broadheads, broadheads, broadheads, broadheads, broadheads,

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

broadheads, broadheads, broadheads, broadheads, broadheads,

Post by one shot scott »

http://www.trophyridge.com/broadheads/

Tis the season to talk broadheads :lol: I have used fixed blades since I took up archery with mostly good success. This year I want to try some expandibles. I like the idea of a large gaping wound, so that even this colour blind guy can track.( I cant see red mixed with green ). :evil: In my searches I have found a few companies that seem to mix the two. The trophy ridge buckblaster is one of them. They combine the fixed head with an expandible that opens to 2 3/4"!!!!! question to all the experienced hunters here: How do you think that sucker would fly? I am just trying to get a idea here. I realize the only true way would be to lay down some cash and give 'em a go.

So what do you guys/gals think????
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i think you will be better off using one or the other, either fixed or mech. i have not used that BH myself.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

I had expandibles and went back to fixed. A friend of mine shot a Doe with them on a downward Quartering away shot into the Bread Basket Normal easy blood trail and Kill shot but the doe went off with very little blood and was found later with the whole arrow still in her. One blade on opening caught a rib making it turn 120' up into the loins. I'll stay with Fixed that was good enough for me. They can cause problemns.

John
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
Esox

Post by Esox »

A lot work well, some better than others...... Slick Tricks.... work fine
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

with my colour blind vision I cant see a trail, I need a blood bath. :wink: This is why I am trying something around the 2" width. hopefully 3 blade. I have used wasp boss, slick tricks, boltcutters, and some chinese(desperate times, desperate measures), all have left a good trail that my buddy can find, but i cant see it unless he points it out. Even then its hard. Sumner recommended a good head that I am likely going to use. Thats when I came across the fixed/expandibles. That would cut them down in a hurry if it flew to the deer in a straight line :lol:

more cut tissue means more blood as long as the blades open. In the event they dont, you still have the fixed blade portion.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

You said it yourself " As long as the Blades open" My Personal Problem is I see to many Bow shot deer get away. It's not fair to the Deer or the Bow hunters who take the flack for the ones that get away and die, without being found.
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

To all there own. But can't get much more reliable than the Montec G5 one piece design. Only down side is a one inch cut. I'll go for the reliability though.
Why ride when you can walk!
michiganman

heads

Post by michiganman »

we have been shooting rocket heads for years,with over 50 kills with them as a family.ill be shooting the new 2009 rocket stricknine 2" cut.i tested it to 40 yards at 305fps and shot great with my fieldtips.this head will open on contact every time and leave a massive hole.JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

Hey, michiganman how do you like the stricknine. is there any problems with the ferrule being aluminum?
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Michael Stogre

broadheads

Post by Michael Stogre »

Shot one deer with a NAP spitfire. It took out the ribs on both sides. There
was a massive blood trail. It was a clear broadside shot. More recently, shifted
to sonic heads and last year to boltcutters. I like the extreme FOC with the
latter head. All did their job efficiently.
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
michiganman

heads

Post by michiganman »

no problem with the stricknine,but i use it only once.we also shoot the sidewinder out of the bows with great results at 1.5" cut. there is also the new 1.5" steelhead that shot real well.with all stell ferule
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
whdahel

Post by whdahel »

I know you are discussing mechanical s, but has any one used the muzzy mx3's (3 fixed blades)? I just bought some to try.
michiganman

heads

Post by michiganman »

muzzy mx3's (3 fixed blades

buddy of mine shoots them with good results.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
whateverworks

Post by whateverworks »

I've used wasp jackhammers for a few years now and never had any issues, blades allways opened and stayed intact even through ribs and even when pulled out of the ground after the shot.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

everyone knows by now im a HUGE rage fan.. cant beat the 3 blades :D

its really hard to compare blood trailing with any heads out there. I mean the shot could miss a artery by inches or it could clot.. the same exact shot on the same deer again could leave a different blood trail

ive never lost a deer with any bhead that was hit right... The list includes muzzy, wasp, spitfire, slick tricks, rage, and some old style 2blade antique heads when I was 14 LOL

but out of all of them im very picky about flight and rage definitely sent the others above home in a rage :P

they open for one massive wound.. looks like a baseball blew through the deer