shooting targets with broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ivan varner

shooting targets with broadheads

Post by ivan varner »

is it ok to shoot targets with my boltcutters tips is this good for practice is it a good ideal will it mess up these tips take some sharpness away and is there a diffrence when shooting with a broadhead to shooting with a target tip
vixenmaster

Re: shooting targets with broadheads

Post by vixenmaster »

Don't shoot bag tagets as it will ruin them quick fast & in a hurry! You should certainly site in using yer BH's, use one & save the others fer hunting
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i practise with my old slick tricks that have gone through deer already and use a target from walmart that is just a block of styrofoam in blue and white plastic....this way i know where my xbow will be hitting at what yards....i just put new blades in if i use them for hunting, but i have 2 dozen slick tricks anyway......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

The best way to practice is with your broad heads and you have to buy a couple extra that are practice heads.
I shoot my broad heads into a covered sand pit i have set up in the back yard works great. I ether shoot at a card board deer target suspended in front of the pit or some times I just shoot at a paper cup stuck in the sand.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I shoot mine into the block then resharpen the blades with my hand held sharpener.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
wabi

Post by wabi »

I want to ckeck the exact same arrow/broadhead combination I will be hunting with on targets before I hunt with them.

This means either re-sharpen or replace the blades after practice (depending on type of broadhead) and before hunting. I actually check the sharpness of the blades before each hunt! Even being in a quiver can dull them. :wink:
wabi
bowtime

Post by bowtime »

I have found that the Fusion block target will hold up very well to broadheads and
very easy to remove. You will have to resharpen the BH after testing and practice. But there is no other way to test your broadhead arrows for hunting that I know of.
I just did a test this AM. Used Gold Tip Lazere II with both Magnus two blade(black
solid) and Magnus three blade Snuffer (Black) .....both hit within 4" circle at 30
yards. No scope on Phoenix. Will use for Pronghorn in Colorado in Sept. :)
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I went through several different broads heads until I found ones that shoot exactly like my field points.So no need to resight at hunting time.
Tenpoint Matrix
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

I always just used the same BH over & over to practice with. It was dull as a butter knife but it flew the same as the sharp ones did.

Personally I got tired of hitting my other arrows (bolts) with my subsequent shots which happened a LOT more frequently than you'd think so I picked out one arrow & one BH to use for target practice after that, it was fire, walk, pull, walk, load, fire, repeat.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I have 5 points of aim on my target so I can shoot 3 to five arrows at once.
That way I don't wreck any.

Tenpoint Matrix
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

Dereck wrote:I have 5 points of aim on my target so I can shoot 3 to five arrows at once.
lol...yeah a big(ger) target is definitely better; no argument here.
lupien

Post by lupien »

Dereck wrote:I have 5 points of aim on my target so I can shoot 3 to five arrows at once.

Hey Dereck,

What is that target made of? By the looks of it I assume you built it yourself?

Thanks
lupien

Post by lupien »

Sorry to go a bit off topic here but whats the best way to re-sharpen the blades after a shot them in my target? I`ve never done this before (newbie)

Thanks
Brenjen

Post by Brenjen »

You'll find this like so many other things is a personal preference; I liked to use a diamond hone from a clamp on/angle setting kit like a lansky sharpening kit. Or just buy new ones, I've never found a new broadhead that wasn't sharp enough to drop the deer I shot but I always used either muzzy or thunderhead & didn't try other types (in other words - no experience with other blades) & I never had to track one farther than 10 yards in my life ( that I shot, now my buddy shot a BB one year.... :roll: )
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

lupien wrote:

Hey Dereck,

What is that target made of? By the looks of it I assume you built it yourself?

Thanks
It is made of a mesh bag like decoy bag material lots of old clothes with all zippers, buttons etc. taken off and put in a box to keep it upright.Also some blue 1/2" foam to keep the surface flat.
It works great and very easy to remove arrows.
Reason I made it.Cheap is the word.
Tenpoint Matrix