Equinox or Vortex

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kwlac

Equinox or Vortex

Post by kwlac »

I have never hunted with a bow and I am getting ready to purchase my first crossbow. Trying to decide between a Equinox or a Vortex. I will be hunting whitetail deer avg. wt. 160 pounds. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
kw
dutchhunter

bows

Post by dutchhunter »

for the avareg guy the vortex will last you a life time of hunting it is a 200lb bow an shots very well .the nice thing about it is it is a littel easyer on the bow and the shooter then the 225lb bow .the vortex is a deer killing tool and one of the best ever built .the equinox is a faster bow and is a lot harder to load and is harder on the bow it self .both are great bows DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Boo

Re: bows

Post by Boo »

dutchhunter wrote:for the avareg guy the vortex will last you a life time of hunting it is a 200lb bow an shots very well .the nice thing about it is it is a littel easyer on the bow and the shooter then the 225lb bow .the vortex is a deer killing tool and one of the best ever built .the equinox is a faster bow and is a lot harder to load and is harder on the bow it self .both are great bows DUTCH
I can't disagree with that!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Which ever one you feel comfortable with, you'll know when you put it up to your shoulder

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Had an Equinox for a while.Too much bow for me. I like to shoot a lot. Cocking it became laborious, not to mention rapid serving wear and harsh vibrations. It's a great bow, if you need one tha powerful.
Downsized to a Vortex couldn't be happier. If you're shooting 160 lb deer, Vortex (or Ibex) is more than enough. But if you want to shoot an elephant (like Bill did) well maybe.....
Houndsman

Post by Houndsman »

I'm very happy with my Vortex.Plenty of Bow for anything I'll ever shoot.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) First of all Welcome to the forum :)
Next question is how tall are you ?
The Equinox , Vortex and Ibex all share the same thumbhole stock with the same length of pull . While the Exomax , Exocet and Phoenix share the same traditional stock which has a slightly longer length of pull . The differences for power come from the length of the power stroke .
If all you plan on hunting are deer then there is absolutely nothing wrong with even the Ibex/Phoenix .
What ever Excalibur you choose it will not be a bad choice . :D
kwlac

Post by kwlac »

thanks to everyone,
I am about 5' 10" weight 180
kw
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

I spent afew sleepless afternoons on the couch trying to decide :lol: . I got the Vortex and couldn't be happier. I like the thumb-hole stock and like all excaliburs... it drills tacks.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

That's what's called a conundrum wrapped in an enigma.

Try shooting both if you can. Both great bows, one just easier to cock (for me) than the other. Best luck.
ManX

Post by ManX »

I have an exomax, but Vortex of my friend is better:
-200# enouth pwr to kill everything
-less noises and vibrations(dangerous for your reticle scope)
-shotting80y looks precisier than mine probably 'cause also a 2213 has a right spin for 200# and with 25#more flex too.
-really compat misure (3''less than mine).
-with an inch less libs are less stressed(consider the in my opinion Excal makes just one pair of limbs for all his models) also string and serving work less and this increase their life.
regards :wink:
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/ManX850/exorealtree-1.jpg[/img] ExomanX, Meopta 3100,[url=http://www.wolfszeit.com/images/WO.Mo.09-li..JPG]Wolfszeit[/url] scope mount, produce in ManX Factory spa: shock absorbers, 48 fff , 2216xx78 27% foc
peter p

Post by peter p »

Vortex
wabi

Post by wabi »

Given those choices I would pick the Phoenix. :wink: :lol: :lol:
wabi
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Cossack is that like a burito with refried beans???
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Welcome to the forum .The 200 # Vortex would get my vote tried the 225 # model and it was just not comfortable to load .