Choice in broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Choice in broadheads

Post by Pydpiper »

All these missing deer threads got me thinking about how well the broadheads we use are working. Thanks to a member here I was giving a bunch of different broadheads to try, one particular one stuck out and I have been using it since.
I started my hunting journey with Slick Tricks, I still keep a couple in my quiver. For a fixed head I find they were a great flier, they seem to work perfect from both of my bows. But when I laid it out beside the mechanical I have been using it just looks so tiny.
The broadhead I am using now is the Rocket Hammerhead, a mechanical that leaves a devastating 2" hole in it's path. Add that to the fact that it has the exact same POI as a field point and involves no fussing around once it's on and it is a winner!
My brother in law came by yesterday to help me butcher a deer, when he seen the entry/exit hole he asked if I had used a shotgun, straight faced.
There will be no more tracking deer with this head, once you get to the impact sight you will be able to see your fallen deer.
They aren't the toughest broadhead around though, of my 3 kills I have damaged two of them. So then comes the question, would I rather have to throw away a damaged broadhead or have to walk away from a deer in the bush in hopes of finding it the next day, I would rather pitch a broadhead any day.
I never thought I would use a mechanical, just thought there had to be some sort of trade on the ease of use. I tried these heads on my crossbow, compound on small game and large, they work flawlessly and fly straight, again, same POI out to 50 yards as a field point.
The blood trail from my deer was a gruesome scene, blood was splashed in a continuous stream, no spatter, just a straight line of blood that was interrupted 2 times by trees, which looked like they were painted red. 15 Yards and it was on the ground. That broadhead made it through for another hunt too. I was tempted to take a picture of that impressive trail to show you guys and gals but it would not have made for a very nice photo.
I guess my point is why not use the largest cutting diameter you can get your hands on, tracking sucks, it is a nice feeling to track a deer and find it, but it is a far better feeling to shoot your deer and see it. Not much of a compromise in my opinion. I feel ill just thinking of leaving a deer in the bush for the night, I do understand there are situations where it has to happen, but you can really stack the odds in your favor.
There is no substitution for good shot placement, this broadhead anywhere in the vitals will make for a very short walk.
Here is a couple pictures to show the size difference in broadheads, there isn't much of a comparison. The left is the Rocket, on the right is a Slick trick, then some other assorted heads.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
mikej

Post by mikej »

great info i too like mechanicals
brokebow

Post by brokebow »

And the fly like fieldpoints?
Jerry
wabi

Post by wabi »

The mecanicals with big cutting diameter do have advantages. What I don't understand is why they make mechanicals with small cutting diameters. If you're going to shoot a mechanical they're all about the same size with the blades folded, so why shoot one with a cut af 1 1/2" or less when a 1 3/4" (and larger) cuttining diameter will probably shoot & work as well.
wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Great info Pyd! If you every want to post a pic, but think it might be too graphic why don't you post it as a link with a disclaimer preceding it? That way readers can make their own choice about whether to view it or not. (Although that would still allow "guests" to view them, wouldn't it?)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

brokebow wrote:And the fly like fieldpoints?
Identical, yes.
I can shoot an arrow at 50 yards with a field point then unscrew it, screw these things on and shoot again, same impact point. I have to say though, I am one of the guys that has the same luck with the Slick Tricks, so the accuracy didn't surprise me, it was the gaping hole it left that had impressed me and inspired this thread.
One advantage to the mechanicals (I can't believe I am happy with a mechanical..) is that it doesn't involve the same depth of testing as a fixed head, the lack of blades in flight mean less chance of a slight imperfection affect its flight. I do spin them first though.
I have many, many hours logged in on my testing with the Slicks and have had terrific results, wind, rain, light brush and anything else I could try I did.
I do not have much non hunting testing in to these Rockets yet, but there is no reason to think it will plane more with any variables than a fixed blade.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

enormous has asked that I post a photo of the head he uses, same company but with an astounding 2" X 2" cutting diameter with 4 blades opposed to the 3 that I am using. Norm says these are a limited run, too bad, I would really like to use some.

Rocket Hammerhead, 4 blade. Compliments of enormous.

WMU 91
Boo string
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I used the Hammerhead as soon as they came out 10 plus years ago . tested them out on a hog hunt . Dropped them in their tracks . Blood trails Stevie Wonder could follow . They do fly like field points that is for sure . I had a few gripes with them and the issues may now have been addressed . The blades did not come from the factory as sharp as I would like to see . Secondly blade changes were a PITA . The blade retaining screws would not come out or the slot / or threads would strip . I tend to be bit thrift so I want a head that can be reused repeatedly . These issues may now have been addressed . If they were they would be my 1st choice for whitetail.
mikej

Post by mikej »

wabi wrote:The mecanicals with big cutting diameter do have advantages. What I don't understand is why they make mechanicals with small cutting diameters. If you're going to shoot a mechanical they're all about the same size with the blades folded, so why shoot one with a cut af 1 1/2" or less when a 1 3/4" (and larger) cuttining diameter will probably shoot & work as well.
one point on shooting the smaller cut wabi is the baldes are thicker. they aren't as wide but have slightly more thickness thus making tem stronger and less prone to breaking while still having the head stay at the same weight
Normous

Post by Normous »

Pydpiper wrote:enormous has asked that I post a photo of the head he uses, same company but with an astounding 2" X 2" cutting diameter with 4 blades opposed to the 3 that I am using. Norm says these are a limited run, too bad, I would really like to use some.

Rocket Hammerhead, 4 blade. Compliments of enormous.

These 4 blade Rockets are bad azz on deer. I shot 5 or 6 in the past with my Excalibur and not one went more than 40-45 yards. Even my largest whitetail ever only went 30 yards with these. Unforunatly the 4 blade was a limited run. I think I still have 8 or so :). The 3 blade Pydpiper and Sumner use are just as good (almost) :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
mikej

Post by mikej »

mikej

Post by mikej »

2" is .027 " thickness

1 1/2" is .030 " thickness
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

I started using ground blinds last year for safety and comfort at my age and unfortunately cannot use these mechanicals to shoot through the mesh. I just started to open the mesh window half way this year to take videos and the deer did not seem to notice so maybe now.
mikew

Post by mikew »

Do you have to double-band the Hammerheads top keep them from opening early?
-Mike
Normous

Post by Normous »

Yes. I use fresh bands each season also.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family