What gun must you have

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Re: What gun must you have

Post by Pydpiper »

You need to come around here and talk to some elders.. My grandma for instance, they needed guns to keep their bikes, food and family from being taken from the Germans, there is no talk about small and easy to carry. The "old days" floor me to listen to, I have known her for 40 years, only the last few has she let down her "Dutch reform" guard and told me about "the good old days". It wasn't always about getting food, sometimes it was just about keeping the food they had.
Good thread, great stories, but I still stick with the simple pump shotgun.

Grizzly Adam wrote:
bugs wrote: I was thinking more about the olden days if people needed a gun but had the convenience of what is on the market today and I just couldnt decide if it would be a shotgun or a rifle.
One of my favorite pastimes is interviewing elderly people concerning their lives before "modern times" changed everything ... most of my contacts have been and are pre-WWII generation folks. Because of my occupation, I've had close access to many more older folks than lots of men do, and I have had and do have lots of older friends.

I have had the privilege of personally knowing many an older man who really did depend on a gun to feed the family when they were younger ... mostly during the great depression era. It's a subject I've often talked with them about, at great length, because it's of particular interest to me. Almost every one of them did their hunting to feed the family with a .22 rifle. One of the younger among these men, an Appalachian mountaineer who is a great friend of mine, reports killing 72 deer in the early fifties with a hardware-store lever action, over salt-blocks ... by shooting them in the "earhole", as he puts it. :shock: :P

When I've asked these men about why they didn't use large-caliber rifles and shotguns for hunting, their answers have all been similar: "Didn't need 'em, couldn't afford to shoot 'em, didn't want to tote 'em around, and didn't care to draw undue attention to myself."

Words from the wise, my friends.

When hard times come, more gun than you need, more gun than you can afford, more gun than you care to have with you all the time, and more gun than the least noisy one that will get the job done becomes dead-weight.

So, all things considered, I'd still say, "A rugged .22 rimfire for me." :D 8)
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

Would have to be my bolt action clip fed .22 mag. With a well placed shot its amazing what you can take down. :D
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
Hazmat

Post by Hazmat »

If I could have only one ?

It would my Remington 870 hands down :) with an assortment of Slugs,Buck and bird shot !
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) I like all my toys but I would have to say the old trusted 870 . It can be loaded for small game or larger game . It can be used as a paddle if needed or a club . :D
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Pydpiper wrote:You need to come around here and talk to some elders.. It wasn't always about getting food, sometimes it was just about keeping the food they had. Good thread, great stories, but I still stick with the simple pump shotgun.
I'd love to talk to some of your old folks. It's one of my favorite hobbies.

As you note in your signature line, Pyd, it's all about perspective.

There's really no one-size-fits-all firearm anyway. We all know that.

Nor are there any always-tells-the-tale arguments for the effectiveness of any firearm in every situation.

It is indeed all about perspective, friend. :D

That said, my perspective on finding myself in the position of defending my home and substance from an invading military is this: I believe I'd rather have a good surplus SKS or AK47 for that work than a shotgun of any stripe.

But, to each their own ... as this thread illustrates! :P :wink:
Grizz
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bstout wrote:Grizz, I would have never taken you for a "Hose em down" gun type of guy! :D
In my opinion if pump shotguns weren't the bee's knees for taking down an offender...the cops and the military wouldn't be using them.
If they need hosin', Bob ... by all means! :D

No doubt the humble shotgun has it's place.

Even in my place ... there is a trusty 12 gauge pump in my bedroom, loaded with five rounds of Winchester 00 buckshot ... shucks shells slick as the proverbial snot! It is precisely the arm to have-at-hand in a pinch of the sort that might occur in a dark room or a hallway.

Indeed, I have an assortment of arms suited to various scenarios. Today, while involved in a trip-to-the-tenth-largest-city-in-NC-where-crimes-of-all-sorts-are-perpetrated-upon-innocents-by-thugs-type scenario, I carried a S&W .38+P concealed-hammer Airweight in my jeans pocket.

I try to pick 'em right! :P

But, for assaulting troops of unknown number, I believe I'd prefer a battle rifle of some sort to 'ol scattergun. It's a capacity thing. LOL

But hey ... that's just me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

SKS runs a quick second on my list, survival can mean many things. In the bush, quick and quiet, from my living room window, fast and furious. Sure didn't mean to make a wave..
I live in a world where half the family speaks of guns to provide substance, the other half used them to keep above ground. You would enjoy some of these stories Adam. :D
In my eyes, the best gun in the world is the one you have in your hands.
Grizzly Adam wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:You need to come around here and talk to some elders.. It wasn't always about getting food, sometimes it was just about keeping the food they had. Good thread, great stories, but I still stick with the simple pump shotgun.
I'd love to talk to some of your old folks. It's one of my favorite hobbies.

As you note in your signature line, Pyd, it's all about perspective.

There's really no one-size-fits-all firearm anyway. We all know that.

Nor are there any always-tells-the-tale arguments for the effectiveness of any firearm in every situation.

It is indeed all about perspective, friend. :D

That said, my perspective on finding myself in the position of defending my home and substance from an invading military is this: I believe I'd rather have a good surplus SKS or AK47 for that work than a shotgun of any stripe.

But, to each their own ... as this thread illustrates! :P :wink:
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
huntone

Post by huntone »

I have a couple of AR-15s and they are nice and all, but only the Remington 870 12ga. would get the honor of the only one. :wink: :)
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Pydpiper wrote: In my eyes, the best gun in the world is the one you have in your hands.
You can bet that's the idea when I tuck that S&W Airweight in my pocket! :P :lol:

What gun is a good gun to carry?

The one that's on you when you need it! :wink:
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

22mag or my 22 hornet

I'd still want my glock 21 on my side for self defense

I'd like to have my bow since I could always reuse my arrows after a kill shot :lol:

I cant pick just one but I'd like to have each of the below

22 rimfire
22mag
870 pump
glock 40 or 45cal
and a bow for stealth mode :lol: 8) I'd probably have enough to hold off a small army LOL :evil:
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

My carry weapon is a sig 40. but would not be my choice. It would be hard to pick between the .22 or the 870 12ga.
Crispy
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i need 2 guns remington 7600 in the 270 cal for big game.... moose deer, bear and remington 870 wingmaster 12 guage for ducks, rabbits, grouse and my trusty 20 guage for kicks
Wide8pt

Post by Wide8pt »

The gun I would choose would be my Ruger model 96 lever action 44 rem. Mag. Its an awsome gun, for 100 yds or less of course. I've killed at least 15 deer with it and fits me like a glove. Its about 6lbs and I can take it down for cleaning with only one screwdriver. Ammo comes in 50 packs and I have a ton of that. Short gun, so its easy to manouver as well. Again it depends on the circomestances we were facing, but it would be more than adiquate.
Exocet 200
Boo String
Rage 3 Blade
GT Laser II's
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I'd take my RRA AR-15
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

lot of support for the 870, it just goes to show what a great shotgun it is and it has stood the test of time. if i could only have one i would go with the 870 like so many others.
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!