New Jersey Moves One Step Closer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Esox

New Jersey Moves One Step Closer

Post by Esox »

-GOOD NEWS-

The New Jersey Fish and Wildlife Council is proposing allowing crossbows during all archery seasons... A public meeting on 2009-0011 Game Codes Ammendents will be on April 21, 2009... If accepted the 2009 Hunting Season will be the first time crossbows will be allowed for all archers...

The NJDFW did it right. They put together a strog case in favor of crossbows as indicated by the summary below and now New Jersey is One step closer......

Attached is a summary of the 2009 Game Code Ammendents:

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
DIVISION OF FISH AND WILDLIFE
Fish and Game Council
2009-2012 Game Code
Proposed Amendments: N.J.A.C. 7:25-5
Authorized By: Fish and Game Council, Jeannette Vreeland, Acting Chair
Authority: N.J.S.A. 13:1B-29 et seq. and 23:1-1 et seq.

DEP Docket Number:
Calendar Reference: See summary below for explanation of exception to calendar
requirement.
DEP Docket No. 05-09-03/718
Proposal Number: PRN 2009-
A public hearing concerning these proposed amendments will be held on:

April 21, 2009 at 6:30 P.M.
New Jersey State Museum
205 West State Street
Trenton, NJ 08625

The agency proposal follows:

Summary
The proposed 2009-2012 Game Code, N.J.A.C. 7:25-5, states when, under what circumstances, in what location, by what means, and what amounts and numbers, gamebirds, game animals and fur-bearing animals may be pursued, taken, killed or had in possession. As the Council has provided for a 60-day comment period on this notice of proposal, this notice is excepted from the rulemaking calendar requirement pursuant to
N.J.A.C. 1:30-3.3(a) 5.

The proposed amendments include the following:

15. N.J.A.C. 7:25-5.24 specifies authorized equipment and restrictions applicable to hunting using bow and arrow. The Council is proposing to expand the definition of “bow” by removing the prohibition on all draw locking and draw holding devices and by including crossbows and is proposing a definition of “crossbows” to specify the required size and components of an allowed crossbow. Crossbows legal for use in
New Jersey shall have a stock length of at least 25 inches, and a minimum draw pull weight of 75 pounds; also, crossbows shall be uncocked whenever in or upon a motor vehicle.

As a result of the proposed change, hunters of all ages would be allowed to use crossbows during any open bow season for deer hunting. The benefits of crossbow use include hunter recruitment and retention, and better deer management in suburban/rural interface areas. Anticipated increases in license and permit sales will provide additional funding to the Division for the continued management of game species and their habitat throughout the State. Crossbows may encourage youth, women and other persons who have difficulty drawing a regular bow to participate in the sport and to start family hunting traditions. Crossbows will also enable aging hunters with various physical limitations not defined as a handicap, to continue with or to come back to the sport. Crossbows can be a practical alternative in populated areas where firearm discharge has been restricted by local ordinance, which should help the Division achieve deer management objectives where access may be an issue. And while no additional fees will be charged to hunt with a crossbow, additional
revenue is anticipated through the increase in sales of archery licenses and Permit Bow season permits. A scientific survey, conducted by the Division and entitled “An Assessment of NJ Resident Hunter Opinion on Crossbows”, found that the majority of resident deer hunters are in favor of expansion of the crossbow in archery seasons. Specifically, 73% of resident deer hunters surveyed supported the expansion of crossbow use, and 67% of deer hunters who reported hunting only with bows supported the proposal. Currently, crossbows are legal only with a special bow permit for physically handicapped individuals. The Council is proposing to delete N.J.A.C. 7:25-5.24(e), which specifies who is eligible for Special Bow Use Permits for crossbows and attachments to longbow, recurved bow or compound bows and as a result of this deletion, allow their use by all hunters without a special bow permit.

Social Impact
Most proposed changes are minor and will have little positive or negative social impact. The proposal to expand the use of crossbows for deer hunting is likely to cause significant public interest among people who support and oppose the proposal based on input already received by the Division. Interested parties and organizations can be expected to express their positions during the public comment period and to elected and
government officials. The Council anticipates an overall positive social impact from the expanded use of crossbows. Crossbows will enable the Division to better manage deer in areas where deer populations may be problematic, such as in rural/suburban interface
areas, but where gun hunting is not desirable, as bow hunting is more inconspicuous and may be less objectionable. Reduced deer populations in these areas will result in fewer deer-vehicle collisions, reduced rates of Lyme Disease, and reduced property damage. Further, crossbows will help with hunter retention and recruitment to offset a decline in
hunting license sales
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Esox,

Thanks for spreading the word.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

congrats guy's, hoping for the same for NY!!!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Good luck guys!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Houndsman

Post by Houndsman »

I'm from N.J. and have heard for a while that this was coming.It better because I already have a new Vortex,Groundpounder Mount,Boo string,Bow case etc.The list goes on,once I bought the bow I had to have all the goodies to go with it.But seriously,alot of people here in N.J. have done their homework and presented the pro crossbow side of the argument in an intelligent, sensible,and fact filled manner.The game commission listened to both sides of the issue,did some research and surveys of their own and I really believe the legislators and commission are going to approve it.It's really somthing that is long over due and makes no sense not to be approved.We certainly have a large enough deer herd to support any added crossbow hunters.
saxman

Post by saxman »

New Jersey?
What exit? :shock:

Go NJ
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Houndsman

Post by Houndsman »

Okay start with the jokes now,I've heard them all.Mostly from people who never got off of the turnpike to take a look around.
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

bstout wrote:GO NEW JERSEY! :D :D :D
DITTO!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
Grizzly Adam

Re: New Jersey Moves One Step Closer

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Esox wrote: The New Jersey Fish and Wildlife Council is proposing allowing crossbows during all archery seasons ...

YAY!
8)
Grizz
mikej

Post by mikej »

good news
animal

Post by animal »

HI. EVERYONE I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM AND I AM FROM NEW JERSEY TOO . THIS IS FANTASTIC NEWS ESPECIALLY BECAUSE I PURCHASED A USED EXOCET 200 WHITH THE RIGHT STUFF PACKAGE AND ALSO CAME WITH THE CRANKAROO . SHOT MYBE TEN TIMES SAVED LOT OF MONEY THANK YOU RUSS FROM MISSOURI . HE IS 73 AND TRIED TO COME BACK TO THE SPORT HE LOVED BUT GAVE UP . GOD BLESS RUSS !
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Alright New Jersey, And I agree, that russ is the man!

By the way, Welcome to the forum animal. (sesamie street?)
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

The most exciting day I ever spent in New Joisey was the day I moved to Pennsylvania. :lol:
animal

Post by animal »

THEY HAVE DEER IN PHILY :lol:
Last edited by animal on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

THEY HAVE DEER IN PHILY?
Actually they do - but you are only able to get them with archery or the front end of your car. :lol:

Used to bow-hunt a lot in Southern NJ. Tons of deer and stocked pheasant too. Really enjoyed it. Gun laws were too restrictive for me though. I enjoy my 2nd. Amendment rights and occasional rifle hunting to ever live back there again. :x