silencing question..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

strum

silencing question..

Post by strum »

I watched the slow mo video of the phoenix and like most i saw the string hit the riser about 3 times..
My dumb question is why do they not cut that shelf back a little and put some rubber blocks on it ,,seems to me thats a pretty violent smack and the rubber block should take some of the shock..(kind of a minnie sts)
has anyone tried this before..and i just had to try the sting leaches..looked good for one shot!!!!
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Boo

Re: silencing question..

Post by Boo »

I suspect the brace height is too low. If everything is right the string does not hit the riser. An Excel string should be set fairly close to the highest brace height line.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
strum

Post by strum »

Boo wrote:I suspect the brace height is too low. If everything is right the string does not hit the riser. An Excel string should be set fairly close to the highest brace height line.
I put a little piece of velcro on mine just to see,,(the fuzzy side ) and i cant see any marks from the string,,after shooting it a few times.. the string is just below the line fartherest from the riser..I guess that the high side ..correct? I didnt notice any sound difference either..
what do you think of the rubber block idea?.I mean if the block was thick enough so the sting would have to hit it ,,it should help dont you think?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

An easy way to tell if your string is hitting the riser is put some lip stick on the riser and fire the bow if their is lip stick on the string then you are hitting the riser.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
bdog

Post by bdog »

gerald strine wrote:An easy way to tell if your string is hitting the riser is put some lip stick on the riser and fire the bow if their is lip stick on the string then you are hitting the riser.
load with arrow and then fire the bow.....
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
Boo

Post by Boo »

strum wrote:
Boo wrote:I suspect the brace height is too low. If everything is right the string does not hit the riser. An Excel string should be set fairly close to the highest brace height line.
I put a little piece of velcro on mine just to see,,(the fuzzy side ) and i cant see any marks from the string,,after shooting it a few times.. the string is just below the line fartherest from the riser..I guess that the high side ..correct? I didnt notice any sound difference either..
what do you think of the rubber block idea?.I mean if the block was thick enough so the sting would have to hit it ,,it should help dont you think?
If you are just below the line closest to the trigger your string will not hit the riser. A small piece of putty will work better than the velcro to indicate contact. I don't think you will get the rubber to stick to be honest and you'll need a fairly thick piece of rubber to make your idea work. No harm in trying thats for sure.
strum

Post by strum »

im not saying mine is hiting..im saying in the video it looked like "that" sting was,,hitting ,,
but what im getting at is with all the talk about sts and how crappy they are has anyone tried the rubber block thing ?..it just seems like a block glued to that shelf would possibly silence the bow some,,is that not what a sts is supposed to do?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
strum

Post by strum »

bdog wrote:
gerald strine wrote:An easy way to tell if your string is hitting the riser is put some lip stick on the riser and fire the bow if their is lip stick on the string then you are hitting the riser.
load with arrow and then fire the bow.....
then put lipstick back in wifeys purse before she finds out //
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
Boo

Post by Boo »

strum wrote:im not saying mine is hiting..im saying in the video it looked like "that" sting was,,hitting ,,
but what im getting at is with all the talk about sts and how crappy they are has anyone tried the rubber block thing ?..it just seems like a block glued to that shelf would possibly silence the bow some,,is that not what a sts is supposed to do?
I agree that it looks like it is is hitting. If you use enough cushioning material it should work. You will need it thick enough to compress a fair bit. The more compression potential the more it will work.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I watched the video then put a couple pieces of adhesive backed "arrow rest" material made for trad bow shelf rests on the step in my Phoenix riser.

Only shot it a few times that way and can't really discern any difference with it on.

I'll leave it for now and see if it wears any.
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've seen people put a cushion on the riser . . .not sure what it was made of nor if it actually worked. However, I know it's been done. When I was making the STS for my bow, somebody sent me pictures of their bow with the rubber on the riser.

For some reason I think they used the stick-on limbsavers . . .not positive, it's been more than 15 minutes since I saw that . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

We have been there and done that. We have been aware that the string hits the riser since the Wolverine days and we tried adding rubber strips to the sight base way back then with no measurable decrease in noise or vibration. I was impressed to see the difference in vibration that the STS did to the bow in the slow motion shot though.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Strum

Since you pose this as a "silencing" question, I would have to say that foam plugs are far the best.

Put them in your ears, though. That way you will eliminate the noise you hear when you shoot. If you can stick a set into the deer's ears too, that would also be a good idea. That way he won't hear you fire your bow either. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You can't silence the bow to the point that it is actually silent. You will always hear it fire. So will the deer. Limit yourself to short range shots so the deer can't react in time to affect the point of impact of your arrow. If possible, shoot when the deer is not alerted--that reduces its chance to react to your shot.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Hi5 wrote:Strum

You can't silence the bow to the point that it is actually silent. You will always hear it fire. So will the deer. Limit yourself to short range shots so the deer can't react in time to affect the point of impact of your arrow. If possible, shoot when the deer is not alerted--that reduces its chance to react to your shot.
Well said.
I think all the "silencers" should be renamed vibration dampeners.
Tenpoint Matrix
strum

Post by strum »

Bill T wrote:We have been there and done that. We have been aware that the string hits the riser since the Wolverine days and we tried adding rubber strips to the sight base way back then with no measurable decrease in noise or vibration. I was impressed to see the difference in vibration that the STS did to the bow in the slow motion shot though.
I figgured that wasnt a new idea ,,thanks for the reply ..
and like you i also was impressed at the diff the STS made..More than just a silencer it realy reduces the shock,,
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony