String jumping part 2

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

String jumping part 2

Post by gerald strine »

Hello forum members thanks for all the input on my question on string jumping , yardage and poundage.
I have 25 plus yrs with vertical bows and my self set limit with them is 25 yards.
From the responses I have so far it looks like 30 yards for the X bow is around the limit.
I have always thought the aim for the heart on the broad side shots is the way to go it irks me that the target makers always have the nice circle at center lung they must think I am sighting in my rifle on my archery target.
I would look forward to more input on this who better to ask than the guys and gals out there getting it done. ( or not getting it done because of string lets say ducking)
Thanks all
Jerry
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
one shot scott

Re: String jumping part 2

Post by one shot scott »

30-40 is max for me. Aiming for heart is a good idea, if the deer ducks down its lung, if it jumps up, its a good chance for a clean miss.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
fishbait

Re: String jumping part 2

Post by fishbait »

I would generally agee with everything said so far. One more important point is the range estimite. Our arrows drop like rocks and taking a shot beyond 30 yards or so requires the range to be measured, not estimated. In my earlier years many of my misses were because of this and I wrongfully assumed it was string jump. You really need to use a laser range finder on those longer shots.
If it breaks replace it with a bigger piece of steel