Does anyone do their venison this way?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

B-Logger

Does anyone do their venison this way?

Post by B-Logger »

Reading the thread on cost for butchering got me wondering.

1. How many cut up their own deer?

2. Does anyone can their venison?

We have always cut up our own deer and years ago we started canning most of the venison. Sure, we do save out a few steaks, but canning really makes the meat tasty indeed. Even those who "hate wild meat" love it after being canned.

It is very easy to do. Just bone the meat, cut into little squares (I like about 3/4" x 3/4" size), stuff a jar full of the meat, add a teaspoon of salt per quart and then put into a pressure canner. Or you can use a hot water bath but pressure canning is much faster.

One nice part is if you have too much, it will keep for a long, long time. We usually don't have that problem because we eat a lot of it.

We have a daughter-in-law (sort of anti hunter type) who wouldn't eat venison. Now she practically begs us to save her some every year, so most years we shoot one for them and give it for Christmas. The whole family loves it.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
rickyp

Post by rickyp »

What I do is quarter it and put it in a cooler filled with ice for a few days or if the weather is cold and the temperature is stable I will let it hang for a few days the quarter it.

I save the back straps and then cube the rest of the deer I grind most of it into Burger or sausage then leave some cubes for deer stew.

I double wrap the meat in white freezer paper or use the mylar/plastic game freezer bags.
dutchhunter

canni

Post by dutchhunter »

when u put it in the jar and add the salt does anythig eles go in the jar like water or beer any juice . i supose u can add spices if u like .DUTCH
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

We only add the salt. You can doctor it up dozens of ways when you open the can.

The way I like it best is to put a big bunch of oleo in a pan, put in the venison and just warm it up almost to the point of browning it. Delicious, but that is only one way.

Another way: my wife likes to open a can and just make a sandwich. No need to cook the meat because it has been cooked during the canning.

Ricky, we also save the backstraps. That and the tenderloin is MINE!
Keep smiling!
Dennis
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

We also pack ours in pints now but use quarts when we give to our son.

We also used to pack lightly into the jars with a pinch of salt but now my wife packs it in. I mean she really stuffs it in there, making sure to get any air bubbles out. She says it does a better job that way but it all tastes good to me.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Grizzly Adam

Re: Does anyone do their venison this way?

Post by Grizzly Adam »

B-Logger wrote:
1. How many cut up their own deer?

2. Does anyone can their venison?
1. I do!

2. Yes!
Grizz
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

We did our own butchering last year for the first time - there definitely is a difference. We'll do it again in the future. We took some roasts, butterflied some chops, cut up some into stew meat, and ground some.... it's all good! :lol:

I'd love to get my hands on a good used pressure canner for veggies as well as meat.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Or, if you want a top-notch new canner:

http://www.allamericancanner.com/allame ... canner.htm

Really good stuff.

I've got a ancient seven quart canner that was my granny's, and a newer 14 quart model.

I don't have an All American, but I've seen them.

If I was in the market, that's what I'd get.
Grizz
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I butcher my own. De-bone everything. and grind up the poorer cuts. I have had canned deer and it is GREAT!!!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Hmmm I've never even heard of canned meat. My grandma used to can tomatoes, beans, squash and okra every summer but never any meat.
I'll have to check into it.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
maple

Post by maple »

Cook it for how long in the pressure canner?
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Just a note for those who have never canned meat: you MUST use a pressure canner (different than just a pressure cooker) to can meat and many low-acid vegetables. It's risky to process it any other way.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

maple wrote:Cook it for how long in the pressure canner?
According to Mirro's book:

Beef, Veal, Lamb, Pork (I assume venison to be the same as beef for this).

Pint jars: After the control jiggles, cook for 75 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.

Quarts: After the control jiggles, cook for 90 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.

They also say to precook the meat until medium done or until pieces when cut show almost no pink at center. Cut in pieces. Add salt. Pack. Fill with liquid to within 1" from top. Adjust lids. Process

We have never precooked the meat. It cooks during the canning process. We also never add any liquid to the cans. Just salt.

NOTE: WE ALSO ALWAYS REMOVE ALL FAT BEFORE CANNING. There still might be a little but that raises to the top so you can skim it off before fixing it however you want to eat it.

Hope this helps Maple.

VixChix: We also have used a cold packer (hot water bath) many times before we got the pressure canner and never had a problem except you have to cook it a lot longer.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
mikej

Post by mikej »

i can alot of my meat as well
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

That sounds like we need. If anyone knows where I can buy a used canner that's affordable, please let me know.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray