bald eagle sighting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ch312

bald eagle sighting

Post by ch312 »

a couple days ago on my way to guelph i took the "back way" along the river near cambridge. on the way i noticed a large bird that seemed too dark to be a turkey vulture. took me a couple seconds to piece it together...white tail...white head....bald eagle!

ive heard about them nesting in brantford but have yet to see one. the first one i have seen around here and it sure was nice seeing one cruising around. :D

does anyone have know how many "they" figure are around here?
Pydpiper

Re: bald eagle sighting

Post by Pydpiper »

I have seen a couple around here, I think there is a nest or two in Paris.
A few years ago my son and I were fishing, as we pulled in to the pond up the road I seen one, in the tree, 30 yards away, it took my breath away when it spread it's wings and took flight.
The next one I was parked on the outskirts of Brantford, one flew over. It really is a cool feeling to see one!
Last edited by Pydpiper on Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I saw one near Cambridge two years ago.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

http://www.brantnews.com/news.cfm?page= ... cleId=6087 I have seen them near the river here while walking my dog
The best things in life are not things!!
Czy Horse

Post by Czy Horse »

Have seen them in a couple different spots around the Maitland River water shed. Never anytime I have the darn camera.

Czy Horse
2009 - Excalibur Exocet 200 c/w Boo String
1988 - Excalibur Wolverine c/w Boo String
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Neat experience! I'm glad you got to see one. :D

We have year-round eagles in this area, and I see them every winter on this farm.

Sometimes I'll bait them with carrion (usually a dead possum) and watch their juveniles up close. The juveniles are UGLY! :shock: :P
Grizz
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

They are pretty common around here and if I ever find a nest on my family's land, I won't tell a soul because then land-use restrictions take place. Bye bye cutting any firewood.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Theres been 1 nesting in Caledonia for a few years now.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

On the Grand River from Cayuga to Port Maitland are 3 different nests. I have seen a total of 8 immature and mature birds!! Ray.
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

We have a lot of Bald Eagles in our area. I live in a "twin cities" type area and have seen an eagle fly 8'-10' off of the ground flying right down our street and land in a big pine. Also had one this year fly right over our back yard...wondered if it was checking out our cocker. They are beautiful birds but will have to compete for carrion with the wolves and coyotes now.

Long
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

They are very popular down here in SE Louisiana, see them often. They are a beautiful site to see. I saw a program on tv last week saying that they were coming back strong in Alaska. A lady had been feeding them in her yard for a number of years and they were over running the town. Most I'd see together at one time. :) :) :) :)
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Two days after moving down here, one scooped a catfish and ate it in my backyard. I thought it was so cool. Then it became apparent that they are everywhere down here.

While I was fishing for bass, an Osprey caught a fish. He started screaming and calling to his mate, who was comming very quickly. I couldn't understand the rucus, until I saw the Eagle. He came at him straight away, and as he approached, he turned upside down and snatched that fish away.

That Osprey was so mad. Now I know why he was squalling like that, wasn't the first time he had had that experience.

I believe they are translocating them. I have never seen them eating road kill, just fish.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I enjoyed watching a pair make a nest the otherday while in my tree. They raised alot of rukus.NOISEY screatching and screaming. typical...He must not have been building it right.. :roll: It was the highlight of my eve. I recorded it...let me see if i can get it to my computer.. I will upload it..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Hoss wrote: They raised alot of rukus.NOISEY screatching and screaming. typical...He must not have been building it right.. :roll:
:D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string