What scared my buck away?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ottawa Valley Lad

What scared my buck away?

Post by Ottawa Valley Lad »

Any thoughts on what scared my buck away, have not seen him in over a week. Would deer stay away if a fisher starts making regular visits?
vixenmaster

Re: What scared my buck away?

Post by vixenmaster »

No, the Buck is either nocturnal or off chasing Doe's or is coming out in mid-day. Or maybe someone else has taken him
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
barnett

Post by barnett »

:D How's it going EH or gidday im from the valley to. Ok enuff play, do you hunt the same spot over and over? do you switch things up? same cloths? same stands? IF....................... your doing this alot or some of the time your buck might be going into nockturnal mode or simply changing his patterns, Ive done this in the past and have changed many deer patterns as well, but over time you can fool them, you might want to try a bit of scouting and place your stands else where. Good luck. p.s. where you at im a eganville lad born in pembroke.
If your not first YOUR LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ottawa Valley Lad

barnett wrote::D How's it going EH or gidday im from the valley to. Ok enuff play, do you hunt the same spot over and over? do you switch things up? same cloths? same stands? IF....................... your doing this alot or some of the time your buck might be going into nockturnal mode or simply changing his patterns, Ive done this in the past and have changed many deer patterns as well, but over time you can fool them, you might want to try a bit of scouting and place your stands else where. Good luck. p.s. where you at im a eganville lad born in pembroke.
I live on Mink Lake at Eganville.......

My trail cam was showing the buck comming in anytime from 4 pm to 7 pm every day from the same direction for over 3 weeks, the does were comming in later than that. Then one night a fisher showed up on the trail cam, and comes back about the same time every day. Ever since the deer have not been back. I thought it was a little strange, so thought I would ask. There is only one way in to the spot, so I only go if the wind is in my favour. As for clothes, yes same clothes, scent lock, and scent spray all the time.
barnett

Post by barnett »

Well just hang in there then, He's either chasing does or you spooked him or someone else got him. Thats not someone wants to hear but could be. :( Try and feed him out or put some scents out or play the waiting game. Mink lake :D i grew up on that lake with my grandfather, you know any leducs?
If your not first YOUR LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

People, people, people. I can't imagine a fisher changing the patterns of a buck. In that situation, 99% of the time a buck will move because of human pressure, especially if its a mature buck.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Ottawa Valley Lad

Thats what I was wondering, I only go in mid week to drop off apples, and then again on Sunday mornings and stay for the day to hunt. This past week was muzzle loader season, so either some one else got him, or spooked him away. Now all I have is pics of a big male fisher, one wolf and a few rabbits.

Lots of snow tonight, and the rest of this week, hope the colder temps and snow improve my luck.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

90% sure its human presence... if you over hunt a spot or vist an area way to much you will drive a mature buck or much less any deer from that area.

I always kill my best bucks in stands I havent touched and areas I havent visited since 3 months before season. Trail cameras can be a hunters biggest enemy since everyone likes to over check them. Deer know when you are in the woods, espically if you come to the same area. They will avoid that area.

If you want a shot at him, your best bet is to move to a different area in that woods. But hunting is a guesisng game... if it was easy, everyone would have 180inch deer on the wall lOL
michiganman

Post by michiganman »

crazy farmer you said it well,and the deer you shoot prove your point.i for one hunt my same stands too much,and each day i hunt them my chances for seeing a nice deer in that stand gets slimmer each visit.

my older brother has shot 60 michigan bucks with a bow.he will tell you the first time he hunts that stand is his best chance for shooting a decent buck.from then on,its the deer hunting us.they follow your scent to your tree in the dark,and know right were your hunting after a few times out,JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

My guess is a new food source
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

michiganman wrote:
my older brother has shot 60 michigan bucks with a bow.he will tell you the first time he hunts that stand is his best chance for shooting a decent buck.
It would be wise to listen to your older brother. :)
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Mike P wrote:
michiganman wrote:
my older brother has shot 60 michigan bucks with a bow.he will tell you the first time he hunts that stand is his best chance for shooting a decent buck.
It would be wise to listen to your older brother. :)
im also a believer in hunting stands that produce. If you have hunted a stand 3-4 times and have yet to see something, then move to a different spot. If you are seeing deer, then its a different story. Out of 20-30 stands I have up, normally 4-5 of them will get HOT. Meaning I always see deer from them so I will hunt them as long as they stay active. Every year, its different stands that produce also. Usually the stands I didnt hunt much the year before produce the following year. I think thats in part to human pressure. Deer seem to remember the following year and where hunters visited often.

mature bucks are smart.. they know when someone is in there area. Think of it as someone in your house. :D
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I'd bet he's within a couple of miles of your place, holed up in the thickest cover around that doesn't have any human scent. He'll be back about the time you give up for the year. :P Hunting big bucks is a frustrating hobby! Gary