models.

This would require stripping the compressor unit out of it, as well as some internal tweaks.

If I run a dimmer switch to the internal fan, and provide that with a chimney, it would REALLY suck the smoke up and through the tower.

Would also need a stand alone fire-box or smoke generator of some kind, and pipe the smoke across to the tower.

Thinking Cold Smoked Tuna, Halibut, Black Cod, Prawns, and Salmon here...

Hmmmmm...

Cheers - Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Carnivorous

Re: Another Project Looms...

Post by Carnivorous » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Looks great! Where's the snow? Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of harvest is at hand.

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:23 pm

Just what the hell is this "snow" thing you speak of?? :lol:

Wondering...
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

wheelie

Post by wheelie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:23 am

:shock: Nice backyard airgun pellet trap holder. Done shooting close the door and targets stay dry. :thumbup: :lol:

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:11 am

Awesome find buddy! :eusa-dance: I'd be looking at multiple shelves for racks, 3 thermometers in the front door, cutting out a bottom section of the door and putting it on a piano hinge to feed the fire pit in the bottom without having to open the main door and lose all the heat (Big Chief smoker styl). Also, a low shelf above your fire box to place a water pan to catch all the drippings and maintain moisture. Dang, brisket, ribs, pork butt, pork picnic, chicken wings, jalapeno poppers....and you can use a smoker tube with wood pellets for cold smoking all your fish treats. Not that I've ever given this much thought. :mrgreen: ....congrats on a great find Matt.

Paul

flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:38 am

paulaboutform wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:11 am
Awesome find buddy! :eusa-dance: I'd be looking at multiple shelves for racks, 3 thermometers in the front door, cutting out a bottom section of the door and putting it on a piano hinge to feed the fire pit in the bottom without having to open the main door and lose all the heat (Big Chief smoker styl). Also, a low shelf above your fire box to place a water pan to catch all the drippings and maintain moisture. Dang, brisket, ribs, pork butt, pork picnic, chicken wings, jalapeno poppers....and you can use a smoker tube with wood pellets for cold smoking all your fish treats. Not that I've ever given this much thought. :mrgreen: ....congrats on a great find Matt.

Paul
Nog, watch Paul spend your money!😁 great start!

Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:24 am

flightattendant100 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:38 am
paulaboutform wrote:

Paul
Don’t forget the bottle opener mounted on the side. :D
Billy

BD400
M380 Blackout Cerakote
Trinity Strings (nchunterkw)
Boo Strings

janesy

Post by janesy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:50 pm

Bcxbow wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:24 am
paulaboutform wrote:

Paul
Don’t forget the bottle opener mounted on the side. :D
Or the KEG TAP hahaha!
Micro-Hybrid-bulldog "PitBull370"
MOBUC Micro BD345
Xtra Micro BD310 "Small-Fry"

Every little sound in the bush sounds like footsteps... Until you hear footsteps!

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:53 pm

paulaboutform wrote:
... Not that I've ever given this much thought. :mrgreen: ....congrats on a great find Matt.
Many Thanks Buddy!!
This will be build number 6 thousand two hundred and fourteen for me. Or close to anyway! :lol:
You are close on some of my thoughts.
Too damn cold to even toy with the idea of working on it just now, so I have a little time to ponder these things...
And of course I will take your thoughts into consideration... :eusa-think:

One must remember my current Cadillac of Smokers when doing so though...

The current one is 400 lbs of stainless (thankfully on wheels!!), double doors, run by an Auberin PID controlling two electric burners, and multiple internal / product temperature probes. Fantastic set-up built on an old 1960's hospital food warmer:

It does pretty much everything I need it to, and does that well.
I will never get shed of this one, and always thought it was likely to be my "Final Build"...

But, as noted, this new one will make a better Cold Smoke Tower.
And it appears I simply cannot help myself :lol:

Could serve as both that & a regular smoker, but since I already have that in hand...

Stay tuned... I will post when I get around to the build itself...
A little bit of truth to that Sir!
You should hear us when we talk BOWS! :shock: :lol:

Cheers,
Nog

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:45 pm

Cold smoking has never spiked my interest so I'm far from being an authority on the subject. Wouldn't a smoker tube or smoker tray (the kind that looks like a labyrinth) work for cold smoking? You see you guys, I'm trying to actually SAVE my buddy's $$$. That would only require the vent and racks you'll be adding anyway and reduce your work load and cost. :eusa-think:
Now, on a more serious note, I've heard the trigger on that new 440 is amazing.....and can you imagine the flattened trajectory and power behind it!!! Hmmmmm :eusa-whistle: :eusa-whistle: :mrgreen:

Paul