STRING JUMPING DEER

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

STRING JUMPING DEER

Post by gerald strine »

I want to buy my first crossbow and get ready for next years season but was wondering about maximum range where string jump is not really a facter.
I beleave the Q and A section said it was 20 yards but is that for all draw weights ?
I saw a used Phoenix for sale and thought at 305 fps I would have more problems than with a equinox at 350fps several sales people say 40yrds is about the max range where this is not a problem but I do not think they evan own a crassbow.
What have the forum members experenced with this and is the extra 50fps much of a advantage.
What is the yardage moral limit for deer with a x bow I do not want to learn this by experance.
Thanks for your wisdom.
Jerry
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
bowtime

Re: STRING JUMPING DEER

Post by bowtime »

Last Sat.I shot at a buck 40 yards with a compound bow.The deer turned to run
just as arrow went buy, light poundage speed 215 fps.I feel that my Phoenix
at 288fps would have hit that buck. One thing I have discovered about crossbows is the arrow drops after 30-35 yds ....I can hit foam by holding
on top of target. I use open sights...no scope I don't shoot at animals over 40 yds.
Good luck! :)
PRB

Post by PRB »

Ive seen deer jump fences a few times. If they ever get close enough to jump your string then you need to shoot them :D
Dont forget that deer can react to the the fast flashing movement of your limbs from any bow for that matter out of their peripheral vision. I beat this subject into the ground so hard it made my head spin. The best advice I feel that was ever given to me was to only take those shots that you feel comfortable with and that you have practices for. This combined with trying your best to read the deers alertness which really takes time and experience might help.
On the other hand there is no doubt in my mind that a faster bow can make the difference. Trying to duplicate those times when that faster bow would have made a difference is sometimes the hard part. Sorry I couldnt help more and good luck.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
bdog

Post by bdog »

If that deer is on alert and not settled down, even at 20 yards you have a good chance of missing or wounding the animal, with any bow, you have to read the deer first and wait for the right shot,you can practise all day out to 50 yards and be very accurate,but throw in a slight breeze and a deer thats highly alert then I wish you luck with that shot... even at 20 yards.
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I would say 35 yds is a long ways to shoot unless its along field or opening edges. Up in these thick woods its difficult to get a clear shot at 35 yds. 30 yds is good after that its up to the deers alertness
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

smokepolehall wrote:I would say 35 yds is a long ways to shoot unless its along field or opening edges. Up in these thick woods its difficult to get a clear shot at 35 yds. 30 yds is good after that its up to the deers alertness
Xs-2
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
Exomaxer

Post by Exomaxer »

Last edited by Exomaxer on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Too many variables. You are always taking a chance when you pull the trigger. I have seen deer jump for no reason at all, that I could see/hear.

However, my no problem yardage is 30 yards with the Exomax. As long as the deer doesn't decide to jump just prior to me pulling the trigger.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

If you are worried about string jump, follow the advice of bow hunting great Chuck Adams, who said he always aims for the heart and if a deer jumps the string he'll usually hit it in the lungs.
That sounds like good advice to me.
Jerry
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

30 Yards with my Exomax.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Norlander wrote:If you are worried about string jump, follow the advice of bow hunting great Chuck Adams
Indeed. 8)

The Notorious Chuckster is right, of course ... because experience tells the tale.

When they hear the noise of our shots:

Deer typically don't leap up to "jump the string"! .

Deer often do crouch down to load the springs!

Jumping up would only keep them around longer. What they're interested in is getting the (well, you know) out of Dodge ... so if they're startled, the first thing they do is "get in gear" by loading those leg muscles. It's easy to see exactly what happens during "string jump" on slo-mo hunting videos.

So, Chuck is exactly right:

The thing to do is to aim for the lowest high-percentage vital shot. If it hits exactly there, you're good. If they drop into a crouch before the arrow arrives (as they often do), you're good. If they get even lower by launching into flight, you're still good, though it will be a spine shot.

Adams knows his stuff.
Grizz
saxman

Post by saxman »

There isn't one,to many things to consider.
Keep your shots as close as you would with a vert bow.
Shoot at relaxed animals.
Set a personal Max Range and stick to it.
The crossbow is not a majic weapon with super powers,it is a horizontal bow.
Treat it as such and there should never be a problem.
Welcome friend.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Flight is their primary response to danger. IMO, ANY unnatural sound that alerts the deer prior to shooting put them in pre-flight mode; the next sound triggers the response.
Stopping a deer with a 'blaaat', whatever, puts it on edge, the sound of the bow and even the arrow in flight, causes evasive action. I think that they can actually see the arrow coming too. Long story short: relaxed deer, close up.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
phil

Post by phil »

i agree with what was said in the above posts. I also have studied this a lot. Depending on temperature, the speed of sound moves about 1100 ft per second...about 3x as fast as any bow out there. A difference of 50 or so ft per second is not going to make that much of a difference. Your arrow/bolt will only be about a third of the way to the deer when he heres you fire. Faster is better, but not as important as these companies say it is. I will not shoot more then 25 yds with my compound, not more then 35 with my xbow, and no more then 20 yds with my recurve. This is the distances i set for myself because of accuracy issues.
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

You guys need to figure out how to fix your avartars . . .otherwise your responses are getting lost in the corner of the screen and getting passed over.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen