Arrow Spinning

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

picasso

Arrow Spinning

Post by picasso »

As has been suggested to under other posts. How do I 'spin' an arrow to check for trueness of both shaft AND shaft to tip for wobble?
Is there a device?

Thanks
Picasso
Pydpiper

Re: Arrow Spinning

Post by Pydpiper »

awshucks sent me directions for a great tool, easily and cheaply made using 4 marbles and chunk of 2x4, I will find a picture and post it for you.

Just took another picture..
Here ya go, it isn't a complicated device by any means, but it will allow you to spin an arrow to be sure that it is true to it's axis, as well as the broadhead. Your eyes will pick out inperfections on the shaft as it spins. Once you understand what you are looking at/for you will be able to do it in the palm of your hand with ease.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
picasso

Post by picasso »

Thanks, I like the simplicity. Is there something attached to the 'nock' end of the arrow?

Picasso
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

No, that is a chunk of plate screwed to the end of the 2X4, just keeps the arrow from sliding back when I spin it with my fingers. I had my fletching touch the marbles in the past and it gives the illusion that the broadhead is not true to center. A screw and a washer fixed that.
If I get real pickey I use a Mititoyo meter on the broadhead tip, it measures fluctuations in tiny measurements, I have also been known to use a strobe light that I keep in my pocket (doesn't everyone??), it works well too. Both are overkill, just me getting carried away.
The board and marles will get the job done for you. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

A cheaper method is to put 2 straight arrows side by side 8 inches apart into your target. Place the arrow to be checked, horizontally on these arrows. Lift 1 straight arrow till the arrow to be checked rotates down the 2 arrows. Ray
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Don't want to wait for epoxy to set or short on marbles? Someone long forgotten posted yet another cheap and dirty method a while ago, drive two finish nails next to each other in lieu of marbles, then bend then over to form an "X" or "V" and spin away!

I'd credit the nail bender if I could remember his name, but alas.............
"Eze 18:21"
huntone

Post by huntone »

I will spin as pydpiper does. I also stand the arrow up on it's tip, on a flat surface, and spin it, and look for wobble
at the broadhead junction.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

For a quick field check with a good fieldpoint or hunting head with out any tip deformaties put out your left hand palm up put the arrow tip on your palm with the arrow stright up and spin it with the right hands thumb and forefinger with a sort of snaping motion.
You will feel any problems as a wobble.
I like the marble thing, some thing that helps with that is get a carton with small print on it like a a cereal box get the arrow tip lined up with a small printed letter on the box and spin it if the tip stayes on the letter great if you see the tip make a circle or wabble it it less than perfect ,not nessaseraly a bad arrow but mite not be your number 1 arrow in the quiver
I spin my arrows and use a felt tip marker to number them by how well the spin 1 through 6 for example.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Airwolf

Post by Airwolf »

I may not be able to use this. :cry:

Where do I find an adult to supervise?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.

Black Vixen carved tip
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Airwolf wrote:I may not be able to use this. :cry:

Where do I find an adult to supervise?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That's the reason I like it best, I love that label.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

A friend gave me an arrow srtaightener w/ a broken dial indicator. I don't shoot alums, but the broken indicator intrigued me, so I tore it apart and made a little post out of a finish nail for the return spring to catch on.

Next, I needed a use for it, so moved the dial from middle to the end of alum frame and voila! Bhead concentricity checker for the anal retentive.

I'd sold a black carved tip Vixen to Smokepole, it came from the guy who gave me the rig. While the bow was breifly in another buddies possession, I got him some 18" customs from Greywolf.

I included a couple of Slicks on the deal w/ Smokey and as I was showing him this wonderful invention, he handed me two Slicked up 18" arrows and said "Check these". They had absolutely no run out at all.

Plick! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"Eze 18:21"