Slick Tricks dull as butterknife

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunter

Slick Tricks dull as butterknife

Post by nchunter »

I got a couple of packs of Slick Tricks for Christmas, and I must say they are the dullest broadheads out-of-the-box that I've ever seen! The package says "Razor Sharp" on it, but I'd sure hate to try to shave with a razor like that!

A number of folks have raved about these heads on this website: do you find them to be this dull, and if so what device/method do you use to get them sharp? I tried a stone, some fine-grit sandpaper, and one of those little pocket sharpeners, but I couldn't improve them much - mainly because I had a hard time holding onto the little blades.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I use a Lansky sharpening system. The jig will hold these small blades.

Before you try to sharpen each one, I'd suggest Emailing the company and ask to have the pack exchanged for some properly sharpened ones. You likely just got a bad batch that slipped past quality control.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I agree, they should be alot sharper than what they are right out of the package. I always give mine a few swipes before putting them on any arrows/bolts. They sure make awesome entry/exit holes for such a small broadhead.... That said, I've since changed over to the Montec G-5's, and I give them a few swipes also before they go on any bolts/arrows. They fly just as good, and they do just as good a job as far as the entry/exit holes go. Not to mention the bloodtrails they produce.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
speedball

Post by speedball »

Hi-5, how well does that system work??, I am in the market for a Lansky,Gatco,Etc, and i want to sharpen all my slick trick blades is there a trick to using those jigs and do you use stone oil on the knife?? should i also buy the stand that goes with the Lansky JIg??? speedball......... :?
gone huntin never to return................
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

speedball

The system works well enough. I use it for knives as well. Some edges have unusual angles that are hard (for me, at least) to duplicate freehand. A jig gets around that problem. If you don't sharpen to the same angle as the blade is manufactured, you do a heck of a lot of sharpening--which changes the angle and wears down the blade AND your patience. I find Buck knives to be especially ignorant to sharpen without a jig.

You need to follow the manufacturer's directions as to what solution to use on the sharpener. It will vary, depending on whether it is a whetstone or diamond surfaced sharpener.

There is no "trick". You simply have to be consistent in where you place the clamp onto the blade from one blade to another, and make darned sure that you are using the correct sharpening angle.

I have a base for my system. I've had it for 10 years or so. I haven't used it yet. It might be handy depending on your technique, but you can buy it later if you think it would be a help.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.