Xbow noise source?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lucky strike

Xbow noise source?

Post by lucky strike »

I set up a short range in my basement where the sound is amplified enough to hear clearly the noise generated from the shot.From my phoenix I get a loud crak or wack sound an also a short ring as though from a tuning fork. I took off the dp's and string silencers so I could hear the raw bow.The sounds were the same but no worse.where is all this sound comming from ? I asked my girl to listen but you know how that goes!Does anyone have a definite answer?
Thanks LS
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The tuning fork sound is likely the steel bar that holds the arrow in place, it is crashing off the rail after the arrow leaves it. It can be adjusted/modified to stop.
The other sound is simply the string going from 0 to a few hundred miles per hour back to zero again, not much you can do about that.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Thats the deer killing sound that all fine Excals produce. makes the deer shake n p! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Rich

Post by Rich »

The only sound I hear is "smack" as my GT II slices through the deer's rib cage. The others have already covered the mechanical noises.

Rich
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

You can do all sorts of messin' to reduce sound and NONE if it will decrease sound to the point that the deer won't hear the bow. Sound travels at 4 times the speed of an average arrow, so.... Everything I've done only ended in disappointment and mostly loss of bow speed. So I figured, get there faster and shoot only at relaxed deer. Works.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

If the tuning fork sound is annoying to you as it was to me, you might get some heat shrink tubing (electronics parts store, radio shack,etc) and shrink that over the hold down spring with a heavy duty hair drier. I also sprayed it with silicone, the slicker the better.
Boo

Post by Boo »

The arm that Pypiper mentioned is likely the source of the noise. When you do get some heat shrink get the double walled (also known as self sealing) type of tubing. It is heavier and will change the harmonics shearly by the weight change. Two other things you can do is to serve some cat whiskers about 3" onto the string about 3" from the limb tips. With the string that comes from the factory there isn't a ton more you can do other than fill the rail with foam and even then it isn't much of a reduction other than using an STS.
Make sure you do a nut and bolt check on all the fasteners.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boo

Post by Boo »

fuzzy wrote:Not a definite answer but too low a brace height will allow the string/serving to slap the step in the riser adding that "crack" to the already there noise Experiments with brace heights, arrow weights and string materials before "quieting down" your bow are time well spent
Yup, I forgot about that!
x-bowhunr

Post by x-bowhunr »

Lucky strike, the ringing sound may also be from the stirrup. When you flick it with your finger or another solid object its vibration makes such a ringing sound that would be even louder and longer from the shock of firing the x-bow. That's why I attached a set of limbsaver bolt-on, vertical bow stabilizer-end attachments to the stirrup on my Equinox. Now the stirrup doesn"t ring at all when struck. Also, this is one dampener location that won't reduce velocity. Just a possible answer to what you described.
Timothy
Normous

Post by Normous »

I added camo tape to the stirrup to cut down some front end resonance and it also cuts down contact noise brushing tree limbs against the stirrup in the bush.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

enormous wrote:I added camo tape to the stirrup to cut down some front end resonance and it also cuts down contact noise brushing tree limbs against the stirrup in the bush.
Norm, I'm surprised. As a Canadian I would have thought you'd use duct tape! LOL! It's on all of my bows to stop them from slipping when I lean the bow up on the shop floor.
Normous

Post by Normous »

:lol: They make Red- Green camo duct tape
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
lucky strike

noise

Post by lucky strike »

hey Guys,
Thanks for the interest in my post!-No the noise has never bothered me.While hunting I never paid any mind to the sound. Things happen too fast to be concerned. Although, I have gotten comments from my non-xbow Matthews shooting friends ie: "man that's loud". I was just curious to know where all the noise came from.
BUS314

agree

Post by BUS314 »

I tapped mine with an ink pen & it had a hammer on anvil sound

x-bowhunr wrote:Lucky strike, the ringing sound may also be from the stirrup. When you flick it with your finger or another solid object its vibration makes such a ringing sound that would be even louder and longer from the shock of firing the x-bow. That's why I attached a set of limbsaver bolt-on, vertical bow stabilizer-end attachments to the stirrup on my Equinox. Now the stirrup doesn"t ring at all when struck. Also, this is one dampener location that won't reduce velocity. Just a possible answer to what you described.