Rechargeable Batteries & Chargers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

wabi wrote:Does this sound like a good charger????
LaCrosse 9009
That is rated as one of the best right now Mike.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

I ordered the LaCrosse from Amazon today.
I have quite an assortment of NiMH batteries in AA & AAA so I might as well get a charger that will do the job. Had one cheap charger do a "melt down" not too long ago. It got the batteries so hot the adhesive holding the labels melted! Those batteries still work, but it will be interesting to see what the charger says their condition is. :roll:
wabi
wabi

Post by wabi »

Got the new charger today and it's impressive. A lot of features (haven't even tried to figure out all the options yet) that should keep batteries at peak performance.
I tried the "test" feature on a couple old batteries (one AA one AAA) and was not surprised to find they only had about 1/3 of their rated capacity.
I'm charging the new batteries that came with the charger, then I plan to try the "refresh" mode on the 2 batteries I tested. It says the refresh mode can take a few days to perform, so it may be a while before I can report on the outcome.
Also found some interesting reading in the manual that came with the charger. It says new batteries must be cycled several times to reach their full potential. It also says NiMH batteries should be charged every 30 days.

I'm re-thinking some of my hunting equipment (lights) strategy after reading up on the NiMH batteries. I always carried a spare set in my pack, but have often been guilty of taking the light to the house when batteries get weak, then charging and re-installing that same set in the light. From now on the spares go in the light and the discharged batteries get re-charged and carried as spares.
I may also buy and carry an extra set of alkalines as backups!

A dead flashlight is not much use in blood trailing a deer at night! :roll: :lol: :lol:
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Lithium-Ion has taken over in the rechargeable battery department, it is lighter, less memory retention, very resistant to the cold, delivers significantly higher currents when necessary, and Lithium has a 10 year shelf life.
Last year there were AA's available, but I can not seem to find them anymore, likely just me though.

Even as a "back up" for primary AA's I would chose Lithium, they are a bit more costly but you never have to worry about self discharge or cold weather use. The cold weather thing is the big seller for me, alkaline/Ni-Cad and Nimh all diminish rapidly in the cold, especially under load.
Lithium is also lighter, important for those who have to pack things in and out of situations.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string