target point or broadhead weight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bbbwb

target point or broadhead weight

Post by bbbwb »

I am sure that I am not the first to have this situation to solve. So I present my question.
Where or how can one determine the weight of target points or broadheads. Since I have 2 Xbows and have been shooting 100 and 125 gr points and heads in the respective Xbows, I want to be sure that I have not mixed these tips.
I have checked with a pharmacist whose scales measure in grams. I think conversion is 1 grain = 60 mg. This is a workable conversion but I wondered if there any suggestions to solve my inquiry without the conversion process.

Thanks for your help.

bbbwb
wabi

Post by wabi »

Not super accurate, but good for something like you're doing -
http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=5960

BTW - 100 gr = 6.4799 gm 125 gr = 8.0999 gm
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

If you have one that you are sure is 125 gr, then place it on your arrow. Balance the arrow on something. Start taking the points in question and see if they balance at the same point. If they do, then they are 125 gr.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
rickyp

Post by rickyp »

do you have any friends that reload?
If you do have them put your points on the scale and you will know for sure.

I have a Pact BBK digital scale and it works great for reloading.

Now that I am building my own arrows I made a arrow holder and use the same scale to weigh my arrows do all my arrows are the same weight with in about 20 grs of each other. I also use it to weigh points when I get some in and do not know the weight. for about $100 it is a great investment.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Lee Valley sells a nice digital scale for $16, they are right by you.
I bought my digital scale that does grams, grains.. at a head shop in Woodstock (Lady Godivas), paid around $20 for it and it works great! It looks very similar to the one at Lee Valley. Lid pops off to serve as a bowl to keep the tip/head from rolling off.

Here it is, this one weighs in grains too, for less than $20 you can't go wrong.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.as ... 30&p=61130

Another tip.. Google is a very accurite means of conversion, if you type "100 grain to grams" in the google box it will do the calculation for you, or "7 grams to grains", or whatever you need to convert, try it, you'll see.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string