What broadheads can i use?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Riflemanz

What broadheads can i use?

Post by Riflemanz »

I read the FAQ and i'd like to know if i can use my thunderheads 100gr,wasp 100gr fx blade on a crossbow?Thanks for any info!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Limbs and Sticks

Re: What broadheads can i use?

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Sure as long as they group and you hit where you are aiming.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I don't know what size group they will shoot as i have never used them in a CB. Try them out at 20 yds & see how they fly
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

its trail and error... some do ok and some do better than others. Each setup is sligtly different

see what works best for you 8)
shuey270

Post by shuey270 »

I'm shooting thunderhead 125 out of my Equinox with G.T. laserII's and brass inserts. They work fine! :D
equinox varazone gt laser 2's 125 thunderhead
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Hello Riflemanz!

What bow will you using, and what game will you be hunting?

By reputation I would judge those broadheads to be strong enough for any probable application you would consider.

As other folks have said, accuracy is something you can't predict with certainty. You simply have to test them. Don't forget, you may have to do some "tuning". Don't be too quick to give up on a shaft or broadhead. Do a search here for some good ideas on tuning.

If you are hunting nothing bigger than deer, penetration should not be a concern...unless you are using a really wide-cut broadhead. (Which are aren't.) If you were, you may need to add some weight to your arrow. Or, of course, if you are using a heavy draw bow, that would address the penetration concern for a different direction.

If I were getting into crossbows and already had a supply of broadheads, I would try hard to see if I could make them work. Why waste them? All broadheads cut. Some may be a little stronger than others. Some fly a bit better than others. However, keep in mind that deer are a small, thin skinned, animal. They are not hard to kill.

On the other hand, if I had to buy a supply of broadheads just to get started, my choice would be to get a wider cut, heavier, broadhead. I would do that because I know my Exomax will push them. However, what is optimum for my bow and game I hunt may not apply for you.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Hi Hi5,
I'm still deciding what crossbow to get.I don't want to make a mistake buying one.Can i use the 2 blade rage in a crossbow? :roll:
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i shoot the 3 blade rage heads.. have been since they came out with no issues other than massive blood loss from deer :lol:

im picky and havent found a better grouping bhead yet... :D
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Riflemanz wrote:Hi Hi5,
I'm still deciding what crossbow to get.I don't want to make a mistake buying one.Can i use the 2 blade rage in a crossbow? :roll:

I don't know. I suggest you do a search. No doubt they have been the subject of comment here. However, it's possible that the folks who did use them might not notice your thread or be too busy to reply to your thread. I'm sure they've been discussed.

I have simply never shot a mechanical broadhead out of my xbow. I believe in the KISS approach. I prefer the widest possible cut from a fixed blade, cut on contact, broadhead. Others have raved about their mechanicals. Each to his own....

Something to consider when buying a bow is the warranty of the manufacturer, and the retailer who sells to you. I have only read the praise offered by these folks, and since he lives on your side of the border, he may merit consideration. Here's a link. I own two Excalibur bows and have never had any warranty claims whatsoever, but their reputation is top notch for looking after customers.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... 50&start=0
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

you can kill a deer with a fieldtip if you put the arrow where it needs to go..

same for a mech bhead.. even if it didnt open for some reason, if you punch the lungs or heart its over :D

Ive been using rage since they first came out with no issues at all... alot of deer down due to them. Ive used muzzy, wasp, spitfires, slick tricks, and etc and they all did the job also :wink: