How do you deal with rust?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xhunter

How do you deal with rust?

Post by xhunter »

I don't know others, although my xbow is a little heavy after few hours. but I love my bow. It's accuracy makes me feel stunning.

Since I love my bow so much, I don't want anything that ruin it. last time I hunt in the rain. Maybe i didn't clean well enough. Today when I check.

Oh.... god...!

I saw rust in the four screws that holds the two limp together.

I think this might be an Achilles heel in the material use for the bow.

how do you people deal with it?
X - FOR XBOW
huntman

Post by huntman »

WD40
xhunter

Post by xhunter »

huntman wrote:WD40
What is that? How to use? Can you give me some help. Thanks
X - FOR XBOW
huntman

Post by huntman »

WD40 is a spray that you can buy at any canadian tire, walmart, heck i think some grocery stores may have it. It is a blue can that says WD40 right on it... anyways spray it on a cloth and wipe down the bolts, screws that have any rust! Thats pretty much it!
wabi

Post by wabi »

WD-40 is a lubricant with water displacing properties (hence the WD in the name). :lol:
WD-40 has it's lovers and it's haters, and I'm not going to get into any arguments, but I use it on any of my sporting goods with ferrous parts that will rust after any exposure to moisture. I spray it on, let it set for a minute or two, then blow it off with compressed air and then apply a coat of a high grade gun oil (using RemOil at the present, but it isn't the only one).
The WD-40 gets rid of any hidden moisture, but it isn't the best long term protection.
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

I use WD-40 also but I dip my bolt threads in hot wax and then install them.
They dont back out or rust
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
wabi

Post by wabi »

saxman wrote:I use WD-40 also but I dip my bolt threads in hot wax and then install them.
They dont back out or rust
Great idea Sax!!!!!!!!
I'll try that!
wabi
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I knw oh rust he aint such a bad gyu I cna deall with hin pretty awell. He drkni a littel to mch but hes not bda deude. Oh rusty is a good guy to me.
Mery hilodiays.
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
scratcherky

Post by scratcherky »

WD40 is good, but it is not a lubricant!
Man and man's best friend still looking at the green side of sod.
wabi

Post by wabi »

scratcherky wrote:WD40 is good, but it is not a lubricant!
Straight from the WD-40 web site:
THE FIVE BASIC FUNCTIONS:

LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold firmly to all moving parts.

CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape, stickers, and excess bonding material.

PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.

DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
wabi
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Hoss, your' a funny guy.
:lol: :lol:
Happy hunting.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I use remington gun spray with teflon after cleaning with WD40.
The best things in life are not things!!
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Be sure to shake that can real good before spraying.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
subneural

Post by subneural »

I'm a fan of CLP breakfree for cleaning, lubing and protecting the metal bits. I like the wax-dip idea, I'll have to give that a try too.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I think I look at rust a little differently then most. I think it comes from the way I grew up and from all the duck hunting I have done.

In the southwest you do not store equipment inside. Inside space is just too precious to use for equipment. So it sits out in the elements. And of course it starts to rust. You work the equipment hard. You maintain it mechanically but you worry little about how it looks.

At one time I did a lot of duck hunting. But duck hunting is really a young mans game, it is very labor intensive. But when I did, rust was a fact of life. I didn't baby my duck gun. It was equipment. I used it hard. And I did mechanical maintenance. But I cared little about how it looked. A certain amount of rust is great dull camo in the duck boat.

I have two crossbows, an old exocet and a phoenix. The old exocet is in great shape and I only will use it now if something would happen to my phoenix. The phoenix is in its second year and I consider it equipment. I use it hard. Some of my attachment bolts have rust. It matters not. If they get stuck and I have to take the crossbow apart I will get them to free up.

I just don't like adding the smell of a lubricant to the bow. I think sometimes hunters do all kinds of things to eliminate scent and then go and use lubricants on their weapons and it negates all the scent control they have utilized on clothes and body.