shooting distance

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

[quote="Missouri_Hunter"]
In any right triangle, the area of the square whose side is the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the areas of the squares whose sides are the two legs (the two sides that meet at a right angle)...or written as a formula...

:cry: :cry: :cry: I got a headache
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

There once was an Indian campground w/ many tribes. The son of a squaw in the Hippopotamus tribe got in a fight w/ two other sons and whipped there butt[s].

Moral of the story: The son [sum] of the squaw [square]of the Hippotomous [hypotenuse] is equal to the sons of the squaws of the other two hides.

:D :D :D
"Eze 18:21"
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

You can also double and re-double the numbers and the old 3-4-5 triangle works.

6-8-10.....yields...36+64=100

...and can double again, and again for those large decks.

The angle of trajectory is different than a straight measurement. There are multiple factors involved. The best way to determine what your bow will shoot, is to shoot it and skip all the figures. Climb up on your roof and fire away at the different ranges. Then you will have the best figure available.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
gogo

Post by gogo »

Ok folks the drift I got is forget pi this and pi that, not much difference in distance just fire away as normal. thanks for all the replies
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Someone posted a website last year that had a series of scenarios of deer at different angles and you had to click on the right spot on the deer for the kill shot. Some of those were from above. It was pretty good. I'll try looking for it...
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

bstout wrote:
gogo wrote:Ok folks the drift I got is forget pi this and pi that, not much difference in distance just fire away as normal. thanks for all the replies
Archery hunting is a sport of inches.
I like that sentence!
I don't practice from an elevated position because I don't hunt from an elevated position. I did pick up a climber to try this year, but I will be sure to practice shooting first so I can understand this gravity issue, for some reason I can't get a grasp on it by just reading.
The other option, unfortunately an expensive option, is a angle compensating range finder.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Just like practicing on flat ground, go climb your stand and shoot at different distances til your satified with your shooting, you won't know where your hitting til you do this, don't wait til the last minute.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Here is a graph that I put together showing what happens as you increase your stand height.

Here is the table version of the graph above for a 15ft height.
bowtime

Post by bowtime »

bill morrison wrote:gravity only works on objects in the horizontal plane, so the distance for an aiming reference is the distance from the base of your stand to the target assuming that your stand is not on the side of a steep hill and the deer etc. is not significantly below that level. so if target is 15 yard from base of stand that is the pin or crosshair reference that is used for the shot, regardless of height of platform.
How do you turn off the gravity when shooting other than horizontal?
bill morrison

Post by bill morrison »

you can't turn off gravity, it only works on an object in the horizontal plane ,so if you look at the graph in earlier reply it is side b that is the distance over which gravity works. same as if you placed a rifle perfectly level and placed a bullet beside the barrel and released it in a free fall the instant the gun was fired both bullets would hit the ground at the same time. as far as the issue of straight down or straight up the gravity is working straight down so you would have to use the pin closest to the line of sight of the arrow, or the lowest pin which would equate to the pin for the farthest horzontal distance.