How many folks eat deer ribs?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

diesel

Post by diesel »

Like ecoaster said remove the meat from the bone mix in with the rest of the meat and run it through the grinder.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I love me a neck roast :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Rich

Post by Rich »

I had some ribs cooked up by a buddy who claimed they were the best ever.....tasted like straight up guts to me.

Rich
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

typically, our butcher debones and throws it in with the hamburger, but a friend of mine smokes them then wraps and freezes them. He gave me some to try, warm them up in the oven at 350F, elevated to let the grease drip and they were great, especially watching football with a couple of Coronas'

He only cut his in half, but this year I gave him some that I cut in 8" pieces for "riblets". I hope New England makes the playoffs, the riblets will come in handy!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I try cooking everything...once. Boiled them in water and vin. Then baked them on rack with moisture (pan inside of a roaster partially filled with water). Finish with a good sauce. OK but not worth the trouble IMO. Now just remove mt and grind for sausage.
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

no!

jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

NO
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
maple

Post by maple »

Same here.

I've cooked them. Boiled, baked, BBQ'd, heavily sauced. And quite frankly, never cared for them. Now they all just get converted into something more tasty. Usually sausage.

Being on the inside against the warm guts, any gut-shot or left-overnight deer will definitely have off-tasting ribs. This is where the blood settles and bacterial levels sky rocket. I don't even think about eating them if that's the case.....just chuck them out.

Maple
dutchhunter

neck

Post by dutchhunter »

I must say that the neck is one of the best roast you can get very good in a slow cooker the best part of the animal DUTCH
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Ribs, cut to size, trimmed of most of the gamey tallow, then frozen. To cook, wash well in cold water, then braised/browned (along with other pieces of stewing deer) in pot, add two jars of homemade tomato sauce, "11 secret spices", bring to boil, then slow simmer for a few hours.

RESULT: Best Spagetti sauce ever.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
rickyp

Post by rickyp »

I have tried the ribs and don't care for them. and they are a lot of work for not a lot of return and what you get isn't all that good table fare.

Now when I butcher my deer I take the back strap, the hams, the mouse meat, the neck if it is big enough. I generally do not take the front shoulders as there is not a lot left or all bloodshot after I shoot the deer, It it is not bloodshot I will take what I can.
rickyp

Post by rickyp »

I have tried the ribs and don't care for them. and they are a lot of work for not a lot of return and what you get isn't all that good table fare.

Now when I butcher my deer I take the back strap, the hams, the mouse meat, the neck if it is big enough. I generally do not take the front shoulders as there is not a lot left or all bloodshot after I shoot the deer, It it is not bloodshot I will take what I can.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

No ribs for me. I've finally reached the point where I don't even remove them from the spine. I debone the spine while it is hanging. The only bone that enters the house is in the legs and neck.

I haven't tried deboning the legs while its hanging. Hmmm.

DuckHunt
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

De bone for sausage.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.