M355 takes a nice 4x4 Bull Elk/ full hunt story included now

This area is for all pictures taken in previous and current hunting seasons.
TheBig1

Re: M355 takes a nice 4x4 Bull Elk/ full hunt story included

Post by TheBig1 »

That's a great story! Thank you for sharing. I'm sure it wasn't much fun during everything but what a great story and experience you and the boys have now. They'll never forget that and will tell their grandchildren that story. Congrats on the great hunt.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

paulaboutform wrote:Great story Gene. Those hard earned trophies are even more precious. CONGRATULATIONS! .....and thank you for taking the time to share.
***I thought you were going to say the voice leading you to your bull was Mick Dodge. :shock: :lol:

Paul
Agree with Paul, thanks for sharing the hunt with us! I like that you got a cold Top Shelf Beer too, SWEET! :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Waif

Post by Waif »

That was well told.
And a great adventure with frosting on it.
I'll bet you see him on his feet again for many moons sometimes when you close your eyes.
And each time when you look at his antlers.
Congrats.
Sure nice to read of the consideration of other hunters too.
Huzzah!
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Great story, thank you for sharing
Matrix 380 blackout
18" Zombies/92 gr. brass inserts
100 gr. Slick Trick Mag
18" Spinal Tapp's
170 gr F.O.C's
NChunter/BOO/ VixenMaster strings
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Guys and gals who may have enjoyed this, I realize there is no prize for the best hunting story and I'm not a very good writer but and that's a big butt at least on my part :D Please try and remember as you read all the miss-spelled words and bad grammer I have put down that I actually wrote this whole thing 5 times before I was actually able to get it to post... I hope in your eyes it was worth your wait to finally see it here in print.

Non-resident Elk hunting can be done out here in the range of $400 to $450 for elk or combo Mule deer or Blacktail deer and elk and even add in bear and cougar for slightly more...

I'm getting old as I stated but my memory is still young and if contacted by someone serious I'll make the offer here to point you in the best area I can think of for a do it yourself hunt.. You just need to let me know your serious and planning on coming out to hunt ahead of time....

I might add the king salmon are running good down there on the mouth of the Columbia during this same early season..... I'ts not hard at all to book a charter only requiring a 1 day license and freshwater salmon-steelhead tag... boats run about $150-$175 for an 8 hour trip and the tag and license run around $40 total for the day.

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
CrazyAce

Post by CrazyAce »

paulaboutform wrote:Great story Gene. Those hard earned trophies are even more precious. CONGRATULATIONS! .....and thank you for taking the time to share.
***I thought you were going to say the voice leading you to your bull was Mick Dodge. :shock: :lol:

Paul
Hahaha! That would have been hill air e us!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guys and gals who may have enjoyed this, I realize there is no prize for the best hunting story and I'm not a very good writer but and that's a big butt at least on my part :D Please try and remember as you read all the miss-spelled words and bad grammer I have put down that I actually wrote this whole thing 5 times before I was actually able to get it to post... I hope in your eyes it was worth your wait to finally see it here in print.

Elk hunting can be done out here in the range of $400 to $450 for elk or combo Mule deer or Blacktail deer and elk and even add in bear and cougar for slightly more...

I'm getting old as I stated but my memory is still young and if contacted by someone serious I'll make the offer here to point you in the best area I can think of for a do it yourself hunt.. You just need to let me know your serious and planning on coming out to hunt ahead of time....

I might add the king salmon are running good down there on the mouth of the Columbia during this same early season..... I'ts not hard at all to book a charter only requiring a 1 day license and freshwater salmon-steelhead tag... boats run about $150-$175 for an 8 hour trip and the tag and license run around $40 total for the day.

Gene
My son is in portland... Keep offers like that open and I will seriously have to make a trip to "see" him... or take him hunting.. either way..
-SnotRocket-
Matrix 405
DLX scope
TriggerTech 2.5#
DrStirrup rig
8ptbuk, vixenmaster, Boo Flemish String
Zombie Slayer, Executioner
Wabi Call
bubba

Post by bubba »

Great story, and a very good read. Thanks for sharing, been through that region of Washington state, and it's beautiful.You Earned every oz, of meat. all night to get back to camp. Just wondering how much meat did you get out? And how much you had to leave? I was fortunate once to have gotten a couple Elk steaks from a friend. And will never forget how delicious it was.. Again thanks for a great read..
Last edited by bubba on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
grouse

Post by grouse »

Great story and congratulations! Good memories are some of the best things in life and memories that combine joy and misery, but end with the joy, are the best and most vivid. I have never hunted elk but I want to. A friend once told me that elk hunting is more trouble than it is worth because "when you kill an elk it's like you killed a horse and now you have to carry it out". That would be a lot of meat to enjoy and share with people, and I would welcome the opportunity to experience the struggle and relish the success. Yes I'm jealous. Good job all around!
axiom
350 SE
Boo

Post by Boo »

Congratulations and thank you for sharing!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

A hunt I would love, and sounds like the kinda hunt that makes HUNTING<<< HUNTING!!!! this will be a memory forever, CONGRATS!!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Nicely done Gene. :D
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Buddyshort

Post by Buddyshort »

Great story and every word had my attention. Glad to see you gave the young hunter a hindquarter. Thats always a good way among hunters. Congratulations
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

The question was raised "I wonder how much meat was left out in the woods" ?

There are no hard feelings toward this question at all, I assure you.. It is a fair question as they are really big but if you have ever enjoyed a nice elk dinner ? You know it all comes home :wink:

I'd also like to assure you with all the time I had waiting for the boys I took every piece of meat I could get off the bone... I did have the bags the young guy had in his day pack and gracisously left with me... that included all I could get off of, and from between the ribs, as thats "burger scrap".

The wife, I, and our kids have eaten Elk for years and want to assure you, It does not go too waist at my house.. 8) :lol:

There was a time back about 25 years ago when I took a huge and barren lead cow from a herd of about 45 cows and calves... It was December and "the rut" was over and no bulls were running with the herds...

Being younger and less experienced, I took the biggest one from the herd. :roll: That cow turned out to be over 14 years old when the check point they used back in those days, checked her teeth for age approximation...

Let me relate that even the gravey was tough from that old girl.... As a result every year as I head out the door to camp I invaribly hear these parting from the wife of 36 years "Remember .. Bigger is not bettter.... find a young one"

True words of advise. :wink:

Gene :D
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
bubba

Post by bubba »

Yes Sir!! I hear ya... I two would do my best, and bring out as much as possible.Good jog sir. Don't leave nothing for the buzzards...I know there is gonna be plenty of smiles around your supper table for awhile...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
bubba

Post by bubba »

I think i need a new mouse....
Last edited by bubba on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.