shooting distance

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gogo

shooting distance

Post by gogo »

Lost my math skills. If your 10ft up in your treestand and your target is 60 ft away how far is it away from you. Is there a rule of thumb to figure that out, it is for us with no range finder.
frank25

Post by frank25 »

i would say 20 yards
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

I am not a math wizard but I have used this formula many times...

Frank 25 has it just about right....the formula for that is...

In any right triangle, the area of the square whose side is the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the areas of the squares whose sides are the two legs (the two sides that meet at a right angle)...or written as a formula...

(A) squared plus (B) squared equals (C) squared....(A) being the height of your treestand...(B) being the distance to the target. from the base of the tree...and (C) being the diagonal distance to the target....thus 10 squared equals 100...60 squared equals 3600...add them and you get 3700...take the square root of 3700 and you get 60.82 or rounded off 61 feet...pretty close to 20 yards...this formula is also useful to determine a square corner for building decks and patios...its called the 3, 4 and 5 rule....measure 3 feet on one edge...then 4 feet on the other side....place your tape measure exactly 5 feet between the two points and you have a right angle... because 3 squared equale 9... plus 4 squared equals 16...added equals 25....the square root of 25 equals 5...If I remember correctly this is called Pythagoreans Theorem....the one and only thing I remember from 8thgrade math....I have used it quite a bit to build decks...
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
saxman

Post by saxman »

Pi are round
Cornbread are square
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I was really hoping Y=MX+B could solve this. :lol:

So let's see if I got this straight, if I'm bow hunting from a stand the deer seem father away so I range them. If I'm in a stand they're effectively farther away because of the evil forces of gravity and the math. But because the deer are going to duck the string I have to shoot low. Sheesh. Like a wise archer once said: Just aim normally and put an arrow in there. The problem for us is really only magnified at shorter ranges where if you are off by even 10 yds in your ranging you're only talking a couple of inches anyways.

The best advice is practice from a stand at varying ranges. This is why I made a stand for my Black Hole block so that I can adjust it for varying angles.
Last edited by Phoenix_Tom on Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
wabi

Post by wabi »

The answer is
60.827625302982196889996842425021~

Simple answer - on relatively level ground, not enough to worry about. :wink: :lol:
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

saxman wrote:Pi are round
Cornbread are square
:D :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bill morrison

Post by bill morrison »

gravity only works on objects in the horizontal plane, so the distance for an aiming reference is the distance from the base of your stand to the target assuming that your stand is not on the side of a steep hill and the deer etc. is not significantly below that level. so if target is 15 yard from base of stand that is the pin or crosshair reference that is used for the shot, regardless of height of platform.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Just let her fly for 20 yards and get the gutting knife out.

Rich
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Rich wrote:Just let her fly for 20 yards and get the gutting knife out.

Rich
X 2.

10ft up really isn't an issue for a 300fps arrow. Its almost the same as being on the ground.

DuckHunt
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

[quote="Missouri_Hunter"]
In any right triangle, the area of the square whose side is the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the areas of the squares whose sides are the two legs (the two sides that meet at a right angle)...or written as a formula...

:cry: :cry: :cry: I got a headache
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

There once was an Indian campground w/ many tribes. The son of a squaw in the Hippopotamus tribe got in a fight w/ two other sons and whipped there butt[s].

Moral of the story: The son [sum] of the squaw [square]of the Hippotomous [hypotenuse] is equal to the sons of the squaws of the other two hides.

:D :D :D
"Eze 18:21"
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

You can also double and re-double the numbers and the old 3-4-5 triangle works.

6-8-10.....yields...36+64=100

...and can double again, and again for those large decks.

The angle of trajectory is different than a straight measurement. There are multiple factors involved. The best way to determine what your bow will shoot, is to shoot it and skip all the figures. Climb up on your roof and fire away at the different ranges. Then you will have the best figure available.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
gogo

Post by gogo »

Ok folks the drift I got is forget pi this and pi that, not much difference in distance just fire away as normal. thanks for all the replies
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Someone posted a website last year that had a series of scenarios of deer at different angles and you had to click on the right spot on the deer for the kill shot. Some of those were from above. It was pretty good. I'll try looking for it...
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s