Different Crossbow Stock Design

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunter

Different Crossbow Stock Design

Post by nchunter »

Here's a photo of a stock I made out of black walnut. It's not as cool-looking as some of the stocks posted on this site, but it has a few unique features that some may find interesting:
Image[/img]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

nchunter real nice looking stock, I like it fer sure and the unique features are great. Some good thinking there.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Nice job!!!!!!!! :wink:
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

:) Very Nice, did it quite'n your xbow and lessen the viberation ?
Also , it looks very durable to take thru the briars.
What about the weight difference?
diesel

Post by diesel »

VERY nice looking. That's a good question. I see a lot of different stocks people are making. How much weight is it adding to your bow ?
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Looks great. Wish I had the time and energy to start something like that.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

ecoaster wrote:Looks great. Wish I had the time and energy to start something like that.
I just wish I had the TALENT to do that.

Very nice stock..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

The wooden stock increases the total weight by about a pound. However, the balance is much better, the perceived weight is lighter because most of the added weight is back at the butt end. This acts as a counter-weight to the extreme front-heavy crossbow, and makes it easier to shoot.

I don't have a decibel meter, so I don't know how much it quiets the bow. My subjective opinion is that the wooden stock doesn't reduce the noise substantially so much as it takes the "sharpness" out of it. Instead of a "clank" it's more of a "thump", if that makes any sense.
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D :D VERY VERY NICE !! I like your added touches , which mfg. did you get the blank from, and how long did it take you . Great Job GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

I got the "blank" from a dead walnut tree in Kentucky on my cousin's farm. The branches had rotted off, but the trunk was still standing and the heartwood was fine.

It was a long-term project. I don't know how many hours, maybe forty? I was fortunate that to have a brother-in-law with a milling machine to carve out the inlet for the rail. Then I cut out the profile with a bandsaw, rough-carved the outside with a draw-knife, rough-sanded with a belt sander, and finish sanded by hand. Then five coats of tung oil.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Very Nice!... 8)
Ontario Trophy Bucks