Old Hunting Pocket Warmer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bojangles

Old Hunting Pocket Warmer

Post by bojangles »

I found a Old(looks old)Pocket warmer in my attic..no idea it was there until I stumbled upon it today...Does anyone use or use to use one of these?..It looks like a little metal flask and you pop the lid off and theres a wick you light put the lid back on and you fill the bottom with lighter fluid then put it back into your pocket to keep warm....Just wondering if anyone knew anything about these?..Seems a little unsafe to put in a pocket :? ....I can post pictures if no one knows what im talking about.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Zippo still sells something like you describe. I considered getting one for ice fishing. let me know how it works out for ya!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Gimpaw

Post by Gimpaw »

I used to use one when I went to the snowmobile races back in the early 70's. Haven't seen one since then.
They work, but I wouldn't use one for hunting. They have a lighter fluid odor that will spook deer.
"I was young and foolish; now I'm old and foolisher".
Mark Twain
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

I just looked at the zippo one online and it looks the exact same except its bigger and has different shaped holes...Im not going to use it due to the lighter fluid smell....Just never knew they had such a thing
Gimpaw

Post by Gimpaw »

bojangles wrote:....Just never knew they had such a thing
You just gotta be an old fart to remember those antiques.
"I was young and foolish; now I'm old and foolisher".
Mark Twain
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

im in my 40's...isnt that old enough lol....I think ill just keep it on my fire place mantel to look at...
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

Were they not called John E Warmers, I had 1
Last edited by Bambiblaster on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
bobby2bears

Post by bobby2bears »

The really old ones came with a red felt drawstring bag and were sold under the name Jon-E Warmer. They even had a hole in them on one side so you could light a cigarette off of the wick burner. There were two sizes and they got really hot. Not that I am old enough to remember or anything!
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:shock: :shock: I remember those and yeah i'm an oldie!!!! :lol: :lol: They were great but did give off an odour! Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

They have been around for a long time and work quite well . They are still available . I purchase a new Jon - E handwarmer last year . Cabelas still sells them as well
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0006823.shtml
Esox

Post by Esox »

Back in the day they were the greatest thing to have while ice fishing.....

I used to use one and moved it around from pocket to pocket, because they did get very hot....

As said before, not very good to use while bow hunting.... though I knew a couple of fellows that did use them while gun hunting....
lscha

Post by lscha »

bobby2bears wrote:The really old ones came with a red felt drawstring bag and were sold under the name Jon-E Warmer. They even had a hole in them on one side so you could light a cigarette off of the wick burner. There were two sizes and they got really hot. Not that I am old enough to remember or anything!
:lol: :lol: :lol: I used to have a couple of them while I hunted because I never had a blind in those days. I would keep one in a hand muff and move the other one around to different pockets. Seems clothes and boots were not as warm in those days.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I remember using red felted ones that burned a silver stick of something in them.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

How soon they forget. I actually have several. Used them all the time. Worked, if you could keep them lit under all the clothes one had on when needing them. They do give off fumes that can irritate the skin if too close, not to mention a noticeable smell. Remember the ritual of lighting them prior to breakfast so they would be glowing bright prior to leaving ...the TENT.
Ah yes, the "good ole days." :roll:
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I remember the old ones in the red felt bag. Dad had one in with some of his hunting stuff.

I've got one of the Zippo warmers like it that I use now. There's no exposed flame or anything and it will stay lit until it either runs out of fluid or you decide to shut it off. It gives off a little bit of scent, but not much. Actually, the lighter fluid inside it smells more than it does when it's lit.

2 years ago I gave mine a workout! I was hunting quite a bit in colder weather and it stayed going all of the time it seemed like. The little disposable chemical hand warmers work, but I hate to always be messing with the packages and then them slowly dying on you. Besides, to me anyway, you can feel the difference between chemical reaction heat and "burning" heat. :wink:

I got mine as a gift from my brother, who got me and him both one off of Ebay. He's tighter than the bark on a tree, so he must have gotten a good deal on them. :lol:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.