Keeping Warm

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbhntr

Keeping Warm

Post by xbhntr »

Sweating on the way to the stand carrying bow and equipment is the problem!! As I cool down , cold starts to set in;this reduces the amount of time I can sit. I walk 3/4 to 1 mile to the stand. If I take the ATV , I scare them, time is winding down. I got a heater body suit but that's another load on my back. AH for the love of deer hunting!! Ray.
vixenmaster

Re: Keeping Warm

Post by vixenmaster »

It maybe cold when you start. Don't put on your heavy cold weather clothing until you reach yer stand. Seems your moving at a good pace if sweating by the time you get there. I put mine on, :lol: but i move slowly taking my time & leave early enuff i get there while its dark.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I'd pull one of those plastic toboggins and have my extra stuff lashed in there. It would also come in handy for getting the big one out of the bush when you get him.

Long
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

On the atv: I use it a lot, however, what I do is have the wife take me out. When I'm ready to come back, she comes to get me. We've had fantastic luck with this. Perhaps part of the reason is the deer are accustomed to seeing me on the atv a lot.

I also take great pains to try to not upset the deer whenever I am in back. I drive slow (5-6 mph max) and if I see deer, I stop. Usually they will stand looking at me. If they don't leave, I back out and leave myself. Most times if the deer do run off when I'm going out, they are right back within just a few minutes (5-10) and are not spooky either.

I've thought about one of those heater body suits and may still get one.

One thing I have found for keeping warm is the ThermaCare wraps. They are worth their weight in gold. I especially like the body wrap. It is really warm and stays warm for over 12 hours.

I have thought about trying the smaller ThermaCare wraps around my toes but haven't tried yet. Maybe next year. This year warmth just was not needed here as the whole rifle season was warm.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
saxman

Post by saxman »

I read this thread with great interest as I hunt other states sometimes and must be ready for anything.
Even down here it gets cold (feeling) this damp cold will go to the bone in just a few minutes,I wear the same clothes here as I do in Michigan.
Sinse my transplant and all these med's I'm on I get cold at lower temps and faster.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Those heat patches in the small of the back or between the shoulder blades are wonderful. I find when it's as cold as it is now I'm good for only about 2-3 hrs in the tree.

Not like it matters much for me this year since there don't seem to be any freakin' deer around!!! :evil:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

B-Logger wrote:
One thing I have found for keeping warm is the ThermaCare wraps. They are worth their weight in gold. I especially like the body wrap. It is really warm and stays warm for over 12 hours
I have to use these. My insurance company pays for them as they help quite a bit with my back pain. I couldn't hunt in the cold without them :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I have the same problem with over heating,now alot of the time I wear a cotton tee shirt to absorb the sweet and strip it off on stand and put it in a zip lock bag .
kind of a pain but works for me.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
fishbait

Post by fishbait »

I recived a pair of electric socks for christmas one year, they lasted about a week so I retrofitted them with 47 ohm 2 watt resistors sown into the toes. This has worked great allowing me to ditch the pack boots. My 9 year old donated the 9 volt MNH battery out of her CD player.

If it breaks replace it with a bigger piece of steel
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

in the mornings i had a walk in of about 1.5 km ..had to take the long walk around my area not to spook deer out of it ....dress as lite as you can...bring in a switch of long underwear if you have to if you get too sweaty ... i'm a belever in underarmour type cloths and they worked this year for me ... hunted in stands, blinds and on the ground this year in temps down to minus 20 cel without the wind chill but ususally -5cto -12 c....always carried the winter jacket but very seldom wore it due to the noise it makesand it lost it warms from a few years back so it had to be ral cold and or wet to wear it .....mostly just wore fleece and layered clothing and very loose un zipped when moblie ...if i do get cold i just move a few hundred yards .....can u leave any gear at your spot ?