Ever hear of or use Scent Smoker

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

agingcrossbower

Ever hear of or use Scent Smoker

Post by agingcrossbower »

I ran across this on a forum and was wonder if anyone has tried this. Its a container with wood chips that you burn, that is supposed to eliminate your scent. As a boy my Dad would burn cedar in a pale to keep warm and had good luck getting Deer. That cedar would snap a pop and would'nt seem to bother them. It reminded me of that method. Anyone run across this. The website is www.scentsmoker.com. 8)
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Try this:

www.scentsmoker.com

(the period at the end was invalidating the hyperlink)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
lscha

Re: Ever hear of or use Scent Smoker

Post by lscha »

agingcrossbower wrote:I ran across this on a forum and was wonder if anyone has tried this. Its a container with wood chips that you burn, that is supposed to eliminate your scent. As a boy my Dad would burn cedar in a pale to keep warm and had good luck getting Deer. That cedar would snap a pop and would'nt seem to bother them. It reminded me of that method. Anyone run across this. The website is www.scentsmoker.com. 8)
You and I are reading the same forum :lol: I was wondering the same thing.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
agingcrossbower

Thanks Vixchick! I'm new to posting. What do you think of the concept of smoking to kill or cover your scent?
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

agingcrossbower wrote:Thanks Vixchick! I'm new to posting. What do you think of the concept of smoking to kill or cover your scent?
I like the idea. When I used to hunt up north for a week at a time with no running water, we'd often end up smelling like smoke from standing around the fire. I'm sure the smell is much less foreign than some of the other marketed "cover scents" or attractants.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
agingcrossbower

I have visions of myself on my ladder stand with a pot between my legs slowly smoking my manhood or WORSE. :shock:
lscha

Post by lscha »

Please hang it on a removable tree step. We don't want anything happening to your manhood. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
agingcrossbower

You would think a person could like you say smoke up in camp, instead of taking to your site. That would be less risky. You KNOW.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

agingcrossbower wrote:smoke up
watch how you phrase that :P smoking up could mean something different. Maybe thats why some think 4pt bucks are 180 inch deer :P :D :D Must be good stuff :shock:

My sinuses dont like anything smoky :P so ill stick to scent away
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

There was a post awhile back about smoke, all winter deer smell wood smoke from stoves and fire places more than anything else, it's something they are use to.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I read that the smells that scare deer are those exuded by meat eaters. Apparently, meat eaters sweat, excrete, and breathe out small molecules that only meat eaters expell. That people who are strick vegetarians don't smell like that, and therefor don't scare deer. I also read where some indians would avoid meat for a few weeks prior to hunting, to avoid the need to cover their smell.

We all know dogs have a good sense of smell. Theirs works differently than ours. For example, if you were cooking a stew, and someone came inside, they would smell stew. But a dog would smell carrots, peas, meat, onions, etc. In other words, they break down smells into components and can detect individual smells. Whereas we combine them into an aroma. Which is why drug sniffing dogs cannot be fooled by masking drugs with other more smelly items. That only fools the criminals.

All smells come from the wafting of molecules into the air. These molecules can travel along with the wind currents. the smaller the molecule the farther they can travel. Dead animals, and humans, can be detected from a long distance, due to the presence of hydrogen sulfide. It links to receptors in your nasal passage, and your brain immediately recognizes these stimuli, and you think- somethings' dead. Exactly because you have smelt it before.

Things smell good, smell bad, or smell like ______. It is hard to describe something, but once smelt, the brain remembers. So....cover scents probably don't really work. To us they work, cause we smell stew, but I bet deer smell coffee, danish, Tide, gasoline, and meat eater- right over there.

There can be no real way to mask your odor completely, as you do breathe while on stand. Those molecules travel down wind, and....the rest is history. They do sell spray which may block the release of molecules from your clothing, etc. A cover mask over your face and nose, sprayed with that stuff, may work. But it may not.

Best bet, eat salad for three weeks and let the meateater molecules leave your body, or hunt downwind. Of course, you guys can call bs on this and that is probably just as well. Afterall, who knows what a deer smells when he spooks. Maybe eat some apples while on stand.

BTW- I shot my best buck right after having a cigarette, with the wind going his way. He never flinched a bit. He was too focused on the tarsal gland I had put in a bush. He was locked onto that bush. It was the rut, and he was spoiling for a fight. He lost.
wabi

Post by wabi »

but I bet deer smell coffee, danish, Tide, gasoline, and meat eater- right over there.
I'll switch brands of laundry detergent, but I'm pretty well stuck with those other scents! :lol: :lol:
BTW- I shot my best buck right after having a cigarette, with the wind going his way.
It's my opinion that the deer in our area (semi-rural / small farms & subdivisions are common) are accustomed to many scents such as tobacco smoke and it takes more than scent alone to spook most of the deer. (huge bucks are always an exception to the "rules" - they don't get huge by taking chances!) I smoke cigars, and I have never had any problem filling my tag(s). Yes - a wise old buck (or doe) may pick up the scent and never show itself, but most deer ignore it unless something else (sight or sound) goes with it to warn them of danger.
I think I had one button buck that actually enjoyed the scent of vanilla cigars a couple years ago. Seems like every time I lit one up he'd come bounding into the food plot! :lol:
wabi
DeepSouthHunter

I use one!

Post by DeepSouthHunter »

I actually asked for and got one for Christmas this past year and smoked up before every hunt the last month of the season. I finally killed my first deer ever, a 3.5 year old buck, while smoked up. This was on heavily hunted public land and on a gun day but I shot him 50 yards from my stand and he came in from down wind. Was the smoke the reason I got him? Probably not since it was the peak of the rut and he was most likely just recklessly cruising for hot does, but I'm sure it didn't hurt my chance and that reason alone will keep me using it. Being an engineer I want to believe the theory that the smoke kills bacteria and eliminates odors. Anyway, that's my experience with the Scent Smoker.
Exocet 200 with "THE RIGHT STUFF" STANDARD PACKAGE
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I re-read what I wrote yesterday- kind of reads like I was putting it down. Sorry.